Alien Minds - Cover

Alien Minds

Public Domain

Chapter 19

Although George Hanlon had become adept at the use of the minds of birds, animals, fish, rodents and insects even at a considerable distance, he could not project his mind to any great length to find and gain control of such a mind, unless he had already used that mind and knew its texture and characteristics, or unless another part of his mind was already at that distant point in another brain.

Thus, in the present instance, he could not project his mind the many miles between his present location and the residence of the Ruler, Elus Amir, and find an animal or bird mind he could take over. He could have done it, that is, with one of the cavals he had at various times handled, but one of them could not get into the palace and the Ruler’s suite. Nor could he locate any of the birds he had used out there.

He did, however, project his mind into Inver’s caval--the one he had helped heal--and from that vantage point tried to find a bird he could control. But none seemed to be anywhere near the stables.

So, he had to start closer to where he was, and work outward. With time of the essence at the moment, a bird must be used. Just how he was to get a bird into the residence, and more or less keep it inconspicuous and unseen during his survey, was a problem that would have to be tackled when the time came.

Lying on the bed in the little room, therefore, he quested about the nearby neighborhood trees until he found a swift-flying bird he could use. It took but a moment to do so, and to take full and complete control of its mind and body. Then the bird, whose brain now contained as large a portion of Hanlon’s mind as he could force into it, was winging at its top speed toward the official residence of Amir, the Ruler.

“The palace is in sight,” Hanlon’s voice was low but penetrant, after a time. “I’m looking for an open window or door.”

The other men watched with amazement and intense curiosity as the young man lay there on the bed, his eyes closed and his face drawn with concentration, as they could see in the dim light of the shaded lamp Hooper had risen and lighted. Both of the other S S men knew much of what Hanlon could thus do, yet watching him do it was a new experience to both, and one that filled them with deepest wonder and a sort of awe.

The silence, even though of only two or three minutes duration, seemed like hours to the waiting watchers, then a jubilant “Ah!” let them know Hanlon had succeeded in the first part of his quest. “Got in through an open window in an upper story ... heck, the door’s shut.”

Another pause, and then the voice continued, “Here’s another. Hah, this one opens into a hallway. Now, which way is Amir’s suite?”

They waited with impatience while they knew the bird Hanlon was controlling was seeking the proper portion of the interior of that great building. It seemed long and long before the soft voice spoke again.

“He must have gone to bed--the door is shut. I’ll have to get outside and try again, but now that I know where it is I’ll see if I can get directly into his room.”

Hooper whispered in a tone he thought only Newton could hear. “By the shade of Snyder, but this is spooky. If I didn’t know he could really do it, I’d swear it was impossible.”

But only a portion of Hanlon’s mind was in that distant avian brain. The rest was here in his own body, and heard the comment.

“Yeh,” he drawled, “I know it’s weird, and even I’m not used to thinking about it yet. Never thought how it would affect others. You don’t need to whisper, though. The two parts of my mind are separate and distinct, so that I know what is going on in both ... ah, one of the windows in the bedroom is opened, but only a crack. Maybe I can squeeze ... did it, but I lost a few feathers. But I’m inside now. Let’s see. There’s a molding quite high up on the wall. It’s wide enough so I can roost on that, sideways. Now we’ll just have to wait and watch.”

“Is Amir all right?” his father asked anxiously.

Hanlon grinned. “The way he’s snoring he must be.”

But the question reminded Hanlon that the Ruler had been wounded. He made the bird fly down to the bed, and through its eyes saw only a small bandage on one of Amir’s arms--luckily for him the Ruler slept with his arms outside the covers. “Must be he got only a slight burn, after all,” he said.

“Is there anyone close to his room--or can’t you tell?” the admiral asked after a few moments of silence.

“I’ll see if I can find out.” Hanlon sent his mind questing out from the bird, and soon reported, “There’re two men in an adjoining room ... they’re guards ... from what I can read of their minds they’re not thinking any seditious or murderous thoughts. Just playing a game of some sort while keeping on watch.”

“Better keep checking them from time to time, though, hadn’t you?” Hooper asked.

“Yeh, it’d be a good idea.”

The other men were tired and not well, and despite their efforts to keep awake, dropped off to sleep. Surprisingly, even Hanlon’s body and the main portion of his mind also lapsed into the unconsciousness of sleep. But the part in the bird kept awake--and so did the tiny thread of consciousness that connected it with Hanlon.

Some time later, about midnight, Hanlon, through the bird, heard a stirring sound in the anteroom, and investigated. The guard was being changed, and these two newcomers, he found from their minds, were tools of Irad.

Along that thread of thought sped the warning, and Hanlon’s body and the balance of his mind came fully awake. He lay there for some time, studying the situation, but nothing seemed to be happening. He was almost back to sleep again--his body, that is--when the bird heard a fumbling at the door of Amir’s room, although the sound was softly muted as though the one out there was using the utmost stealth in hopes of not being discovered. Hanlon’s mind quickly investigated, and found only one mind there. Evidently the guards had left, for this was a new personality.

Hanlon reached out a hand and shook his father into wakefulness. “Someone’s outside, trying to get Amir’s door unlocked, or opened,” he reported.

Newton called Hooper, who sat up, rubbing sleep from his eyes while the admiral explained in swift words.

“The door’s locked from the inside, and the key is still in the lock,” Hanlon told them. “I made the bird fly down and look ... whoever is at it must be using something like pliers to try to turn the key.”

Admiral Newton jumped out of bed, lit the lamp, and commanded Hooper, “Get up and dress. We’ll have to rush out there.” He turned to Hanlon. “Can you come with us, and still keep en rapport with your bird?”

“Sure,” Hanlon was already throwing off the covers, and getting up. “The fellow, whoever he is, although I would imagine it might be Irad, is having trouble with the key, but he’ll probably make it sooner or later.”

“D’you suppose we can get out there in time?” Hooper asked.

“We’ll certainly try,” the admiral grunted, leaning down to fasten his shoes.

“Can you wake the Ruler?” he asked anxiously, a few moments later. “He might have a better chance, if awake.”

“Sure,” Hanlon said, and a moment later, “the bird flew down and brushed its wingtips across his face. He’s awake now ... he’s sitting up ... lighting the lamp ... I sent the bird close to him then over to the door ... he’s watching it ... now he sees the key turning ... he’s jumped out of bed ... running to another door leading out of the room.”

The three finished dressing, and now ran from the room and down the stairs. Outside the admiral commanded “Follow me,” and ran toward the back of the house. They saw the dim outlines of a shed, and a high-powered, family-sized touring tricycle. They piled into the seats even as the admiral was getting it started.

Swiftly he backed the car out and into the street, and then took off with a full-throated roar from the powerful, souped-up engine.

“Special job the Corps’ experts fixed up for me,” he explained as the others gasped at the unexpected speed.

Hanlon, through the bird’s eyes, was still watching that distant effort to unlock the door, and relaying to the others from time to time what he was seeing.

“Ah, it’s unlocked ... it’s opening ... but the Ruler is in the other room and has locked that door.”

“The old boy’s not so dumb,” Hooper applauded.

“I’ll say he isn’t,” Hanlon agreed joyfully. “He’s plugging the keyhole.”

He was silent a moment, then exclaimed, “The intruder’s Irad, just as I thought it might be ... he’s surprised the Ruler isn’t in bed asleep ... he’s gone over to try the other door ... he’s found it’s locked and the keyhole plugged ... he seems to have lost his head--he’s pounding on that door, and yelling.”

He half-straightened, then slumped down into his seat, and his face strained with concentration. Hooper, in the back seat, leaned forward and started to speak, but Newton restrained him. “Let him alone, Curt--he must be working on something difficult.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close