The Rat Race - Cover

The Rat Race

Public Domain

Chapter 19

“The President will see you now, Mr. Tompkins,” said the White House usher, as he beckoned me to follow him.

A pleasant, rangy, mild-mannered man rose from behind the great desk and shook my hand.

“Glad to see you, Mr. Tompkins,” he said. “General Vaughan has been telling me great things about your work. What can I do for you?”

As I looked at the guileless, friendly face, my heart sank. Here was one man who should not be deceived. It would be as easy as stuffing a ballot box.

“Mr. President,” I told him, “when I left the Pentagon Building yesterday, I had an elaborate report to submit to you. But I decided that the President of the United States was entitled to the simple truth.”

“That’s right!” snapped the Chief Executive.

“So if you’ll listen to me for five minutes,” I continued, “I’ll tell you the strangest story you ever heard.”

President Truman coughed. “General Vaughan has told me of the fine work you’ve been doing for Z-2,” he observed. “As you can imagine, I’m terribly busy taking on this job.”

“Mr. President,” I began, “to begin with, there’s no such organization as Z-2. If you’ll listen for a few minutes I’ll tell you the whole story.”

I did.

At the end of it, he smiled at me.

“Mr. Tompkins,” he said, “you’re a married man, aren’t you?”

“Yes, Mr. President.”

“Then you tell Mrs. Tompkins for me that I want her to take you home and take good care of you for the next few weeks. You’ve been overdoing it. This Z-2 work has taken it out of you. You need a rest. Now don’t you worry about Z-2,” he continued. “What you need to do is to take things easy. The work will go right ahead. I’m putting Z-2 under General Wakely. This country needs better intelligence services and they ought to be concentrated under one responsible head, if you ask me.”

“But I tell you, Mr. President,” I insisted, “there never was such an organization as Z-2. I invented it in order to clear myself with the F.B.I.”

He flashed a boyish grin at me. “But there’s no doubt that the Alaska went down like a stone?”

“She went up like a sky-rocket, sir.”

“Then this thorium bomb doesn’t sound as though it was practical, sinking one of our ships like that.”

“Mr. President,” I argued, “any bomb will explode if it is deliberately detonated. This bomb was deliberately touched off by Professor Chalmis. He wanted to prevent its use in warfare.”

The President nodded. “Yes, yes, Mr. Tompkins. You explained that to me before. Now you be sure to tell your wife to take good care of you. When you’re rested up, you come on down and see me again and we’ll talk some more about this Z-2 work of yours. We can use men like you in the State Department. I’m sorry I don’t know more about it, but all of President Roosevelt’s papers have been removed from the White House and I don’t even know what he told Stalin at Yalta. Perhaps you’d better talk to the State Department before you take that rest. That’s what they’re for. Thank you for seeing me.”

Two beefy Secret Service men appeared in the doorway.

“Is there any particular man I should see at the Department, sir?” I asked. “I want to get this whole business cleared up.”

The President stood up and shook my hand in dismissal. “Just go across the street and tell them I sent you,” he said. “Good day to you, sir.”

The two body-guards closed in on me, so I bowed slightly and withdrew from the President’s office.

In the anteroom, I found General Wakely pacing up and down like the father of triplets.

“How did it go, Tompkins?” he asked. “You had five extra minutes. Did you get a chance to give him a fill-in about the Navy and you-know-what?”

I shook my head. “My orders are not to discuss that matter any further, General,” I told him.

“But what about Von Bieberstein?” the chief of M.I.D. demanded. “Can you give me a lead?”

“My instructions, General,” I said, “are to discuss matters with the State Department.”

“The State Department!” Wakely was outraged. “Why, they’re nothing but a bunch of Reds! They tell me there are men over there who have spent years in Russia.”

“If I am ever allowed to tell you who Von Bieberstein really is,” I told the General, “you will understand why I am not allowed to discuss it with you now. This is a matter for the Big Three. It is out of my hands entirely.”

At the gate of the White House drive I was suddenly halted by a piercing “Hi!” It was Virginia Rutherford. She dodged her way between two stalwart sentries and took my arm.

“Winnie!” she cooed, as soon as we were across Pennsylvania Avenue, “you utter devil!”

It seemed safest to say nothing.

“Winnie,” she continued. “Do you realize that the Army of the United States dragged me out of bed yesterday morning and flew me down here just to discover that you are a bigger liar than I thought you were?”

“Please don’t blame me for General Wakely,” I told her. “He’s an Eagle Scout in high places. I was getting on fine until you showed up, and please don’t raise your voice at me. If I know the Army, you and I are being tailed right now by the counter-intelligence.”

Virginia snuggled closer to me, as we dodged through the crowd in LaFayette Park watching the White House.

“To think,” she said dreamily, “that all this time you have been an American secret service agent. Ain’t that something?”

Again it seemed safest to say nothing.

“Yes, Winnie Tompkins, super-sleuth!” she continued with an edge on her voice you could have shaved with. “All last winter, when I was under the impression that we were canoodling from bar to bar, you were working for Uncle Sam! It’s one of the best stories of the war, Winnie. Sleep with Tompkins and lick the Axis!”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close