The Girl in the Golden Atom - Cover

The Girl in the Golden Atom

Public Domain

Chapter 34: The Decision

“Giants!” exclaimed the Doctor, staring across the country towards Orlog. There was dismay in his voice.

The Big Business Man, standing beside him, clutched at his robe. “How many do you make out; they look like three to me.”

The Doctor strained his eyes into the dim, luminous distance. “Three, I think--one taller than the others; it must be Jack.” His voice was a little husky, and held none of the confidence his words were intended to convey.

Lylda was upon her feet now, standing beside the Chemist. She stared towards Orlog searchingly, then turned to him and said quietly, “It must be Jack and Aura, with Loto.” She stopped with quivering lips; then with an obvious effort went on confidently. “It cannot be that the God you believe in would let anything happen to them.”

“They’re coming this way--fast,” said the Big Business Man. “We’ll know in a few moments.”

The figures, plainly visible now against the starry background, were out in the open country, half a mile perhaps from the lake, and were evidently rapidly approaching Arite.

“If it should be Targo’s men,” the Big Business Man added, “we must take more of the drug. It is death then for them or for us.”

In silence the six of them stood ankle deep in the water waiting. The multitude of little people on the beach and in the nearby city streets were dispersing now. A steady stream was flowing up the steps from the beach, and back into the city. Five minutes more and only a fringe of those in whom frenzy still raged remained at the water’s edge; a few of these, more daring, or more unreasoning than the others, plunged into the lake and swam about the giants’ ankles unnoticed.

Suddenly Lylda gave a sigh of relief. “Aura it is,” she cried. “Can you not see, there at the left? Her short robe--you see--and her hair, flowing down so long; no man is that.”

“You’re right,” said the Big Business Man. “The smallest one on this side is Loto; I can see him. And Jack is leading. It’s all right; they’re safe. Thank God for that; they’re safe, thank God!” The fervent relief in his voice showed what a strain he had been under.

It was Jack; a moment more left no doubt of that. The Big Business Man turned to the Chemist and Lylda, where they stood close together, and laying a hand upon the shoulder of each said with deep feeling: “We have all come through it safely, my friends. And now the way lies clear before us. We must go back, out of this world, to which we have brought only trouble. It is the only way; you must see that.”

Lylda avoided his eyes.

“All through it safely,” she murmured after him. “All safe except--except my father.” Her arm around the Chemist tightened. “All safe--except those.” She turned her big, sorrowful eyes towards the beach, where a thousand little mangled figures lay dead and dying. “All safe--except those.”

It was only a short time before the adventurers from Orlog arrived, and Loto was in his mother’s arms. The Very Young Man, with mixed feelings of pride at his exploit and relief at being freed from so grave a responsibility, happily displayed Aura to his friends.

“Gosh, I’m glad we’re all together again; it had me scared, that’s a fact.” His eye fell upon the beach. “Great Scott, you’ve been having a fight, too? Look at that.” The Big Business Man and the Doctor outlined briefly what had happened, and the Very Young Man answered in turn with an account of his adventures.

Aura joined her sister and Loto. The Chemist after a moment stood apart from the others thinking deeply. He had said little during all the events of the afternoon and evening. Now he reached the inevitable decision that events had forced upon him. His face was very serious as he called his companions around him.

“We must decide at once,” he began, looking from one to the other, “what we are to do. Our situation here has become intolerable--desperate. I agree with you,” his glance rested on the Big Business Man an instant; “by staying here we can only do harm to these misguided people.”

“Of course,” the Big Business Man interjected under his breath.

“If the drugs should ever get out of our possession down here, immeasurable harm would result to this world, as well as causing our own deaths. If we leave now, we save ourselves; although we leave the Oroids ruled by Targo. But without the power of the drugs, he can do only temporary harm. Eventually he will be overthrown. It is the best way, I think. And I am ready to leave.”

“It’s the only way,” the Big Business Man agreed. “Don’t you think so?” The Doctor and the Very Young Man both assented.

“The sooner the better,” the Very Young Man added. He glanced at Aura, and the thought that flashed into his mind made his heart jump violently.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close