The Impossibles
Chapter 11

Copyright© 2017 by Randall Garrett

By the time Malone reached the Hotel New Yorker it was six-twenty. Malone hadn’t reckoned with New York’s rush-hour traffic, and, after seeing it, he still didn’t believe it. Finding a cab had been impossible, and he had started for the subway, hoping that he wouldn’t get lost and end up somewhere in Brooklyn.

But one look at the shrieking mob trying to sardine itself into the Seventh Avenue subway entrance had convinced him it was better to walk. Bucking the street crowds was bad enough. Bucking the subway crowds was something Malone didn’t even want to think about.

He let himself into his room, and was taking off his shoes with a grateful sigh when there was a rap on the door of the bathroom that connected his room with Boyd’s. Malone padded over to the door, his shoes in one hand. “Tom?” he said.

“You are expecting maybe Titus Moody?” Boyd called.

“Okay,” Malone said. “Come on in.”

Boyd pushed open the door. He was stripped to the waist, a state of dress which showed the largest expanse of chest Malone had ever seen, and he was carrying the small scissors which he used to trim his Henry VIII beard. He stabbed the scissors toward Malone, who shuffled back hurriedly.

“Listen,” Boyd said. “Did you call the office after you left this afternoon?”

“No,” Malone admitted. “Why? What happened?”

“There was a call for you,” Boyd said. “Long distance, just before I left at five. I came on back to the hotel and waited until I heard you come in. Thought you might want to know about it.”

“I do, I guess,” Malone said. “Who from?” Looking at Boyd, a modern-day Henry VIII, the association was too obvious to be missed. Malone thought of Good Queen Bess, and wondered why she was calling him again.

And--more surprising--why she’d called him at FBI headquarters, when she must have known that he wasn’t there.

“Dr. O’Connor,” Boyd said.

“Oh,” Malone said, somewhat relieved. “At Yucca Flats.”

Boyd nodded. “Right,” he said.

“You’re to call operator nine.”

“Thanks.” Malone went over to the phone, remembered his shoes and put them down carefully on the floor. “Anything else of importance?” he asked.

“On the Cadillacs,” Boyd said. “We’ve got a final report now. Leibowitz and Hardin finally finished checking the last of them; there weren’t quite as many as we were afraid there were going to be. Red isn’t a very popular color around here.”

“Good,” Malone said.

“And there isn’t a doggone thing on any of ‘em,” Boyd said. “Oh, we cleared up a lot of small-time crime, one thing and another, but that’s about all. No such thing as an electro-psionic brain to be found anywhere in the lot. Leibowitz says he’s willing to swear to it.”

Malone sighed. “I didn’t think he’d find one,” he said.

“You didn’t?”

“No,” Malone said.

Boyd stabbed at him with the scissors again. “Then why did you cause all that trouble?” he said.

“Because I thought we might find electro-psionic brains,” Malone said wearily. “Or one, anyhow.”

“But you just said--”

Malone picked up the phone, got long distance, and motioned Boyd to silence in one sweeping series of moves. The long-distance operator said, “Yes, sir? May we help you?”

“Give me operator nine,” Malone said.

There was a buzz, a click, and a new voice which said, “Operator ni-yun. May we help you?”

“All nine of you?” Malone muttered. “Never mind. This is Kenneth Malone. I’ve got a call from Dr. Thomas O’Connor at Yucca Flats. Please connect me.”

There was another buzz, a click and an ungodly howl which was followed by the voice of operator ni-yun saying, “We are connecting you. There will be a slight delay. We are sor-ree.”

Malone waited. At last there was another small howl, and the screen lit up. Dr. O’Connor’s face, as stern and ascetic as ever, stared through at Malone.

“I understand you called me,” Malone said.

“Ah, yes,” Dr. O’Connor said. “It’s very good to see you again, Mr. Malone.” He gave Malone a smile good for exchange at your corner grocery; worth, one icicle.

“It’s good to see you too,” Malone lied.

“Mr. Burris explained to me what it was that you wanted to talk to me about,” O’Connor said, “Am I to understand that you have actually found a teleport?”

“Unless my theories are away off,” Malone said, “I’ve done a lot better than that. I’ve found eight of them.”

“Eight.” Dr. O’Connor’s smile grew perceptibly warmer. It now stood at about thirty-four degrees Fahrenheit. “That is really excellent, Mr. Malone. You have done a fine job.”

“Thanks,” Malone muttered. He wished that O’Connor didn’t make him feel quite so much like a first-year law student talking to an egomaniacal professor.

“When can you deliver them?” O’Connor said.

“Well,” Malone said carefully, “that depends.” O’Connor seemed to view the teleports as pieces of equipment, he thought. “I can’t deliver them until I catch them,” he said. “And that’s why I wanted to talk to you.”

“Some slight delay,” Dr. O’Connor said, “will be quite understandable.” His face left no doubt that he didn’t like the necessity of understanding anything that was going to keep him and the eight teleports apart for even thirty seconds longer, now that he knew about them.

“You see,” Malone said, “they’re kids. Juvenile delinquents, or something like that. But they are teleports, that’s for sure.”

“I see,” Dr. O’Connor said.

“So we’ve got to nab them,” Malone said. “And for that I need all the information I can get.”

Dr. O’Connor nodded slowly. “I’ll be happy,” he said, “to give you any information I can provide.”

Malone took a deep breath, and plunged. “How does this teleportation bit work, anyhow?” he said.

“You’ve asked a very delicate question,” Dr. O’Connor said. “Actually, we can’t be quite positive.” His expression showed just how little he wanted to make this admission. “However,” he went on, brightening, “there is some evidence which seems to show that it is basically the same process as psychokinesis. And we do have quite a bit of empirical data on psychokinesis.” He scribbled something on a sheet of paper and said, “For instance, there’s this.” He held the paper up to the screen so that Malone could read it.

It said:

(md)/(ft**2) = 1/k

Malone looked at it for some seconds. At last he said, “It’s very pretty. What the hell is it?”

“This,” Dr. O’Connor said, in a condescending tone of voice that meant, You should have known all along, but you’re just hopeless, “is the basic formula for the phenomenon, where m is the mass in grams, d is the distance in centimeters, f is the force in dynes, and t is the time in seconds. K is a constant whose value is not yet known, and the numeral 1 is unity.”

Malone said, “Hmm,” and stared at the equation again. Somehow, the explanation was not very helpful. The numeral 1 was unity. He understood that much, all right, but it didn’t seem to do him any good.

“As you can see,” Dr. O’Connor went on, “the greater the force, and the longer time it is applied, the greater distance any given mass can be moved. Or, contrariwise, the more mass, the greater mass, that is, the easier it is to move it any given distance. This is, as you undoubtedly understand, not at all in contradistinction to physical phenomena.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close