The Alien
Chapter 4

Public Domain

“Del!” The shock of surprise and the flush of pleasure heightened the beauty of Illia’s delicate features. She stood in the doorway, the aureole of her pale golden hair backlighted by the illumination from within the room.

“Surprised?” said Underwood. He always found it difficult to speak for a moment after the first sight of Illia. No one would guess a beauty like her to be the top surgeon of Medical Center.

“Why didn’t you let me know you were coming? It’s not fair--”

“--not to give you time to build up your defenses?”

She nodded silently as he took her into his arms. But quickly she broke away and led him to the seat by the broad windows overlooking the night lights of the city below.

“Have you come back?” she said.

“Back? You put such a confusing amount of meaning into ordinary words, Illia.”

She smiled and sat down beside him, and swiftly changed the subject. “Tell me about the expedition. Archeology has always seemed the most futile of all sciences, but I’ve supposed that was because I could find nothing in common between it and my medical science, nothing in common with the future. I’ve wondered what a physicist could find in it.”

“I think you’ll find something in common with our latest discovery. We have a living though dormant creature on an equal or superior plane of intelligence with us. Its age is around half a million years. You will be interested in the medical aspects of that, I am sure.”


For a moment Illia sat as if she hadn’t heard him. Then she said, “That could be a discovery to change a world, if you’re sure of what you’ve found.”

Underwood felt irritation more because he had been trying to fight down the same idea himself than because she had spoken it. “Your semantic extensions would turn Phyfe’s whiskers white. We haven’t found any such world-shaking discovery. We’ve found a creature out of another age and another culture, but it’s not going to disrupt or change our society.”

“If it’s a scientifically superior culture, how do you know what it will do?”

“We don’t, but to apply so many extensions only confuses our interpretation more. I mention it because we are going to need a biological advisor. I thought you might like to be it.”

Her eyes were staring far out across the halo of the city’s lights. She said, “Del, is it human?”

“Human? What’s human? Is intelligence human? Can any other factor of our existence be defined as human? If you can tell me that, perhaps I can answer. So far, we only know that it is a sentient creature of high scientific culture.”

“Then that alone makes its relationship with us a sympathetic one?”

“Why, I suppose so. I see no reason why not.”

“Yes. Yes, I agree with you! And don’t you see? It can be a germ of rejuvenation, a nucleus to gather the scattered impulses of our culture and unify them in an absorption of this new science. Look what biological knowledge the mere evidence of suspended animation indicates.”

“All right.” Underwood laughed faintly in resignation. “There’s no use trying to avoid such a discussion with you, is there, Illia? You’d take the first flower of spring and project a whole summer’s glory from it, wouldn’t you?”

“But am I wrong in this? The people of Earth need something to cement them together in this period of disillusionment. This could be it.”

“I know,” said Underwood. “We talked it over out there before we decided to go ahead with the restoration. We talked and argued for hours. Some of the men wanted to destroy the thing immediately because it is impossible to forecast the effect of this discovery from a strictly semantic standpoint. We have no data.

“Terry Bernard definitely fought for its destruction. Phyfe is afraid of the possible consequences, but he maintains that we haven’t the right to destroy it because it is too great a heritage. I maintain that from a purely scientific standpoint we have no right to consider anything but restoration, regardless of consequences.

“And there is something more--the personal element. A creature whose imagination and daring were great enough to preserve his ego through an age of five hundred thousand years deserves something more than summary execution. He deserves the right to be known and heard. Actually, it seems ridiculous to fear anything that can come of this. Well, Phyfe and Terry are expert semanticists, and they’re afraid--”

“Oh, they’re wrong, Del! They must be wrong. If they have no data, if they have only a hunch, a prejudice, it’s ridiculous for them as scientists to be swayed by such feelings.”

“I don’t know. I wash my hands of all such aspects of the problem. I only know that I’m going to see that a guy who’s got the brains and guts this one must have had has his chance to be heard. So far, I’m on the winning side. Tomorrow I’m going to see Boarder and the Director’s Committee with Phyfe. If you’re interested in taking the job I mentioned, come along.”


The enthusiasm of the directors was even greater than that of Illia, if possible. None of them seemed to share the fears of some of the expedition members. And, somehow, in the warm familiarity of the committee room, those fears seemed fantastically groundless. Boarder, the elder member of the committee of directors, could not hold back his tears as he finished the report and Underwood had given verbal amplification.

“What a wonderful thing that this should have happened in our lifetime,” he said. “Do you think it is feasible? The thing seems so--so fantastic, the restoration of a living creature of half a million years ago.”

“I’m sure I don’t know the answer to that,” said Underwood. “No one does. The construction of the equipment described by the Stroid, though, is completely within range of our technical knowledge. I’m certain that we can set it up exactly according to specifications. It is possible that too much time has passed and the protoplasm has died. It is possible that Demarzule thought in terms of hundreds of years, or, at the most, a few thousand, before he would be found. There is no way to know except to construct the equipment and carry out the experiment, which I will do if the Directors wish to authorize the expenditure.”

“There is no question of that!” said Boarder. “We’d mortgage the entire Institution if necessary! I’m wondering what laboratory space we can use. Why not put it in the new Carlson Museum building? The specimens for the Carlson can stay in the warehouse for a while longer.”

Boarder looked about the circle of Directors facing him. He saw nods and called for a vote. His proposal was upheld.

With approval given, Phyfe returned to the expedition to supervise the transfer of the repository of Demarzule to Earth, while Underwood began infinitely detailed planning for the construction and setup of equipment as specified by the instructions he had brought from the Stroid repository.

The great semanticist, Dreyer, was asked to help in a consulting capacity for the whole project; specifically, to assist in retranslation of the records to make absolutely certain of their interpretation of the scientific instructions.

Dreyer was a short, squat man who had never been caught without a thick black cigar from which billowed endless columns of pale blue smoke. His face was round and baby-calm. He gave the impression of having achieved the impossible goal of complete serenity in a world that swirled with unceasing turmoil.


He listened quietly when approached, and when Phyfe and Underwood had finished their stories, he said, “Yes, I shall be glad to help. This is a thing of great importance.”

But Underwood was forced to shed his mind of sociological and semantic implications of the job they were doing. The technical work involved was of tremendous complexity and magnitude. A mountainous quantity of complicated equipment had to be designed and built, but as Underwood deciphered the instructions of the Stroids and had it verified by Dreyer, he could find no short cuts, nor did he dare attempt any.

The Carlson Museum had been designed along the lines of an ancient Greek temple and was set prominently on a low hill apart from other groups of buildings of the Smithson. Its glistening marble columns made a landmark for miles. It was rather symbolical in a way, Underwood thought, that such an imposing edifice should be appointed for the resurrection of the ancient Great One.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close