Operation: Outer Space - Cover

Operation: Outer Space

Public Domain

Chapter 8

Before sunset, they reached the area of ashes where the ship had stood. Cochrane was sure that if anybody else had been left behind besides themselves, the landing-place was an inevitable rendezvous. Only three members of the ship’s company had been inside when Babs and Cochrane left to stroll for the two hours astronomers on Earth had set as a waiting-period. Jones had been in the ship, and Holden, and Alicia Simms. Everybody else had been exploring. Their attitude had been exactly that of sight-seers and tourists. But they could have gotten back before the take-off.

Apparently they had. Nobody seemed to have returned to the burned-over space since the ship’s departure. The blast of the rockets had erased all previous tracks, but still there was a thin layer of ash resettled over the clearing. Footprints would have been visible in it. Anybody remaining would have come here. Nobody had. Babs and Cochrane were left alone.

There were still temblors, but the sharper shocks no longer came. There was conflagration in the wood, where the lurching ship had left a long fresh streak of forest-fire. The two castaways stared at the round, empty landing-place. Overhead, the blue sky turned yellow--but where the smoke from the eruption rose, the sky early became a brownish red--and presently the yellow faded to gold. Unburned green foliage all about was singularly beautiful in that golden glow. But it was more beautiful still as the sky turned rose-pink and then carmine in turn, and then crimson from one horizon to the other save where the volcanic smoke-cloud marred the color. Then the east darkened, and became a red so deep as to be practically black, and unfamiliar bright stars began to peep through it.

Before darkness was complete, Cochrane dragged burning branches from the edge of the new fire--the heat was searing--and built a new and smaller fire in the place where the ship had been.

“This isn’t for warmth,” he explained briefly, “but so we’ll have light if we need it. And it isn’t likely that animals will be anything but afraid of it.”

He went off to drag charred masses of burnable stuff from the burned-out first forest fire. He built a sort of rampart in the very center of the clearing. He brought great heaps of scorched wood. He did not know how much was needed to keep the fire going until dawn.

When he finished, Babs was silently at work trying to find out how to keep the fire going. The burning parts had to be kept together. One branch, burning alone, died out. Two red-hot brands in contact kept each other alight.

“I’m sorry we haven’t anything to eat,” Cochrane told her.

“I’m not hungry,” she assured him. “What are we going to do now?”

“There’s nothing to do until morning.” Unconsciously, Cochrane looked grim. “Then there’ll be plenty. Food, for one thing. We don’t know, actually, whether or not there’s anything really edible on this planet--for us. It could be that there are fruits or possibly stalks or leaves that would be nourishing. Only--we don’t know which is which. We have to be careful. We might pick something like poison ivy!”

Babs said:

“But the ship will come back!”

“Of course,” agreed Cochrane. “But it may take them some time to find us. This is a pretty big planet, you know.”

He estimated his supply of burnable stuff. He improved the rampart he had made at first. Babs stared at him. After four or five minutes he stepped back.

“You can lean against this,” he explained. “You can watch the fire quite comfortably. And it’s a sort of wall. The fire will light one side of you and the wall will feel comforting behind you when you get sleepy.”

Babs nodded. She swallowed.

“I--think I see what you mean when you say they may have trouble finding us, because this planet is so large.”

Cochrane nodded reluctantly.

“Of course there’s this burned-off space for a marker,” he observed cheerfully. “But it could take several days for them to see it.”

Babs swallowed again. She said carefully:

“The--ship can’t hover like a helicopter, to search. You said so. It doesn’t have fuel enough. They can’t really search for us at all! The only way to make a real search would be to go back to Earth and--bring back helicopters and fuel for them and men to fly them ... Isn’t that right?”

“Not necessarily. But we do have to figure on a matter of--well--two or three days as a possibility.”

Babs moistened her lips and he said quickly:

“I did a show once about some miners lost in a wilderness. A period show. In it, they knew that part of their food was poisoned. They didn’t know what. They had to have all their food. And of course they didn’t have laboratories with which to test for poison.”

Babs eyed him oddly.

“They bandaged their arms,” said Cochrane, “and put scraps of the different foodstuffs under the bandages. The one that was poisonous showed. It affected the skin. Like an allergy-test. I’ll try that trick in the morning when there’s light to pick samples by. There are berries and stuff. There must be fruits. A few hours should test them.”

Babs said without intonation:

“And we can watch what the animals eat.”

Cochrane nodded gravely. Animals on Earth can live on things that--to put it mildly--humans do not find satisfying. Grass, for example. But it was good for Babs to think of cheering things right now. There would be plenty of discouragement to contemplate later.

There was a flicker of brightness in the sky. Presently the earth quivered. Something made a plaintive, “waa-waa-waaaaa!“ sound off in the night. Something else made a noise like the tinkling of bells. There was an abstracted hooting presently, which now was nearby and now was far away, and once they heard something which was exactly like the noise of water running into a pool. But the source of that particular burbling moved through the dark wood beyond the clearing.

It was not wholly dark where they were, even aside from their own small fire. The burning trees in the departing ship’s rocket-trail sent up a column of white which remaining flames illuminated. The remarkably primitive camp Cochrane had made looked like a camp on a tiny snow-field, because of the ashes.

“We’ve got to think about shelter,” said Babs presently, very quietly indeed. “If there are glaciers, there must be winter here. If there is winter, we have to find out which animals we can eat, and how to store them.”

“Hold on!” protested Cochrane. “That’s looking too far ahead!”

Babs clasped her hands together. It could have been to keep their trembling from being seen. Cochrane was regarding her face. She kept that under admirable control.

“Is it?” asked Babs. “On the broadcast Mr. Jamison said that there was as much land here as on all the continent of Asia. Maybe he exaggerated. Say there’s only as much land not ice-covered as there is in South America. It’s all forest and plain and--uninhabited.” She moistened her lips, but her voice was very steady. “If all of South America was uninhabited, and there were two people lost in it, and nobody knew where they were--how long would it take to find them?”

“It would be a matter of luck,” admitted Cochrane.

“If the ship comes back, it can’t hover to look for us. There isn’t fuel enough. It couldn’t spot us from space if it went in an orbit like a space platform. By the time they could get help--they wouldn’t even be sure we were alive. If we can’t count on being found right away, this burned-over place will be green again. In two or three weeks they couldn’t find it anyhow.”

Cochrane fidgeted. He had worked out all this for himself. He’d been disturbed at having to tell it, or even admit it to Babs. Now she said in a constrained voice:

“If men came to this planet and built a city and hunted for us, it might still be a hundred years before anybody happened to come into this valley. Looking for us would be worse than looking for a needle in a haystack. I don’t think we’re going to be found again.”

Cochrane was silent. He felt guiltily relieved that he did not have to break this news to Babs. Most men have an instinctive feeling that a woman will blame them for bad news they hear.

A long time later, Babs said as quietly as before:

“Johnny Simms asked me to come along while he went hunting. I didn’t. At least I--I’m not cast away with him!”

Cochrane said gruffly:

“Don’t sit there and brood! Try to get some sleep.”

She nodded. After a long while, her head drooped. She jerked awake again. Cochrane ordered her vexedly to make herself comfortable. She stretched out beside the wall of wood that Cochrane had made. She said quietly:

“While we’re looking for food tomorrow morning, we’d better keep our eyes open for a place to build a house.”

She closed her eyes.

Cochrane kept watch through the dark hours. He heard night-cries in the forest, and once toward dawn the distant volcano seemed to undergo a fresh paroxysm of activity. Boomings and explosions rumbled in the night. There were flickerings in the sky. But there were fewer temblors after it, and no shocks at all.

More than once, Cochrane found himself dozing. It was difficult to stay in a state of alarm. There was but one single outcry in the forest that sounded like the shriek of a creature seized by a carnivore. That was not nearby. He tried to make plans. He felt bitterly self-reproachful that he knew so few of the things that would be useful to a castaway. But he had been a city man all his life. Woodcraft was not only out of his experience--on overcrowded Earth it would have been completely useless.

From time to time he found himself thinking, instead of practical matters, of the astonishing sturdiness of spirit Babs displayed.

When she waked, well after daybreak, and sat up blinking, he said:

“Er--Babs. We’re in this together. From now on, if you want to tell me something for my own good, go ahead! Right?”

She rubbed her eyes on her knuckles and said,

“I’d have done that anyhow. For both our good. Don’t you think we’d better try to find a place where we can get a drink of water? Water has to be right to drink!”

They set off, Cochrane carrying the weapon he’d brought from the ship. It was Babs who pointed out that a stream should almost certainly be found where rain would descend, downhill. Babs, too, spotted one of the small, foot-high furry bipeds feasting gluttonously on small round objects that grew from the base of a small tree instead of on its branches. The tree, evidently, depended on four-footed rather than on flying creatures to scatter its seeds. They gathered samples of the fruit. Cochrane peeled a sliver of the meat from one of the round objects and put it under his watchstrap.

They found a stream. They found other fruits, and Cochrane prepared the same test for them as for the first. One of the samples turned his skin red and angry almost immediately. He discarded it and all the fruits of the kind from which it came.

At midday they tasted the first-gathered fruit. The flesh was red and juicy. There was a texture it was satisfying to chew on. The taste was indeterminate save for a very mild flavor of maple and peppermint mixed together.

They had no symptoms of distress afterward. Other fruits were less satisfactory. Of the samples which the skin-test said were non-poisonous, one was acrid and astringent, and two others had no taste except that of greenness--practically the taste of any leaf one might chew.

“I suppose,” said Cochrane wryly, as they headed back toward the ash-clearing at nightfall, “we’ve got to find out if the animals can be eaten.”

Babs nodded matter-of-factly.

“Yes. Tonight I’m taking part of the watch. As you remarked this morning, we’re in this together.”

He looked at her sharply, and she flushed.

“I mean it!” she said doggedly. “I’m watching part of the night!”

He was desperately tired. His muscles were not yet back to normal after the low gravity on the moon. She’d had more rest than he. He had to let her help. But there was embarrassment between them because it looked as if they would have to spend the rest of their lives together, and they had not made the decision. It had been made for them. And they had not acknowledged it yet.

When they reached the clearing, Cochrane began to drag new logs toward the central place where much of last night’s supply of fuel remained. Matter-of-factly, Babs began to haul stuff with him. He said vexedly:

“Quit it! I’ve already been realizing how little I know about the things we’re going to need to survive! Let me fool myself about masculine strength, anyhow!”

She smiled at him, a very little. But she went obediently to the fire to experiment with cookery of the one palatable variety of fruit from this planet’s trees. He drove himself to bring more wood than before. When he settled down she said absorbedly:

“Try this, Jed.”

Then she flushed hotly because she’d inadvertently used his familiar name. But she extended something that was toasted and not too much burned. He ate, with weariness sweeping over him like a wave. The cooked fruit was almost a normal food, but it did need salt. There would be trouble finding salt on this planet. The water that should be in the seas was frozen in the glaciers. Salt would not have been leached out of the soil and gathered in the seas. It would be a serious problem. But Cochrane was very tired indeed.

“I’ll take the first two hours,” said Babs briskly. “Then I’ll wake you.”

He showed her how to use the weapon. He meant to let himself drift quietly off to sleep, acting as if he had a little trouble going off. But he didn’t. He lay down, and the next thing he knew Babs was shaking him violently. In the first dazed instant when he opened his eyes he thought they were surrounded by forest fire. But it wasn’t that. It was dawn, and Babs had let him sleep the whole night through, and the sky was golden-yellow from one horizon to the other. More, he heard the now-familiar cries of creatures in the forest. But also he heard a roaring sound, very thin and far away, which could only be one thing.

“Jed! Jed! Get up! Quick! The ship’s coming back! The ship! We’ve got to move!”

She dragged him to his feet. He was suddenly wide-awake. He ran with her. He flung back his head and stared up as he ran. There was a pin-point of flame and vapor almost directly overhead. It grew swiftly in size. It plunged downward.

They reached the surrounding forest and plunged into it. Babs stumbled, and Cochrane caught her, and they ran onward hand in hand to get clear away from the down-blast of the rockets. The rocket-roaring grew louder and louder.

The castaways gazed. It was the ship. From below, fierce flames poured down, blue-white and raging. The silver hull slanted a little. It shifted its line of descent. It came down with a peculiar deftness of handling that Cochrane had not realized before. Its rockets splashed, but the flame did not extend out to the edge of the clearing that had been burned off at first. The rocket-flames, indeed, did not approach the proportion to be seen on rockets on film-tape, or as Cochrane had seen below the moon-rocket descending on Earth.

The ship settled within yards of its original landing-place. Its rockets dwindled, but remained burning. They dwindled again. The noise was outrageous, but still not the intolerable tumult of a moon-rocket landing on Earth.

The rockets cut off.

The airlock door opened. Cochrane and Babs waved cheerfully from the edge of the clearing. Holden appeared in the door and shouted down:

“Sorry to be so long coming back.”

He waved and vanished. They had, of course, to wait until the ground at least partly cooled before the landing-sling could be used. Around them the noises of the forest continued. There were cooling, crackling sounds from the ship.

“I wonder how they found their way back!” said Babs. “I didn’t think they ever could. Did you?”

“Babs,” said Cochrane, “you lied to me! You said you’d wake me in two hours. But you let me sleep all night!”

“You’d let me sleep the night before,” she told him composedly. “I was fresher than you were, and today’d have been a pretty bad one. We were going to try to kill some animals. You needed the rest.”

Cochrane said slowly:

“I found out something, Babs. Why you could face things. Why we humans haven’t all gone mad. I think I’ve gotten the woman’s viewpoint now, Babs. I like it.”

She inspected the looming blister-ports of the ship, now waiting for the ground to cool so they could come aboard.

“I think we’d have made out if the ship hadn’t come,” Cochrane told her. “We’d have had a woman’s viewpoint to work from. Yours. You looked ahead to building a house. Of course you thought of finding food, but you were thinking of the possibility of winter and--building a house. You weren’t thinking only of survival. You were thinking far ahead. Women must think farther ahead than men do!”

Babs looked at him briefly, and then returned to her apparently absorbed contemplation of the ship.

“That’s what’s the matter with people back on Earth,” Cochrane said urgently. “There’s no frustration as long as women can look ahead--far ahead, past here and now! When women can do that, they can keep men going. It’s when there’s nothing to plan for that men can’t go on because women can’t hope. You see? You saw a city here. A little city, with separate homes. On Earth, too many people can’t think of more than living-quarters and keeping food enough for them--them only!--coming in. They can’t hope for more. And it’s when that happens--You see?”

Babs did not answer. Cochrane fumbled. He said angrily:

“Confound it, can’t you see what I’m trying to say? We’d have been better off, as castaways, than back on Earth crowded and scared of our jobs! I’m saying I’d rather stay here with you than go back to the way I was living before we started off on this voyage! I think the two of us could make out under any circumstances! I don’t want to try to make out without you! It isn’t sense!” Then he scowled helplessly. “Dammit, I’ve staged plenty of shows in which a man asked a girl to marry him, and they were all phoney. It’s different, now that I mean it! What’s a good way to ask you to marry me?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close