The Impossibles - Cover

The Impossibles

Copyright© 2017 by Randall Garrett

Chapter 5

Thirty seconds passed.

During that time, Malone did nothing at all. He just sat there, while a confused montage of pictures tumbled through his head. Sometimes he saw double exposures, and sometimes a couple of pictures overlapped, but it didn’t seem to make any difference, because none of the pictures meant anything anyhow.

The reason for that was obvious. He was no longer sane. He had cracked up. At a crucial moment his brain had failed him, and now people would have to come in and cart him away and put him in a strait jacket. It was perfectly obvious to Malone that he was no longer capable of dealing with everyday life. The blow on the head had probably taken final effect, and it had been more serious than the doctor had imagined.

He had always distrusted doctors anyhow.

And now he was suffering from a delayed reaction. He wasn’t living in the real world any more. He had gone off to dreamland, where people disappeared when you looked at them. There was no hope for him any more.

It was a nice theory, and it was even comforting in a way. There was only one thing wrong with it.

The room around him didn’t look dreamlike at all. It was perfectly solid and real, and it looked just the way it had looked before Mike Fueyo had--well, Malone amended, before whatever had happened had happened. It was a perfectly complete little room, and it had four chairs in it. Malone was sitting in one of the chairs and all the others were empty.

There was absolutely nothing else in the room.

With some regret, Malone abandoned the theory that he had gone mad. This left him with no ideas at all. Because if he hadn’t become insane, then what had happened?

After another second or two, some ideas began to filter through the daze. Perhaps he’d just blacked out for a minute and the kid had gone out the door. That was possible, wasn’t it?

Sure it was. And maybe he had just not seen the kid go. His eyes had failed for a second or two. That could certainly happen after a blow on the head. Malone tried to remember where the sight centers of the brain were. Maybe whoever had hit him had disturbed them, and he’d had a sudden blackout.

Come to think of it, that made pretty good sense. He had blacked out, and Mike had just walked out the door. It had to be the door, of course--the windows were out of the question, since there weren’t any windows. And six-inch-wide air-conditioner ducts do not provide reasonable space for an exit, not if you happen to be a human being.

That, Malone told himself, was settled--and a good thing, too. He had begun to worry about it. But now he knew just what had happened, and he felt relieved. He got up from his chair, walked over to the door and opened it.

Lieutenant Lynch nearly fell into the room. He’d obviously had his ear pressed tightly to the door and hadn’t expected it to open. The other two cops stood behind him, just about filling the hallway with their broad shoulders.

“Well, well,” Malone said.

Lynch recovered his balance and glared at the FBI agent. He said nothing.

“Where is he?” Malone said.

“Where is he?” Lynch repeated, and blinked. “Where’s who?”

Malone shook his head impatiently. “Fueyo,” he said. “The kid. Where did he--”

Lynch’s expression was the same as that on the faces of the other two cops: complete and utter bafflement. Malone stopped and stared. It was suddenly very obvious that the lovely theory he had worked out for Mike’s disappearance wasn’t true in the least. If Mike Fueyo had come out the door, then these cops would know about it. But they obviously knew nothing at all about it.

Therefore, he hadn’t come out through the door.

Malone took a deep breath.

“What are you talking about?” Lynch said. “Isn’t the kid in there with you? What’s happened?”

There was only one thing to do and, straight-faced, Malone went ahead and did it. “Of course not,” he snapped, trying to sound impatient and official. “I released him.”

“You what?”

“Released him,” Malone said. He stepped out into the hall and closed the door of the interrogation room firmly behind him. “I got all the information I needed, so I let him go.”

“Thanks,” Lynch said bitterly. “After all, I was the one who--”

“You called him in for questioning, didn’t you, Lieutenant?” Malone said.

“Yes, I did, and I--”

“Well,” Malone said, “I questioned him.”

There was a little silence. Then Lynch asked, in a strangled voice, “What did he say?”

“Sorry,” Malone said at once. “That’s classified information.” He pushed his way into the corridor, trying to look as if he had fifteen other jobs to accomplish within the next hour. Being an FBI agent was going to help a little, but he still had to look good in order to carry it off.

“But--”

“Thanks for your co-operation, Lieutenant,” Malone said. “You’ve all been very helpful.” He smiled at them in what he hoped was a superior manner. “So long,” he said, and started walking.

“Wait!” Lynch said. He flung open the door of the interrogation room. There was no doubt that it was empty. “Wait! Malone!”

Malone turned slowly, trying to look calm and in control of the situation. “Yes?” he said.

Lynch looked at him with puzzled, pleading eyes. “Malone, how did you release him? We were right here. He didn’t come through the door. There isn’t any other exit. So how did you get him out?”

There was only one answer to that, and Malone gave it with a quiet, assured air. “I’m terribly sorry, Lieutenant,” he said, “but that’s classified information, too.” He gave the cops a little wave and walked slowly down the corridor. When he reached the stairs he began to speed up and he was out of the precinct station and into a taxicab before any of the cops could have realized what had happened.

He took a deep breath, feeling as if it were the first he’d had in several days. “Breathe air,” he told himself. “It’s good for you.” Not that New York had any real air in it. It was mostly carbon fumes and the like. But it was the nearest thing to air that Malone could find at the moment, and he determined to go right on breathing it until something better and cleaner showed up.

But that wasn’t important now. As the cab tooled along down Broadway toward 69th Street, Malone closed his eyes and began going over the whole thing in his mind.

Mike Fueyo had vanished.

Of that, Malone told himself, there was no shadow of doubt. No probable, possible shadow of doubt.

No possible doubt (as a matter of fact) whatever.

Dismissing the Grand Inquisitor with a negligent wave of his hand, he concentrated on the main question. It was a good question. Malone could have sat and pondered it admiringly for a long time.

As a matter of fact, that was all he could think of to do, as the cab turned up 70th Street and headed east. He certainly didn’t have any answers for it.

But it was a lovely question:

Where does that leave Kenneth J. Malone?

And, possibly even more important: Where was Miguel Fueyo?

It was obvious that he’d vanished on purpose. And it hadn’t just been something he’d recently discovered. He had known all along that he could pull the trick; if he hadn’t known that, he wouldn’t have done what he had done beforehand. No seventeen-year-old boy, no matter what he was, would give the FBI the raspberry unless he was pretty sure he could get away with it.

Malone remembered the raspberry and winced slightly. The cab driver called back, “Anything wrong, buddy?”

“Everything,” Malone said. “But don’t worry about it.”

The cab driver shrugged and turned back to the wheel. Malone went back to Mike Fueyo.

The kid could make himself vanish at will.

Invisibility?

Malone thought about that for a while. The fact that it was impossible didn’t decide him against it. Everything was impossible; that much was clear. But he didn’t think Mike Fueyo had just become invisible. No. There had been the sense of presence actually leaving the room. If Mike had become invisible and stayed, Malone was sure he wouldn’t have felt the boy leave.

Mike had not just become invisible. (And what do I mean, “just”? Malone asked himself unhappily.) He had gone--elsewhere.

This brought him back full circle to his original question. Where was the boy now? But he ignored it for a minute or two as another, even more difficult query presented itself.

Never mind where, Malone told himself. How?

Something was bothering him. Malone realized that it had been bothering him for a long time. At last he managed to locate it and hold it up to the light for inspection.

Dr. O’Connor, the psionics expert at Westinghouse, had mentioned something during Malone’s last conversation with him. Dr. O’Connor, who’d invented a telepathy detector, had been discussing further reaches in his field.

“After all,” he’d said, “if thoughts can bridge any distance whatever, regardless of other barriers, there is no reason why matter could not do likewise.”

“But it doesn’t,” Malone had said. “Or at least it hasn’t so far.”

“There’s no way to be sure of that,” Dr. O’Connor had said sternly. “After all, we have no reports of it--but that means little. Our search has only begun.”

“Oh,” Malone had said. “Sure.”

“Matter, controlled by thought, might bridge distances instantaneously,” Dr. O’Connor had said.

And he’d referred to something, some word...

Teleportation.

That was it. Malone sat back. All you had to do, he reflected, was to think yourself somewhere else, and--bing!--you were there. If Malone had been able to do it, it would not only have saved him a lot of time and trouble, but also such things as cab fare and train fare and ... oh, a lot of different things.

But he couldn’t. And Dr. O’Connor hadn’t found anyone else who could, either. As far as Malone knew, nobody could teleport.

Except Mike Fueyo.

The cab stopped in front of FBI headquarters. “You some kind of secret agent?” the cabbie said. “Like on 3-D?”

“Of course not,” Malone said pleasantly. “I’m a foreign spy.”

“Oh,” the cabbie said. “Sure.” He took his money with a somewhat puzzled air, while Malone crossed the sidewalk and went into the building.

Everyone was active. Malone pushed his way through arguing knots of men until he reached the small office which he and Boyd had been assigned. He had already decided not to tell Boyd about the disappearing boy. That would only confuse him, and matters were confused enough as they stood. Malone had no proof; he had only his word and the word of a few baffled policemen, all of whom were probably thoroughly confused by now.

Boyd had a job to do, and Malone had decided to let him go on doing it. That, as a matter of fact, was what he was doing when Malone entered the room.

He was sitting at his desk, talking on the telephone. Malone couldn’t see the face on the screen, but Boyd was scowling at it fiercely. “Sure,” he said. “So some guy makes a fuss. That’s what you’re there for.”

“But he wants to sue the city,” a voice said tinnily. “Or somebody, anyhow.”

“Let him sue,” Boyd said. “We’ve got authority. Just get that car.”

“Look,” the voice said. “I--”

“I don’t care now,” Boyd snapped. “Get it. Then hand it over to the pickup squad and say, ‘Mr. Malone wants this car immediately.’ They’ll know what to do. Got that?”

“Sure, Mr. Boyd,” the voice said. “But I don’t--”

“Never mind,” Boyd said. “Go ahead and get the job done. The United States of America is depending on you.” With one last scowl, he hung up and swung around to face Malone. “You gave me a great job,” he said. “I really love it, you know that?”

“It’s got to be done,” Malone said in a noncommittal voice. “How’s it going so far?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close