The Girl in the Golden Atom - Cover

The Girl in the Golden Atom

Public Domain

Chapter 16: The Pit Of Darkness

At the suggestion of the Very Young Man they located without much difficulty a sort of cave amid the rocks, which offered shelter for their rest. Taking turns watching, they passed eight hours in fair comfort, and by noon next day, after another frugal meal they felt thoroughly refreshed and eager to continue the journey.

“We sure are doing this classy,” observed the Very Young Man. “Think of Rogers--all he could do was fall asleep when he couldn’t stay awake any more. Gosh, what chances he took!”

“We’re playing it safe,” agreed the Big Business Man.

“But we mustn’t take it too easy,” added the Doctor.

The Very Young Man stretched himself luxuriously and buckled his belt on tighter. “Well, I’m ready for anything,” he announced. “What’s next?”

The Doctor consulted his papers. “We find the circular pit Rogers made in the scratch and we descend into it. We take twelve more pills at the edge of the pit,” he said.

The Very Young Man leaped to the top of a rock and looked out over the desolate waste helplessly. “How are we going to find the pit?” he asked dubiously. “It’s not in sight, that’s sure.”

“It’s down there--about five miles,” said the Doctor. “I saw it yesterday as we came down.”

“That’s easy,” said the Very Young Man, and he started off enthusiastically, followed by the others.

In less than two hours they found themselves at the edge of the pit. It appeared almost circular in form, apparently about five miles across, and its smooth, shining walls extended almost perpendicularly down into blackness. Somewhat awed by the task confronting them in getting down into this abyss, the three friends sat down near its brink to discuss their plan of action.

“We take twelve pills here,” said the Doctor. “That ought to make us small enough to climb down into that.”

“Do you think we need so many?” asked the Big Business Man thoughtfully. “You know, Frank, we’re making an awful lot of work for ourselves, playing this thing so absolutely safe. Think of what a distance down that will be after we have got as small as twelve pills will make us. It might take us days to get to the bottom.”

“How did Rogers get down?” the Very Young Man wanted to know.

“He took the twelve pills here,” the Doctor answered.

“But as I understand it, he fell most of the way down while he was still big, and then got small afterwards at the bottom.” This from the Big Business Man.

“I don’t know how about you,” said the Very Young Man drily, “but I’d much rather take three days to walk down than fall down in one day.”

The Doctor smiled. “I still think,” he said, “that we had better stick to the directions Rogers left us. Then at least there is no danger of our getting lost in size. But I agree with you, Jack. I’d rather not fall down, even if it takes longer to walk.”

“I wonder----” began the Big Business Man. “You know I’ve been thinking--it does seem an awful waste of energy for us to let ourselves get smaller than absolutely necessary in climbing down these places. Maybe you don’t realize it.”

“I do,” said the Very Young Man, looking sorrowfully at the ragged shoes on his feet and the cuts and bruises on his legs.

“What I mean is----” persisted the Big Business Man.

“How far do you suppose we have actually traveled since we started last night?”

“That’s pretty hard to estimate,” said the doctor. “We have walked perhaps fifteen miles altogether, besides the climb down. I suppose we actually came down five or six thousand feet.”

“And at the size we are now it would have been twelve thousand feet down, wouldn’t it?”

“Yes,” answered the Doctor, “it would.”

“And just think,” went on the Big Business Man, “right now, based on the size we were when we began, we’ve only gone some six feet altogether from the place we started.”

“And a sixteenth of an inch or less since we left the surface of the ring,” said the Doctor smiling.

“Gee, that’s a weird thought,” the Very Young Man said, as he gazed in awe at the lofty heights about them.

“I’ve been thinking,” continued the Big Business Man. “You say we must be careful not to get lost in size. Well, suppose instead of taking twelve pills here, we only take six. That should be enough to get us started--possibly enough to get us all the way down. Then before we moved at all we could take the other six. That would keep it straight, wouldn’t it?”

“Great idea,” said the Very Young Man. “I’m in favor of that.”

“It sounds feasible--certainly if we can get all the way down with six pills we will save a lot of climbing.”

“If six aren’t enough, we can easily take more,” added the Big Business Man.

And so they decided to take only six pills of the drug and to get down to the bottom of the pit, if possible, without taking more. The pit, as they stood looking down into it now, seemed quite impossible of descent, for its almost perpendicular wall was smooth and shining as polished brass.

They took the drug, standing close together at the edge of the pit. Immediately began again the same crawling sensation underfoot, much more rapid this time, while all around them the rocks began very rapidly increasing in size.

The pit now seemed widening out at an astounding rate. In a few minutes it had broadened so that its opposite side could not be seen. The wall at the brink of which they stood had before curved in a great sweeping arc to enclose the circular hole; now it stretched in a nearly straight, unbroken line to the right and left as far as they could see. Beneath them lay only blackness; it was as though they were at the edge of the world.

“Good God, what a place to go down into,” gasped the Big Business Man, after they had been standing nearly half an hour in silence, appalled at the tremendous changes taking place around them.

For some time past the wall before them had become sufficiently indented and broken to make possible their descent. It was the Doctor who first realized the time--or perhaps it should be said, the size--they were losing by their inactivity; and when with a few crisp words he brought them to themselves, they immediately started downward.

For another six hours they traveled downward steadily, stopping only once to eat. The descent during this time was not unlike that down the side of the valley, although towards the last it began rapidly to grow less precipitous.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close