The Year When Stardust Fell
Chapter 12: Decontamination

Public Domain

By late November some drifts of snow on the flats were 3 feet deep. The temperature dropped regularly to ten or more below zero at night and seldom went above freezing in the daytime. The level of the log pile in the woodyard dropped steadily in spite of the concentrated efforts of nearly every available able-bodied man in the community to add to it. Crews cut all night long by the light of gasoline lanterns. The fuel ration had to be lowered to meet their rate of cutting.

The deep snow hampered Mayor Hilliard’s plan to sled the logs downhill without use of teams. Criticisms and grumblings at his decision to sacrifice the horses grew swiftly.

There had been no more signs of anthrax, and some were saying the whole program of vaccination and slaughter had been a stupid mistake. In spite of the assurance of the veterinarians that it was the only thing that could have been done, the grumbling went on like a rolling wave as the severity of the winter increased.

The Council was finally forced to issue a conservation order requiring families to double up, two to a house, on the theory that it would be more efficient to heat one house than parts of two. Selection of family pairings was optional. Close friends and relatives moved together wherever possible. Where no selection was made the committee assigned families to live together.

As soon as the order was issued, Ken’s mother suggested they invite the Larsens to move in with them. The Swedish family was happy to accept.

Thanksgiving, when it came, was observed in spirit, but scarcely in fact. There were some suggestions that Mayor Hilliard should order special rations for that day and for Christmas, at least, but he stuck to his ironhard determination that every speck of food would be stretched to the limit. No special allowance would be made for Thanksgiving or any other occasion until the danger was over.

Ken and his father and their friends had done their share of criticizing the Mayor in the past, but they now had only increasing admiration for his determination to take a stand for the principles he knew to be right, no matter how stern. Previously, most of the townspeople had considered him very good at giving highly patriotic Fourth of July speeches, and not much good at anything else. Now, Ken realized, the bombastic little man seemed to have come alive, fully and miraculously alive.


The day after Thanksgiving Ken and Professor Maddox were greeted by Mrs. Maddox upon coming home. “Maria wants you to come to the radio shack right away,” she said. “There’s something important coming in from Berkeley.”

They hurried to the shack, and Maria looked up in relief as they entered. “I’m so glad you’re here!” she cried. “Dr. French is on the radio personally. I’ve been recording him, but he wants to talk to you. He’s breaking in every 10 minutes to give me a chance to let him know if you’re here. It’s almost time, now.”

Ken and his father caught a fragment of a sentence spoken by the Berkeley scientist, and then the operator came on. “Berkeley requesting acknowledgment, Mayfield.”

Ken picked up the microphone and answered. “This is Mayfield, Ken Maddox talking. My father is here and will speak with Dr. French.”

Professor Maddox sat down at the desk. “This is Professor Maddox,” he said. “I came in time to hear your last sentence, Dr. French. They tell me you have something important to discuss. Please go ahead.”

Ken switched over to receive, and in a moment the calm, persuasive voice of Dr. French was heard in the speaker. “I’m glad you came in, Dr. Maddox,” he said. “On the tape you have my report of some experiments we have run the last few days. They are not finished, and if circumstances were normal I would certainly not report a piece of work in this stage.

“I feel optimistic, however, that we are on the verge of a substantial breakthrough in regard to the precipitant we are looking for. I would like you to repeat the work I have reported and go on from there, using your own ideas. I wanted you to have it, along with the people in Pasadena, in case anything should happen here. In my opinion it could be only a matter of days until we have a solution.”

“I certainly hope you are right,” said Professor Maddox. “Why do you speak of the possibility of something happening. Is there trouble?”

“Yes. Rioting has broken out repeatedly in the entire Bay Area during the past 3 days. Food supplies are almost non-existent. At the university here, those of us remaining have our families housed in classrooms. We have some small stock of food, but it’s not enough for an indefinite stay. The rioting may sweep over us. The lack of food may drive us out before we can finish. You are in a better position there for survival purposes. I hope nothing happens to interrupt your work.

“Our local government is crumbling fast. They have attempted to supply the community with seafood, but there are not enough sailing vessels. Perhaps two-thirds of the population have migrated. Some have returned. Thousands have died. I feel our time is limited. Give my report your careful attention and let me know your opinion tomorrow.”

They broke contact, uneasiness filling the hearts of Dr. French’s listeners in Mayfield. Up to now, the Berkeley scientist had seemed impassive and utterly objective. Now, to hear him speak of his own personal disaster, induced in them some of his own premonition of collapse.

When Maria had typed the report Professor Maddox stayed up until the early-morning hours, studying it, developing equations, and making calculations of his own. Ken stayed with him, trying to follow the abstruse work, and follow his father’s too-brief explanations.

When he finished, Professor Maddox was enthusiastic. “I believe he’s on the right track,” he said. “Unfortunately, he hasn’t told all he knows in this report. He must have been too excited about the work. Ordinarily, he leaves nothing out, but he’s omitted three or four important steps near the end. I’ll have to ask him to fill them in before we can do very much with his processes.”

The report was read and discussed at the college laboratory the next day, and the scientists began preliminary work to duplicate Dr. French’s results. Ken and his father hurried home early in order to meet the afternoon schedule with Berkeley and get Dr. French to the microphone to answer the questions he had neglected to consider.

As they arrived at the radio shack and opened the door they found Maria inside, with her head upon the desk. Deep sobs shook her body. The receiver was on, but only the crackle of static came from it. The filaments of the transmitter tubes were lit, but the antenna switch was open. The tape recorder was still running.

Professor Maddox grasped Maria by the shoulders and drew her back in the chair. “What is the matter?” he exclaimed. “Why are you crying, Maria?”

“It’s all over,” she said. “There’s nothing more down there. Just nothing...”

“What do you mean?” Ken cried.

“It’s on the tape. You can hear it for yourself.”

Ken quickly reversed the tape and turned it to play. In a moment the familiar voice of their Berkeley friend was heard. “I’m glad you’re early,” it said. “There isn’t much time today. The thing Dr. French feared has happened.

“Half the Bay Area is in flames. On the campus here, the administration building is gone. They tried to blow up the science building. It’s burning pretty fast in the other wing. I’m on the third floor. Did I ever tell you I moved my stuff over here to be close to the lab?

“There must be a mob of a hundred thousand out there in the streets. Or rather, several hundred mobs that add up to that many. None of them know where they’re going. It’s like a monster with a thousand separate heads cut loose to thrash about before it dies. I see groups of fifty or a hundred running through the streets burning and smashing things. Sometimes they meet another group coming from the opposite direction. Then they fight until the majority of one group is dead, and the others have run away.

“The scientists were having a meeting here until an hour ago. They gathered what papers and notes they could and agreed that each would try to make his own way, with his family, out of the city. They agreed to try to meet in Salinas 6 weeks from now, if possible. I don’t think any of them will ever meet again.”

A sudden tenseness surged into the operator’s voice. “I can see him down there!” he cried in despair. “Dr. French--he’s running across the campus with a load of books and a case of his papers and they’re trying to get him. He’s on the brow of a little hill and the mob is down below. They’re laughing at him and shooting. They almost look like college students. He’s down--they got him.”

A choking sob caught the operator’s voice. “That’s all there is,” he said. “I hope you can do something with the information Dr. French gave you yesterday. Berkeley is finished. I’m going to try to get out of here myself now. I don’t think I stand much of a chance. The mobs are swarming all over the campus. I can hear the fire on the other side of the building. Maybe I won’t even make it outside. Tell the Professor and Ken so long. I sure wish I could have made it to Mayfield to see what goes with that Swedish accent. 73 YL.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close