The Green Odyssey
Chapter 5

Public Domain

To Green, the next three weeks seemed to have shifted to low gear, they crept by so slowly. Yet they should have raced by quickly enough, so full of schemes and plots were they. He had to advise Miran on the many technical details involved in building tanks for the fish. He had to keep the Duchess happy, an increasingly difficult job because it was impossible to pretend a one-hundred-per-cent absorption in her while his mind desperately looked for flaws in his plans, found oh, so many, and then as anxiously sought ways of repairing them. Nevertheless he knew it was vital that he not displease or bore her. Prison would forever ruin his chances.

Worst of all, Amra was getting suspicious.

“You’re trying to conceal something from me,” she told Green. “You ought to know better. I can tell when a man is deceiving me. There’s something about the voice, the eyes, the way he makes love, though you’ve been doing very little of that. What are you plotting?”

“I assure you it’s simply that I’m very tired,” he said sharply. “All I want is some peace and quiet, a little rest and a little privacy now and then.”

“Don’t try to tell me that’s all!”

She cocked her head to one side and squinted at him, managing somehow even in this grotesque attitude to look ravishingly beautiful.

Suddenly she said, “You wouldn’t be thinking of running away, would you?”

For a second he became pale. Damn the woman anyway!

“Don’t be ridiculous,” he said, trying hard to keep his voice from cracking. “I’m too much aware of the penalties if I were caught. Besides, why should I want to run away? You are the most desirable woman I’ve ever known. (This was the truth.) Though you’re not the easiest one in the world to live with. (A master understatement.) I would have gotten no place without you. (True; but he couldn’t spend the rest of his life on this barbarous world.) And it is unthinkable that I would want to leave you.” (Inexpressible, yes, but not unthinkable. He couldn’t take her with him, for the simple reason that even if she would go she would never fit in his life on Earth. She’d be absolutely unhappy. Moreover, she’d not go anyway, because she’d refuse to abandon her children and would try to take them along, thus wrecking all his escape plans. He might just as well hire a brass band and march behind it out of the city and onto the windroller in the light of high noon.)

Nevertheless his conscience troubled him. If it was painful to leave Amra it was hell to leave Paxi, his daughter. For days he had considered taking her along with him, but eventually abandoned the idea. Trying to steal her from under Amra’s fiercely watchful gaze was almost impossible. Moreover, Paxi would miss her mother terribly, and he had no business exposing the baby to the risks of the voyage, which were many. Amra would be doubly hurt. Losing him would be bad enough, but to lose Paxi also... ! No, he couldn’t do that to her.

The outcome of this conversation with her was that she apparently dropped her suspicions. At least she never spoke of them again. He was glad of that, for it was impossible to keep entirely hidden his connection with the mysterious actions of Miran the Merchant. The whole city knew something was up. There was undoubtedly a lot of money tied up with this deal of the wagon caravan going to the seashore. But what did it all mean? Neither Miran nor Green would say a word, and while the Duke and Duchess might have used their authority to get the information from their slave, the Duke made no move. Miran had promised to let him in on a share of the profits, provided he gave the merchant a free hand and asked no questions. The Duke was quite content. He planned on spending the money to increase his collection of glass birds. He had ten large rooms of the castle glittering with his fantastic aviary: shining, silent and grotesquely beautiful, all products of the glass-blowers of the fabulous city of Metzva Moosh, far, far away across the grassy sea of the Xurdimur.

Green was present when the Duke talked to Miran about it.

“Now, Captain, you must understand just exactly what I do want,” warned the ruler, lifting a finger to emphasize the seriousness of his words. His eyes, usually deep-sunk in their fat, had widened to reveal large, brown and soulful orbs. The passion for his hobby shone forth. Nothing: good Chalousma wine, his wife, the torture of a heretic or runaway slave, could make him quiver and glitter with delight as much as the thought of the exquisitely wrought image of a Metzva Moosh bird.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close