A Crystal Age - Cover

A Crystal Age

Public Domain

Chapter 10

At length the joyful day arrived when I was to cease, in outward appearance at all events, to be an alien; for returning at noon from the fields, on entering my cell I beheld my beautiful new garments--two complete suits, besides underwear: one, the most soberly colored, intended only for working hours; but the second, which was for the house, claimed my first attention. Trembling with eagerness, I flung off the old tweeds, the cracked boots, and other vestiges of a civilization which they had perhaps survived, and soon found that I had been measured with faultless accuracy; for everything, down to the shoes, fitted to perfection. Green was the prevailing or ground tint--a soft sap green; the pattern on it, which was very beautiful, being a somewhat obscure red, inclining to purple. My delight culminated when I drew on the hose, which had, like those worn by the others, a curious design, evidently borrowed from the skin of some kind of snake. The ground color was light green, almost citron yellow, in fact, and the pattern a bright maroon red, with bronze reflections.

I had no sooner arrayed myself than, with a flushed face and palpitating heart, I flew to exhibit myself to my friends, and found them assembled and waiting to see and admire the result of their work. The pleasure I saw reflected in their transparent faces increased my happiness a hundredfold, and I quite astonished them with the torrent of eloquence in which I expressed my overflowing gratitude.

“Now, tell me one secret,” I exclaimed, when the excitement began to abate a little. “Why is green the principal color in my clothes, when no other person in the house wears more than a very little of it?”

I had no sooner spoken than I heartily wished that I had held my peace; for it all at once occurred to me that green was perhaps the color for an alien or mere hireling, in which light they perhaps regarded me.

“Oh, Smith, can you not guess so simple a thing?” said Edra, placing her white hands on my shoulders and smiling straight into my face.

How beautiful she looked, standing there with her eyes so near to mine! “Tell me why, Edra?” I said, still with a lingering apprehension.

“Why, look at the color of my eyes and skin--would this green tint be suitable for me to wear?”

“Oh, is that the reason!” cried I, immensely relieved. “I think, Edra, you would look very beautiful in any color that is on the earth, or in the rainbow above the earth. But am I so different from you all?”

“Oh yes, quite different--have you never looked at yourself? Your skin is whiter and redder, and your hair has a very different color. It will look better when it grows long, I think. And your eyes--do you know that they never change! for when we look at you closely they are still blue-gray, and not green.”

“No; I wish they were,” said I. “Now I shall value my clothes a hundred times more, since you have taken so much pains to make them--well, what shall I say?--harmonize, I suppose, with the peculiar color of my mug. Dash it all, I’m blundering again! I mean--I mean--don’t you know----”

Edra laughed and gave it up. Then we all laughed; for now evidently my blundering did not so much matter, since I had shed my outer integument, and come forth like a snake (with a divided tail) in a brand new skin.

Presently I missed Yoletta from the room, and desiring above all things to have some word of congratulation from her lips, I went off to seek her. She was standing under the portico waiting for me. “Come,” she said, and proceeded to lead me into the music-room, where we sat down on one of the couches close to the dais; there she produced some large white tablets, and red chalk pencils or crayons.

“Now, Smith, I am going to begin teaching you,” said she, with the grave air of a young schoolmistress; “and every afternoon, when your work is done, you must come to me here.”

“I hope I am very stupid, and that it will take me a long time to learn,” said I.

“Oh”--she laughed--”do you think it will be so pleasant sitting by me here? I am glad you think that; but if you prefer me for a teacher you must not try to be stupid, because if you do I shall ask some one else to take my place.”

“Would you really do that, Yoletta?”

“Yes. Shall I tell you why? Because I have a quick, impatient temper. Everything wrong I have ever done, for which I have been punished, has been through my hasty temper.”

“And have you ever undergone that sad punishment of being shut up by yourself for many days, Yoletta?”

“Yes, often; for what other punishment is there? But oh, I hope it will never happen again, because I think--I know that I suffer more than any one can imagine. To tread on the grass, to feel the sun and wind on my face, to see the earth and sky and animals--this is like life to me; and when I am shut up alone, every day seems--oh, a year at least!” She did not know how much dearer this confession of one little human weakness made her seem to me. “Come, let us begin,” she said. “I waited for your new clothes to be finished, and we must make up for lost time.”

“But do you know, Yoletta, that you have not said anything about them? Do I look nice; and will you like me any better now?”

“Yes, much better. You were a poor caterpillar before; I liked you a little because I knew what a pretty butterfly you would be in time. I helped to make your wings. Now, listen.”

For two hours she taught me, making her red letters or marks, which I copied on my tablet, and explaining them to me; and at the conclusion of the lesson, I had got a general idea that the writing was to a great extent phonographic, and that I was in for rather a tough job.

“Do you think that you will be able to teach me to sing also?” I asked, when she had put the tablets aside.

The memory of that miserable failure, when I “had led the singing,” was a constant sore in my mind. I had begun to think that I had not done myself justice on that memorable occasion, and the desire to make another trial under more favorable circumstances was very strong in me.

She looked a little startled at my question, but said nothing.

“I know now,” I continued pleadingly, “that you all sing softly. If you will only consent to try me once I promise to stick like cobbler’s wax--I beg your pardon, I mean I will endeavor to adhere to the morendo and perdendosi style--don’t you know? What am I saying! But I promise you, Yoletta, I shan’t frighten you, if you will only let me try and sing to you once.”

She turned from me with a somewhat clouded expression of face, and walked with slow steps to the dais, and placing her hands on the keys, caused two of the small globes to revolve, sending soft waves of sound through the room.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close