The Girl in the Golden Atom - Cover

The Girl in the Golden Atom

Public Domain

Chapter 21: A Life Worth Living

The appearance of Lylda at one of the long windows of the balcony, interrupted the men for a moment. She was dressed in a tunic of silver, of curious texture, like flexible woven metal, reaching to her knees. On her feet were little fiber sandals. Her hair was twisted in coils, piled upon her head, with a knot low at the back of the neck. From her head in graceful folds hung a thin scarf of gold.

She stood waiting in the window a moment for them to notice her; then she said quietly, “I am going for a time to the court.” She hesitated an instant over the words. The Chemist inclined his head in agreement, and with a smile at her guests, and a little bow, she withdrew.

The visitors looked inquiringly at their host.

“I must tell you about our government,” said the Chemist. “Lylda plays quite an important part in it.” He smiled at their obvious surprise.

“The head of the government is the king. In reality he is more like the president of a republic; he is chosen by the people to serve for a period of about twenty years. The present king is now in--well let us say about the fifteenth year of his service. This translation of time periods into English is confusing,” he interjected somewhat apologetically. “We shall see the king to-morrow; you will find him a most intelligent, likeable man.

“As a sort of congress, the king has one hundred and fifty advisers, half of them women, who meet about once a month. Lylda is one of these women. He also has an inner circle of closer, more intimate counselors consisting of four men and four women. One of these women is the queen; another is Lylda. I am one of the men.

“The capital of the nation is Arite. Each of the other cities governs itself in so far as its own local problems are concerned according to a somewhat similar system, but all are under the central control of the Arite government.”

“How about the country in between, the--the rural population?” asked the Big Business Man.

“It is all apportioned off to the nearest city,” answered the Chemist. “Each city controls a certain amount of the land around it.

“This congress of one hundred and fifty is the law-making body. The judiciary is composed of one court in each city. There is a leader of the court, or judge, and a jury of forty--twenty men and twenty women. The juries are chosen for continuous service for a period of five years. Lylda is at present serving in the Arite court. They meet very infrequently and irregularly, called as occasion demands. A two-thirds vote is necessary for a decision; there is no appeal.”

“Are there any lawyers?” asked the Big Business Man.

“There is no one who makes that his profession, no. Generally the accused talks for himself or has some relative, or possibly some friend to plead his case.”

“You have police?” the Doctor asked.

“A very efficient police force, both for the cities and in the country. Really they are more like detectives than police; they are the men I sent up into the forest to meet you. We also have an army, which at present consists almost entirely of this same police force. After the Malite war it was of course very much larger, but of late years it has been disbanded almost completely.

“How about money?” the Very Young Man wanted to know.

“There is none!” answered the Chemist with a smile.

“Great Scott, how can you manage that?” ejaculated the Big Business Man.

“Our industrial system undoubtedly is peculiar,” the Chemist replied, “but I can only say again, it works. We have no money, and, so far, none apparently is needed. Everything is bought and sold as an exchange. For instance, suppose I wish to make a living as a farmer. I have my land----”

“How did you get it?” interrupted the Very Young Man quickly.

“All the land is divided up pro rata and given by each city to its citizens. At the death of its owner it reverts to the government, and each citizen coming of age receives his share from the surplus always remaining.”

“What about women? Can they own land too?” asked the Very Young Man.

“They have identical rights with men in everything,” the Chemist answered.

“But women surely cannot cultivate their own land?” the Doctor said. Evidently he was thinking of Lylda’s fragile little body, and certainly if most of the Oroid women were like her, labour in the fields would be for them quite impossible.

“A few women, by choice, do some of the lighter forms of manual labor--but they are very few. Nearly every woman marries within a few years after she receives her land; if it is to be cultivated, her husband then takes charge of it.”

“Is the cultivation of land compulsory?” asked the Big Business Man.

“Only when in a city’s district a shortage of food is threatened. Then the government decides the amount and kind of food needed, and the citizens, drawn by lot, are ordered to produce it. The government watches very carefully its food supply. In the case of overproduction, certain citizens, those less skillful, are ordered to work at something else.

“This supervision over supply and demand is exercised by the government not only in the question of food but in manufactures, in fact, in all industrial activities. A very nice balance is obtained, so that practically no unnecessary work is done throughout the nation.

“And gentlemen, do you know, as a matter of fact, I think that is the secret of a race of people being able to live without having to work most of its waking hours? If your civilization could eliminate all its unnecessary work, there would be far less work to do.”

“I wonder--isn’t this balance of supply and demand very difficult to maintain?” asked the Big Business Man thoughtfully.

“Not nearly so difficult as you would think,” the Chemist answered. “In the case of land cultivation, the government has a large reserve, the cultivation of which it adjusts to maintain this balance. Thus, in some districts, the citizens do as they please and are never interfered with.

“The same is true of manufactures. There is no organized business in the nation--not even so much as the smallest factory--except that conducted by the government. Each city has its own factories, whose production is carefully planned exactly to equal the demand.”

“Suppose a woman marries and her land is far away from her husband’s? That would be sort of awkward, wouldn’t it?” suggested the Very Young Man.

“Each year at a stated time,” the Chemist answered, “transfers of land are made. There are generally enough people who want to move to make satisfactory changes of location practical. And then of course, the government always stands ready to take up any two widely separate pieces of land, and give others in exchange out of its reserve.”

“Suppose you don’t like the new land as well?” objected the Very Young Man.

“Almost all land is of equal value,” answered the Chemist. “And of course, its state of cultivation is always considered.”

“You were speaking about not having money,” prompted the Very Young Man.

“The idea is simply this: Suppose I wish to cultivate nothing except, let us say, certain vegetables. I register with the government my intention and the extent to which I propose to go. I receive the government’s consent. I then take my crops as I harvest them and exchange them for every other article I need.”

“With whom do you exchange them?” asked the Doctor.

“Any one I please--or with the government. Ninety per cent of everything produced is turned in to the government and other articles are taken from its stores.”

“How is the rate of exchange established?” asked the Big Business Man.

“It is computed by the government. Private exchanges are supposed to be made at the same rate. It is against the law to cut under the government rate. But it is done, although apparently not with sufficient frequency to cause any trouble.”

“I should think it would be tremendously complicated and annoying to make all these exchanges,” observed the Big Business Man.

“Not at all,” answered the Chemist, “because of the governmental system of credits. The financial standing of every individual is carefully kept on record.”

“Without any money? I don’t get you,” said the Very Young Man with a frown of bewilderment.

The Chemist smiled. “Well, I don’t blame you for that. But I think I can make myself clear. Let us take the case of Loto, for instance, as an individual. When he comes of age he will be allotted his section of land. We will assume him to be without family at that time, entirely dependent on his own resources.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close