Pagan Passions
Chapter 3

Public Domain

Resistance, such as it was, crumbled in a hurry. Forrester complied with fervor. An endless time went by, punctuated only by short breaths between the kisses. Forrester’s hands began to rove.

So did Maya’s.

She began to unbutton his shirt.

Not to be outdone, his own fingers got busy with buttons, zippers, hooks and the other temporary fastenings with which female clothing is encumbered. He was swimming in a red sea of passion and the Egyptians were nowhere in sight. Absently, he got an arm out of his shirt, and at the same time somehow managed to undo the final button of a series. Maya’s blouse fell free.

Forrester felt like stout Cortez.

He pulled the girl to him, feeling the surprisingly cool touch of her flesh against his. Under the blouse and skirt, he was discovering, she wore very little, and that was just as well; nagging thoughts about the doubtful privacy of his office were beginning to assail him.

Nevertheless, he persevered. Maya was as eager as he had ever dreamed of being, and their embrace reached a height of passion and began to climb and climb to hitherto unknown peaks of sensation.

Forrester was busy for some time discovering things he had never known, and a lot of things he had known before, but never so well. Every motion was met with a reaction that was more than equal and opposite, every sensation unlocked the doors to whole galleries of new sensations. Higher and higher went his emotional thermometer, higher and higher and higher and higher and...

Very suddenly, he discovered how to breathe again, and it was over.

“My goodness,” Maya said after a brief resting spell. “I suppose I must love you for sure. My goodness!”

“Sure,” Forrester said. “And now--if you’ll pardon the indelicacy and hand me my pants--” he found he was still puffing a little and paused until he could go on--”I’ve got an appointment I simply can’t afford to miss.”

“Oh, all right,” Maya said. “But Mr. Forrester--”

He rolled over and looked at her while he began dressing. “I suppose it would be all right if you called me Bill,” he said carefully.

“In class, too?”

Forrester shook his head. “No,” he said. “Not in class.”

“But what I wanted to ask--”

“Yes?” Forrester said.

“Mr.--Bill--do you think I’ll pass Introductory World History?”

Forrester considered that question. There was certainly a wide variety of answers he could construct. When he had finished buttoning his shirt he had decided on one.

“I don’t see why not,” he said, “so long as you complete your assignments regularly.”


Nearly two hours later, feeling somewhat light-headed but otherwise in perfectly magnificent fettle, Forrester found himself on the downtown subway. He’d showered and changed and he was whistling a gay little tune as he checked his watch.

The time was five minutes to five. He had just over an hour before he was due to appear at the Tower of Zeus All-Father, but it was better to be a few minutes early than even a single second late.

The train ride was a little bumpy, but Forrester didn’t really mind. He was pretty well past being irritated by anything. Nevertheless, he was speculating with just a faint unease as to what the Pontifex Maximus wanted with him. What was in store for him at the strange appointment?

And why all the secrecy?

His brooding was interrupted right away. At 100th Street, a bearded old man got on and sat down next to him. He nudged Forrester in the ribs and muttered: “Look at that now, Daddy-O. Look at that.”

“What?” Forrester said, constrained into conversation.

“Damn subways, that’s what,” the old man said. “Worse every year. Bumpier and slower and worse. Just look around, Daddy-O. Look around.”

“I wouldn’t quite say--” Forrester began, but the old man gave him another dig in the ribs and cut in:

“Wouldn’t say, wouldn’t say,” he muttered. “Listen, man, there ain’t been an improvement in years. You realize that?”

“Well, I--”

“No progress, man, not in more than half a century. Listen, when I was a teen king--War Councilor for the Boppers, I was, and let me tell you that was big time, Daddy-O--when I was a teen king, we were going places. Going places for real. Mars. Venus. We were going to have spaceships, man.”

Forrester smiled spasmically at the old man. “I’m sure you--”

“But what happened?” the old man interrupted. “Tell you what happened, man. We never got to Mars and Venus. Mars and Venus came to us instead. Right along with Jupiter and Neptune and Pluto and all the rest of the Gods. And we had no progress ever since that day, Daddy-O, no progress at all and you can believe it.”

He dug Forrester in the ribs one final time and sat back with melancholy satisfaction.

“Well,” Forrester said mildly, “what good is progress?” The old man, he assured himself after a moment’s reflection, wasn’t actually saying anything blasphemous. After all, the Gods didn’t expect their worshippers to be mindless slaves.

Somehow the notion made him feel happier. He’d have hated reporting the old man. Something in the outdated slang made him feel--almost patriotic. The old man was a part of America, a respected and important part.

The respected part of America made itself felt again in Forrester’s ribs. “Progress?” the old man said. “What good’s progress? Listen, Daddy-O--how can the human race get anywhere without progress? Answer me that, will you, man? Because it’s for-sure real we’re not going any place now. No place at all.”

“Now look,” Forrester said patiently, “progress is an outmoded idea. We’ve got to be in step with the times. We’ve got to ask ourselves what progress ever did for us. How did we stand when the Gods returned?” For a brief flash he was back in his history class, but he went on: “Half the world ready to fight the other half with weapons that would have wiped both halves out. You ought to be grateful the Gods returned when they did.”

“But we’re getting into Nowheresville, man,” the old man complained. “We’re not in orbit. We can’t progress.”

Forrester sighed. Why was he talking to the old man, anyway? The answer came to him as soon as he’d asked the question. He wanted to keep his mind off the Tower of Zeus and his own unknown fate there. It was an unpleasant answer; Forrester blanked it out.

“Now, friend,” he said. “What have you got? Just what mankind’s been looking for all these centuries. Security. You’ve got security. Nobody’s going to blow you to pieces tomorrow. Your job isn’t going to vanish overnight. I mean, if you--”

“I got a job,” the old man said.

“Really?” Forrester said politely. “What is it?”

“Retired. And it’s a tough job, too.”

“Oh,” Forrester said.

“And anyhow,” the old man went on, “what’s all this got to do with progress?”

Forrester thought. “Well--”

“Well, nothing,” the old man said. “Listen to me, man. I say nothing against the Gods--right? Nothing at all. Wouldn’t want to do anything like that. But at the same time, it looks to me like we ought to be able to--reap the fruits of our labors. I read that some place.”

“But--”

“In the three thousand years the Gods were gone, we weren’t a total loss, man. Not anything like. We discovered a lot. About nature and science and like that. We invented science all by ourselves. So how come the Gods don’t let us use it?” The old man dug his elbow once more into Forrester’s rib. “How come?”

“The Gods haven’t taken anything away from us,” Forrester said.

“Haven’t they?” the old man demanded. “How about television? Want to answer that one, Daddy-O? Years ago, everybody had a television set. Color and 3-D. The most. The end. Now there’s no television at all. Why not? What happened to it?”

“Well,” Forrester said reasonably, “what good is television?”

“What good?” Once more Forrester’s rib felt the old man’s elbow. “Let me tell you--”

“No,” Forrester interrupted, suddenly irritated with the whole conversation. “Let me tell you. The trouble with your generation was that all they wanted to do was sit around on their glutei maximi and be entertained. Like a bunch of hypnotized geese. They didn’t want to do anything for themselves. Half of them couldn’t even read. And now you want to tell me that--”

“Hold it, Daddy-O,” the old man said. “You’re telling me that the Gods took away television just because we were a bunch of hypnotized geese. That it?”

“That’s it.”

“Okay,” the old man said. “So tell me--what are we now? With the Gods and everything. I mean, man, really--what are we?”

“Now?” Forrester said. “Now you’re retired. You’re a bunch of retired hypnotized geese.”

The doors of the train slid creakily open and Forrester got out onto the 34th Street platform, walking angrily toward a stairway without looking back.

True enough, the old man hadn’t committed blasphemy, but it had certainly come close enough there at the end. And if pokes with the elbow weren’t declared blasphemous, or at least equivalent to malicious mischief, he thought, there was no justice in the world.

The real trouble was that the man had had no respect for the Gods. There were a good many of the older generation like him. They seemed to feel that humanity had been better off when the Gods had been away. Forrester couldn’t see it, and felt vaguely uncomfortable in the presence of someone who believed it. After all, mankind had been on the verge of mass suicide, and the Gods had mercifully come back from their self-imposed exile and taken care of things. The exile had been designed to prove, in the drastic laboratory of three thousand years, that Man by himself headed like a lemming for self-destruction. And, for Forrester, the point had been proven.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close