The Year When Stardust Fell - Cover

The Year When Stardust Fell

Public Domain

Chapter 7: Dust from the Stars

Ken felt he had grown 3 inches taller after his father’s discussion. As if he had passed some ancient ritual, he could be admitted to the company of adults and his opinions would be heard.

This proved to be true. His father rapidly organized the facilities of the college laboratories and recruited every possible science student in the chemistry and physics departments, as well as many from the high school. As these plans were outlined, Ken made a proposal of his own.

“I believe our first move,” he said, “should be to set up a network of amateur radio stations operating in cities where there are other laboratories. If you could be in touch with them, ideas could be exchanged and duplication of work avoided.”

“An excellent idea,” said Professor Maddox. “You can work it out as we go along.”

“No. It ought to be done immediately,” Ken said. “If not, it may be almost impossible to find anyone on the air later. There may not be many amateurs who will bother to convert their rigs to battery operation. There may not be many who can get the batteries together.”

“Good enough!” his father said. “Let that have priority over everything else until you get it organized. Probably you should find at least two contacts in each of the university centers. Put at the top of your list Berkeley, Pasadena, Chicago, New York, and Washington, D.C.

“See if you can get relay contacts that will put us in touch with Stockholm, Paris, London, Berlin, and Tokyo. If so, we can have contact with the majority of the workers capable of contributing most to this problem.”

“I’ll do my best,” Ken promised.

Someone would be needed to operate the station and spend a good many hours a week listening and recording. He didn’t want to spend the time necessary doing that, and he knew none of the other club members would, either. At once he thought of Maria Larsen. She would undoubtedly be happy to take over the job and feel she was doing something useful. On the way home he stopped at her house and told her what he had in mind. She readily agreed.

“I don’t know anything about radio,” she said. “You’ll have to show me what to do.”

“We won’t expect you to learn code, of course,” he said. “When we do handle anything coming in by code one of us will have to take it. We’ll try to contact phone stations wherever possible for this program we have in mind. Most of the stuff will be put on tape, and Dad will probably want you to prepare typed copies, too. You can do enough to take a big load off the rest of us.”

“I’ll be happy to try.”

They spent the rest of the day in the radio room of the science shack. Ken taught Maria the simple operations of turning on the transmitter and receiver, of handling the tuning controls, and the proper procedure for making and receiving calls. He supposed there would be some technical objection to her operation of the station without an operator’s license, but he was quite sure that such things were not important right now.

It was a new kind of experience for Maria. Her face was alive with excitement as Ken checked several bands to see where amateurs were still operating. The babble of high-frequency code whistles alternated in the room with faint, sometimes muffled voices on the phone band.

“There are more stations than I expected,” Ken said. “With luck, we may be able to establish a few of the contacts we need, tonight.”

After many tries, he succeeded in raising an operator, W6YRE, in San Francisco. They traded news, and it sounded as if the west coast city was crumbling swiftly. Ken explained what he wanted. W6YRE promised to try to raise someone with a high-powered phone rig in Berkeley, near the university.

They listened to him calling, but could not hear the station he finally raised.

“What good will that do?” Maria asked. “If we can’t hear the station in Berkeley...”

“He may be working on a relay deal through the small rig. It’s better than nothing, but I’d prefer a station we can contact directly.”

In a few minutes, the San Francisco operator called them back. “W6WGU knows a ham with a 1000-watt phone near the university,” he said. “He thinks he’ll go for your deal, but he’s not set up for battery. In fact, he’s about ready to evacuate. Maybe he can be persuaded to stay. I’m told he’s a guy who will do the noble thing if he sees a reason for it.”

“There’s plenty of reason for this,” said Ken.

“Let’s set a schedule for 9 p.m. I ought to have word on it by then.”

They agreed and cut off. In another hour they had managed a contact with a Chicago operator, and explained what they wanted.

“You’re out of luck here,” the ham replied. “This town is falling apart at the seams right now. The whole Loop area has been burned out. There’s been rioting for 18 hours straight. The militia have been trying to hold things together, but I don’t think they even know whether anybody is still on top giving the orders.

“I’ll try to find out what the eggheads at the university are doing, but if they’ve got any kind of research running in this mess, it’ll surprise me. If they are still there, I’ll hang on and report to you. Otherwise, I’m heading north. There’s not much sense to it, but when something like this happens a guy’s got to run or have a good reason for staying put. If he doesn’t he’ll go nuts.”

The Chicago operator agreed to a schedule for the following morning.

Maria and Ken sat in silence, not looking at each other, after they cut off.

“It will be that way in all the big cities, won’t it?” Maria asked.

“I’m afraid so. We’re luckier than they are,” Ken said, “but I wonder how long we’ll stay lucky.” He was thinking of Frank Meggs, and the people who had swamped his store.

At 9 p.m., W6YRE came back on. The Berkeley 1000-watt phone was enthusiastic about being a contact post with the university people. He had promised to make arrangements with them and to round up enough batteries to convert his transmitter and receiver.

They had no further success that night.

Ken’s father shook his head sadly when told of the situation in Chicago. “I had counted on them,” he said. “Their people are among the best in the world, and they have the finest equipment. I hope things are not like that everywhere.”

Members of the science club took turns at the transmitter the following days for 20-hour stretches, until everything possible had been done to establish the contacts requested by Professor Maddox.

In Chicago there appeared to have been a complete collapse. The operator there reported he was unable to reach any of the scientific personnel at the university. He promised a further contact, but when the time came he could not be reached. There was no voice at all in the Chicago area. Ken wondered what had become of the man whose voice they had heard briefly. He was certain he would never know.

Although there was much disorder on the west coast, the situation was in somewhat better control. The rioting had not yet threatened the universities, and both Berkeley and Pasadena were working frantically on the problem with round-the-clock shifts in their laboratories. They had welcomed wholeheartedly the communication network initiated by the Mayfield group.

In Washington, D.C. tight military control was keeping things somewhat in order. In Stockholm, where contact had been established through a Washington relay after 2 days of steady effort, there was no rioting whatever. Paris and London had suffered, but their leading universities were at work on the problem. Tokyo reported similar conditions.

Ken grinned at Maria as they received the Stockholm report. “Those Swedes,” he said. “They’re pretty good at keeping their heads.”

Maria answered with a faint smile of her own. “Everybody should be Swedes. No?”


The fall winds and the black frost came early that year, as if in fair warning that the winter intended a brutal assault upon the stricken world. The pile of logs in the community woodlot grew steadily. A large crew of men worked to reduce the logs to stove lengths.

They had made a crude attempt to set up a circular saw, using animal power to drive it. The shaft was mounted in hardwood blocks, driven by a complicated arrangement of wooden pulleys and leather belts. The horses worked it through a treadmill.

The apparatus worked part of the time, but it scarcely paid for itself when measured against the efforts of the men who had to keep it in repair.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close