Alien Minds - Cover

Alien Minds

Public Domain

Chapter 15

Hanlon was awakened shortly after dawn the next morning. “Darn this having to pretend to such jobs,” he growled to himself as he rose, washed and dressed. He had always preferred to sleep as late as possible, and getting up at such ungodly hours did not tend to make him too happy the first few hours of the day. Yet, young as he was, he had developed the philosophy of accepting what must be as gracefully as possible, and now consoled himself with the hope that he would probably not have to keep up this imposture very many days.

His first care was to examine minutely, in the mirror, the make-up he had applied. The ears and nose still seemed to be all right and holding tightly. But he was careful, when no one was around during the days that followed, to look at them as often as he could in a pocket mirror he carried.

After a good breakfast in the dining room he was put to work cleaning, feeding and watering the cavals. Endar brought two of the horses from their stalls, snapped their halters into rings in a post, and was busy currying them. When he finished he saddled the two and led them out, after first telling Hanlon to make sure the stables were clean, in case the Ruler came to inspect them.

There were three other stablemen, working at the same general tasks. Hanlon, without neglecting his own work, made it a point to try to engage them in conversation.

“I love this kind of work, don’t you?” he asked confidingly. “I’m so proud the Ruler gave me this job.”

All the time he was studying their surface minds, trying to get a line on what manner of men they were--whether they would be inclined to be too friendly and intruding. But to his relief, he found they were rather stupid, loutish fellows, not caring too greatly what they did nor who was working with them, as long as they had a good place to live, plenty to eat, and fair pay. They seemed mildly surprised at his evident enthusiasm. One of them answered, in a churlish voice, “It’s only a job--why get so excited about it?”

His mind-probings told him, however, that none of them was the type to be involved in any plot that might be going on, even as the most humble participants or workers. He had nothing to fear from them in any way.

When the work was finished for the morning, the other three men went into the tackroom and began playing cards. They ignored Hanlon, not asking him to play with them, seemingly not caring what he did.

He went outside, sought the shade of a large flowertree, and sat down with his back leaning against the bole. He closed his eyes, the better to concentrate, and strengthened his mental control of the cavals ridden by Elus Amir and Endar, in which he had put a smallish portion of his mind when they started out. He knew that so far no untoward incident had occurred--the Ruler was riding along that country road, wrapped in thought, not talking, not meeting anyone, paying no attention to the groom following him.

Hanlon had not expected anything would occur, but wanted to know if it did, and especially wanting to be sure he could perfectly control the Ruler’s caval at all times, no matter what the distance.

Early the next morning a houseman approached the stables. “K’nyer Amir says to get his son’s caval ready, for he rides with him today.”

Endar indicated a certain animal to Hanlon. “Bring that one out and get it saddled. The young man’s gear is the second set on the right of the door in the tack room.”

Hanlon hurriedly led the caval out, snapped its halter ring in a nearby post, then ran to get the blanket, saddle and bridle.

“Those back legs aren’t smooth,” the head groom snapped. “Curry and brush them again. Inver is particular.”

“Yes, nyer, thank you,” Hanlon made haste to obey, and was careful in his work. When the beasts were ready, the groom took the reins in his hands, and led them to the mounting block.

Hanlon implanted parts of his mind in each of the two cavals. Thus he was ready for his spying when the two men came out of the residence.

Through the eyes, wide set in the only-slightly elongated, broad heads of the steeds, Hanlon studied this important new character, of whom he had heard much. He saw a tallish, very intelligent-looking native, guessed him to be in his middle or late twenties. The fellow had a slight though wiry build, and reddish-blond hair and trimmed beard. Hanlon liked this Inver on sight, and decided instantly that what he had heard was somehow wrong. The Ruler’s son certainly did not look half-crazy.

He pondered the matter. Was that impression being sowed about the planet deliberately? Was someone trying to tear down any reputation or influence the young man might have?

“This,” his eyes gleamed, “is going to be good. I’m sure going to watch and listen carefully today.”

Hanlon crowded into the brains of the two cavals all of his mind they could hold, finding that the animals had enough capacity to take a full half of his own mind. He had barely enough left in his body to keep on with his work which, luckily, did not require much mental effort. He still had more left than the other stablemen possessed.

The riders had barely left the palace grounds when Hanlon, through the caval’s ears, heard the young man speak.

“I hope, father, that you have thought about the subject I broached to you the other day, and the reasons I suggested for your further study. I pray you have decided that our world will do well to join the Federation of Planets, as we have been invited to do.”

Hanlon could tell, by the tone, that the Ruler’s mind and voice were troubled. “Son, I don’t know what to decide. There are so many things to think about. There are many good reasons why we should, it is true. There are also many equally good reasons why we should not. I am, as you know, very jealous of Estrella’s independence. I should hate to see it made subservient to any other power.”

“But, father,” Inver said earnestly, “we would not be. I have studied very carefully the proposition made us by the Federation Council, and the copy of their constitution they sent with it. They guarantee each planet complete autonomy, and state very plainly that the Council is only a judicial body set up to negotiate intra-planetary treaties and to see that the various worlds remain in harmony with each other. The advantages...”

“But it’s all a trick of those Terrans to get control of the entire galaxy,” his father broke in.

“That’s not only nonsense, father, but a deliberate lie. I’m sure you know who is fostering it, and I think you can guess the reason.”

“I presume you’re still talking about the Second-In-Line. But Irad isn’t like that, at all. He has a good mind, and he has presented some excellent reasons and arguments as to why we should not join the Federation.”

“Sure, he would. He wants to keep Estrella free, so that when he takes over he can pluck it like a...”

“That’s a strong indictment, son. I hope it is not jealousy because he won out over you in the tests.”

“It is not jealousy, and while I haven’t the proof yet, k’nyer, I do know it’s true,” the young man said hotly. “You can be sure that when I do get the truth I shall call for Irad’s impeachment. No, father, I and many friends are concerned over this matter, and are satisfied we are correct.”

Hanlon could guess at the troubled eyes of the older man, and that he was shaking his head sadly. “I hate to think that of Adwal Irad,” he said. “He has always seemed so interested in helping me to build up Estrella’s economy and is constantly bringing new ideas for her betterment. He seems to be making every effort to become worthy of his post when he succeeds me.”

“I know,” sadly. “He wasn’t like this until recently. But he has changed someway, father. Now he is power mad. Also, he is trying to make me out as a fool and a brainless dara,” Inver snapped.

“Why ... why ... I never heard him say anything like that,” there was astonishment in the elder’s voice. “He always speaks well of you.”

“Naturally, k’nyer, he wouldn’t be crass enough to say anything of that sort to you. But he and his henchmen are spreading that story all over our world.”

“Oh, I’m sure you must be mistaken.”

“I’m not,” grimly. “The evidence on that is unmistakable.”

There was decisiveness now in the Ruler’s voice. “If that’s true, I’ll certainly put a stop to it.”

“Don’t, father, not at once,” his son pleaded quickly. “Do not even mention it to Adwal yet, please. Nor make a public pronouncement about it. That would put him on his guard, and I and my friends need time to prove the other things I’m talking about.”

“I’ll not have word spread that my son is a ... a weakling, or stupid,” the elder’s voice was angry, and Hanlon felt the jerk on the reins of his caval that told of the sudden gesture.

“Just so you don’t believe it, father, is all I care at the moment.”

Hanlon felt the two animals swerve and touch sides, and knew that Amir had drawn closer to his son, and shrewdly guessed he was touching the boy lovingly.

“You need never fear that, Inver. I’ve always been proud of the way you’ve taken hold of things, ever since you were a boy.”

“I’ve tried, k’nyer, to make myself a worthy son of a great father,” there was emotion in the young man’s voice. “I’ve studied everything I thought would help me--economics, psychology, statecraft, history, and all. And especially, since the Federation first made contact with us, I’ve tried to learn all I could about them, their various forms of government, their history, and everything. That’s why I’m so sure they mean us well, not harm.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close