The Impossibles - Cover

The Impossibles

Copyright© 2017 by Randall Garrett

Chapter 3

The patrol car pulled up in front of St. Vincent’s Hospital, and one of the cops helped Malone into the emergency receiving room. He didn’t feel as bad as he had a few minutes before. The motion of the car hadn’t helped any, but his head seemed to be knitting a little, and his legs were a little steadier. True, he didn’t feel one hundred per cent healthy, but he was beginning to think he might live, after all. And while the doctor was bandaging his head, a spirit of new life began to fill the FBI agent.

He was no longer morose and undirected. He had a purpose in life, and the purpose filled him with cold determination. He was going to find the robot-operated car--or whatever it turned out to be.

The doctor, Malone noticed, was whistling Greensleeves under his breath as he worked. That, he supposed, was the influence of the Bohemian folk-singers of Greenwich Village. But he put the noise resolutely out of his mind and concentrated on the red Cadillac.

It was one thing to think about a robot car miles away, doing something or other to somebody you’d never heard of before. That was just theoretical, a case for solution, nothing but an ordinary job.

But when the car stepped up and bopped Malone himself on the head, it became a personal matter. Now Malone had more than a job to contend with. Now he was thinking about revenge.

By God, he told himself, no car in the world--not even a Cadillac--can get away with beaning Kenneth J. Malone!

Malone was not quite certain that he agreed with Burris’ idea of a self-operating car, but at least it was something to work on. A car that could reach out, crown an investigator, and then drive off humming something innocent under its breath was certainly a unique and dangerous machine within the meaning of the act. Of course, there were problems attendant on this view of things. For one thing, Malone couldn’t quite see how the car could have beaned him when he was ten feet away from it. But that was, he told himself uncomfortably, a minor point. He could deal with it when he felt a little better.

The important thing was the car itself. Malone jerked a little under the doctor’s calm hands, and swore subvocally.

“Hold still,” the doctor said. “Don’t go wiggling your head around that way. Just wait quietly until the dermijel sets.”

Obediently, Malone froze. There was a crick in his neck, but he decided he could stand it. “My head still hurts,” he said accusingly.

“Sure it still hurts,” the doctor agreed.

“But you--”

“What did you expect?” the doctor said. “Even an FBI agent isn’t immune to blackjacks, you know.” He resumed his work on Malone’s skull.

“Blackjacks?” Malone said. “What blackjacks?”

“The ones that hit you,” the doctor said. “Or the one, anyhow.”

Malone blinked. Somehow, though he could manage a fuzzy picture of a car reaching out to hit him, the introduction of a blackjack into this imaginative effort confused things a little. But he resolutely ignored it.

“The bruise is just the right size and shape,” the doctor said. “And that cut on your head comes from the seams on the leather casing.”

“You’re sure?” Malone said doubtfully. It did seem as if a car had a lot more dangerous weapons around, without resorting to blackjacks. If it had really wanted to damage him, why hadn’t it hit him with the engine block?

“I’m sure,” the doctor said. “I’ve worked in Emergency in this hospital long enough to recognize a blackjack wound.”

That was a disturbing idea, in a way. It gave a new color to Malone’s reflection on Greenwich Villagers. Maybe things had changed since he’d heard about them. Maybe the blackjack had supplanted the guitar.

But that wasn’t the important thing.

The fact that it had been a blackjack that had hit him was important. It was vital, as a matter of fact. Malone knew that perfectly well. It was a key fact in the case he was investigating.

The only trouble was that he didn’t see what, if anything, it meant.

The doctor stepped back and regarded Malone’s head with something like pride. “There,” he said. “You’ll be all right now.”

“A concussion?”

“Sure,” the doctor said. “But it isn’t serious. Just take these pills--one every two hours until they’re gone--and you’ll be rid of any effects within twenty-four hours.” He went to a cabinet, fiddled around for a minute, and came back with a small bottle containing six orange pills. They looked very large and threatening.

“Fine,” Malone said doubtfully.

“You’ll be all right,” the doctor said, giving Malone a cheerful, confident grin. “Nothing at all to worry about.” He loaded a hypojet and blasted something through the skin of Malone’s upper arm. Malone swallowed hard. He knew perfectly well that he hadn’t felt a thing but he couldn’t quite make himself believe it.

“That’ll take care of you for tonight,” the doctor said. “Get some sleep and start in on the pills when you wake up, okay?”

“Okay,” Malone said. It was going to make waking up something less than a pleasure, but he wanted to get well, didn’t he?

Of course he did. If that Cadillac thought it was going to beat him...

“You can stand up now,” the doctor said.

“Okay,” Malone said, trying it. “Thanks, Doctor. I--”

There was a knock at the door. The doctor jerked his head around.

“Who’s that?” he said.

“Me,” a bass voice said, unhelpfully.

The emergency-room door opened a crack and a face peered in. It took Malone a second to recognize Bill, the waffle-faced cop who had picked him up next to the lamp post three years or so before. “Long time no see,” Malone said at random.

“What?” Bill said, and opened the door wider. He came in and closed it behind him. “It’s okay, Doc,” he said to the attendant. “I’m a cop.”

“Been hurt?” the doctor said.

Bill shook his head. “Not recently,” he said. “I came to see this guy.” He looked at Malone. “They told me you were still here,” he said.

“Who’s they?” Malone said.

“Outside,” Bill said. “The attendants out there. They said you were still getting stitched up.”

“And quite right, too,” Malone said solemnly.

“Oh,” Bill said. “Sure.” He fished in his pockets. “You dropped your notebook, though, and I came to give it back to you.” He located the object he was hunting for and brought it out with the triumphant gesture of a man displaying the head of a dragon he had slain. “Here,” he said, waving the book.

“Notebook?” Malone said. He stared at it. It was a small looseleaf book bound in cheap black plastic.

“We found it in the gutter,” Bill said.

Malone took a tentative step forward and managed not to fall. He stepped back again and looked at Bill scornfully. “I wasn’t even in the gutter,” he said. “There are limits.”

“Sure,” Bill said. “But the notebook was, so I brought it along to you. I thought you might need it or something.” He handed it over to Malone with a flourish.

It wasn’t Malone’s notebook. In the first place, he had never owned a notebook that looked anything like that, and in the second place he hadn’t had any notebooks on him when he went for his walk. Mine not to question why, Malone told himself with a shrug, and flipped the book open.

At once he saw why the cop had mistaken it for his.

It had his name in it.

On the very first page were two names, written out in a careful, semieducated scrawl:

Mr. Kenneth J. Malone, FBI

Lt. Peter Lynch, NYPD

The rest of the page was blank. Malone wondered who Lieutenant Lynch was, and made a mental note to find out. Then he wondered what his name was doing in somebody else’s notebook. Maybe, he thought, it was a list of people to slug, and the car had made it up. But he hadn’t heard of anybody named Lynch being hit on the head by a marauding automobile, and he couldn’t quite picture a Cadillac jotting things down in a notebook for future reference. Besides, he had an idea that a Cadillac’s handwriting would be more formal, and prettier.

He turned the page. On the next leaf there were more names, eight of them. The first one was written in red pencil and the others were in ordinary black. Malone stared at them:

Mike F.

Ramon O.

Mario G.

Silvo E.

Alvarez A.

Felipe la B.

Juan de los S.

Ray del E.

All the names except Mike F. sounded Spanish, or possibly Puerto Rican. Malone wondered who they were. Juvenile delinquents? Other people to slug? Police officers?

Maybe they were all the names of Spanish-speaking Cadillacs.

He blinked and rubbed at his forehead with one hand. His head still hurt, and that was probably why he was getting such strange ideas. It was obvious that, whatever the notebook was, it hadn’t been written by an automobile.

He turned the page again.

Here there was a carefully detailed drawing of a car. Malone recognized it as a 1972 Cadillac without any effort at all.

And it had been carefully colored in with red pencil.

Wow, Malone asked himself, What the hell does that mean?

He couldn’t find an answer. He turned the page, hoping for some more facts that might make some sense out of what he had been seeing, but there was nothing more. All the rest of the pages in the notebook were blank.

He looked up at the cop and the doctor with a bland, blank face. “Thanks a lot,” he told Bill. “I thought I’d lost this book. I appreciate it.”

“Oh, that’s okay, Mr. Malone,” Bill said. “Glad to do it.”

“You don’t know what this means to me,” Malone said truthfully.

“No trouble at all,” Bill said. “Any time.” He gave Malone a big smile and turned back to the door. “But I got to get back to my beat,” he said. “Listen, I’ll see you. And if I can be any help--”

“Sure,” Malone said. “I’ll let you know. And thanks again.”

“Welcome,” Bill said, and opened the door. He strode out with the air of a man who has just been decorated with the Silver Star, the Purple Heart and the Congressional Medal of Honor.

Malone tried a few more steps and discovered that he could walk without falling down. He thanked the doctor again.

“Perfectly all right,” the doctor said. “Nothing to it. Why, you ought to see some of the cases we get here. There was a guy here the other night with both his legs all mashed up by a--”

“I’ll bet,” Malone said hurriedly. “Well, I’ve got to be on my way. Just send the bill to FBI headquarters on 69th Street.” He closed the door on the doctor’s enthusiastic “Yes, sir!“ and went on down the hallway and out into the street. At Seventh Avenue and Greenwich Avenue he flagged a cab.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close