Alien Minds
Chapter 16

Public Domain

Darkness Made No Difference To George Hanlon in dealing with animal minds, for it was not with his eyes that he “saw” what was inside them. In this particular instance he was grateful for the dark--it made concentration far easier.

He made himself comfortable on his bed, then fitted his mind to that of the wounded animal in the stable. Deeper and ever deeper he probed, tracing line and connectors and synapses carefully. A stray thought brought a grin to his face. “I bet I’m learning things no veterinarian ever learned about animals.”

Then he sobered quickly. “Perhaps I should write this up for them--the physiology and endocrinology of it, I mean.” He filed the thought away in his mind for future reference. It would be a great contribution to those branches of science, he felt--IF he was successful.

Now he traced nerves, blood vessels, cells, glands. He bored in with every newly-awakened sense alert to catch each particle of new knowledge. He began to learn even more of how the healing and regeneration of cells and tissues worked ... and after awhile he achieved real beginnings of success.

The things he had been able to do that afternoon, with his first studies, had started the healing of the caval’s leg somewhat faster than nature ordinarily did it, but not much more. Now, however, he was able more surely and quickly to continue that work, and by the time he noticed the false dawn lightening the night a bit, and he knew he must get some sleep, the injury was almost entirely healed.

“What a surprise Endar’s going to get when he looks at that leg in the morning,” he chuckled. For the swelling was reduced, the inflammation all gone, and the caval was able to stand and walk on the foot without limping or apparent pain. In fact, from his ability to read the beast’s mind, Hanlon knew the pain was all gone. If nothing happened to irritate it, the leg would be as good as new in a day or so without further attention.

Hanlon was sleeping so soundly the next morning that Endar had trouble waking him, and that did not help in dispelling the anger and distrust in him the head groom knew. Hanlon tried to work hard enough, and was careful to appear willing and ready even for the mean, dirty jobs Endar assigned him, so as not to make the groom any more irritated than he already was.

Shortly after daylight Inver came to the stables to see how his favorite caval was getting along. He and Endar were very much surprised to see that the animal was apparently entirely well, and that the leg showed no signs of the injury of the day before.

“I can’t understand it,” the young man shook his head. “It must not have been as badly hurt as we thought.”

Endar may have had his doubts--and Hanlon saw him throw a quick, wondering glance in his direction--but the groom wisely said nothing, since he had no proof ... and such a thought was ridiculous, anyway.

When it came time for the Ruler’s morning ride, Hanlon was still working inside. But Elus Amir asked to see the new man, and Endar had to call him out.

“Ah, my savior,” Amir said as Hanlon appeared. “Are they treating you well, Lona?”

Hanlon bent the knee. “Oh, yes, k’nyer. I have everything to make me happy here, and I love the work. And Endar has been most kind about showing me around, and helping me learn all my duties here so I may serve you better.”

“Good. I’d like to have you ride with me this morning,” the Ruler said as he mounted.

Hanlon glanced at Endar. He could see that the head groom was not pleased by this, though he said nothing, merely handing the reins of the second mount to Hanlon, then turning away. Hanlon was quickly astride, and the two riders started off at a brisk canter.

As soon as they were well away from the residence, Amir slowed down and motioned Hanlon to come to his side. “Now, tell me all about the Eastern Continent--what conditions are like there, and what the people are saying about things in general.”

Hanlon dredged his mind for any and all information he could remember from his studies of the reels of Estrella furnished him by the secret service, as well as what he had learned from others since he came to this planet.

For nearly a penta-period he told what he knew, then said, “One thing is quite noticeable there, k’nyer. The ordinary people I talked to over there--of course, I don’t know any of the important ones--all seem very anxious for our world to join the Terran Federation of Planets.”

“They are?” the Ruler seemed surprised, but interested. “I thought there was quite a bit of sentiment against it.”

Hanlon shrugged as though it was of no importance. “Oh, you hear a lot of talk going around that we would lose our freedom, and that the people of the Federation just want to enslave us, but no one I talked to seemed really to believe it. They think someone there is putting out a lot of propaganda because of some personal reasons. The ordinary people think they would benefit greatly by such a union with more advanced people. One of our newssheets printed a copy of the Federation Agreement, and it states very clearly that all worlds are to have full right to choose their own form of government, and that they keep their full ... their full...”

“Sovereignty,” the Ruler supplied the missing word.

“Thank you, k’nyer ... their full sovereignty at all times. It also went on to say that all the other worlds do just as they please, and that the only purpose of the Federation is to encourage trade and the spread of knowledge among the various planets in an equitable way, and yet see to it that they never get into war with each other, by settling all possible disputes before they get to the explosive point.”

Elus Amir was silent for long minutes, thinking seriously, and Hanlon followed those thoughts as they chased themselves across the screen of the Ruler’s mind. Finally Amir raised his head. “Er ... yes, yes, that’s all true enough, Lona. But if it is so, why is there such a seemingly-determined effort to persuade me and the people here that it is not true?”

“May I speak my thoughts, k’nyer?”

“Eh? Why, of course,” Amir looked up in surprise. “That’s why I wanted you to come along today.”

“Well, sire, it looks to me--and please remember that I’m just a simple countryman, and not used to politics or statesmanship--but it looks to me as though someone wanted to keep us by ourselves so they could run this world the way they want to, and be able to make themselves rich or powerful at the expense of our common people.”

“But that’s impossible as long as our government is on its guard.”

“Exactly, k’nyer. It could not be done as long as you are Ruler, but suppose you...”

Elus Amir’s head snapped up irritably at this unfinished warning. “The Second-In-Line is just as jealous of Estrella’s welfare as I am,” he snapped. “It would not happen under him either.”

But Hanlon, reading the Ruler’s surface thoughts, knew he must keep quiet for the moment. For Amir was disturbed by hearing this idea from a simple groom. He did not want to give it credence, but doubt had been forced into his mind, first by his son, and now by this man.

But before he could formulate any decisive answer, Hanlon decided boldly to jolt him again.

“I have a friend, k’nyer,” he reached into his inner pocket and brought out some papers, “who has been actively studying this matter for some time. He has found out a number of things I am sure will interest you, and about which I doubt very much you know.”

The Ruler looked at him sharply. “What do you mean?”

“You know that there has been an unprecedented crime wave all over our planet recently,” Hanlon said, and Amir nodded sorrowfully. “My friend has found proof that, while a lot of people have been engaged in those criminal activities, there is a complete program that is being carefully carried on by a staff of head men, each with his own group of lower criminals, but all headed by one...”

“By the Terrans--it is well known here.”

“No, k’nyer, not by the Terrans. The real leader of this campaign of destruction is the same man who is the leader of the opposition to Estrella’s joining the Federation.”

“And that man?” the Ruler snapped, but his face was drawn, as though he already knew ... but would not let himself believe.

“That leader, k’nyer, is Adwal Irad.”

“Prove it, or by Zappa I’ll have you executed,” Amir’s voice crackled. “Have a care, Lona, and don’t try my patience. I don’t allow myself to be talked to in that manner.”

“I crave pardon, sire, if I have spoken out of line. But you asked me for my reactions and knowledge, and I must be truthful.”

“Whatever gave you such foolish notions? And who are you, anyway? A countryman such as you claim to be would not know about such things ... or use such precise language.”

“You might be surprised, k’nyer, if you knew how many of your humbler subjects are vastly interested in the welfare of our world, and who read and think much about these things, even though they know they cannot fully understand them. As to how I got such ideas, the answer is, many things. And facts collected by my friend. Including this little book,” handing him Esbor’s notebook, “which was found in ... well, in a certain place. It contains a lot of information we were sure you would want to study, which is the reason he asked me to give it to you if I got the chance.”

The Ruler took the book, opened and glanced through it. Hanlon could see the start of surprise he made, and read the thoughts that flashed through the Ruler’s mind as he saw some of the notations. During the remainder of the ride, now at a slow walk, there was complete silence, until they were nearing the residence’s courtyard. Then Amir looked at Hanlon, a shrewd look on his face.

“You’re a curious fellow, Lona. Who are you, really?”

“One of the many who have the interests of yourself and this world very much at heart,” Hanlon said honestly. “Please do not ask me more, but believe that we are honest and sincere. Your son has many friends...” he stopped, letting it go at that, knowing the Ruler’s memory would flash back to the talk with Inver the day before, and hoping Amir would not pursue his questioning.

Elus Amir began studying Hanlon closely, an examination the young man knew might quickly disclose his imposture. He made his caval suddenly shy away, and took several moments controlling it enough so he could ride back to the Ruler’s side--but stayed a bit further behind than he had been before.

As he had hoped, this maneuver had given Amir time to think. “Very well,” the Ruler said, “I’ll not inquire too closely at the moment, although you may be sure,” more sternly now, “that I shall be on my guard to know if you are really working for me or not.”

He was silent a moment, then added slowly, “But as to what you have said, and this book ... well, I promise to study them thoroughly.”

Hanlon thanked Elus Amir for his courtesy to a humble groom. “And thank you for the great privilege of riding with you, and talking to you. I have always felt, k’nyer,” he made bold to add, “that we have a truly great Ruler. Now,” he smiled sincerely, “I am more sure of it than ever.”

“Why, thank you, Lona. I do try to watch out for the best interests of our people.”

“A groom should not presume to advise his Ruler, but I feel emboldened to say that your people would be glad if you decide to join the Terran Federation,” Hanlon said humbly, then added more earnestly, “and I beg you, sire, watch out for yourself. There are human tamous abroad.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close