Address: Centauri - Cover

Address: Centauri

Copyright© 2017 by F.L. Wallace

Chapter 3

Docchi waited near the rocket dome. He wasn’t hiding but he did make himself inconspicuous among the carefully nurtured shrubbery. Plants failed to give the illusion of an Earth landscape--in part because some of them were Venusian or Martian imports--but at least the greenery added to the oxygen supply of the asteroid.

“That’s a good job,” commented Docchi. “I thought Nona could do it.”

Jordan could feel him relax as he watched the event. “A mechanical marvel,” he agreed. “But we can gab about that later. I think you ought to get going.”

Docchi glanced around and then went boldly into the passageway that connected the main dome with the much smaller rocket dome that was adjacent to it. Normally it was never completely dark in the inhabited part of the asteroid, modulated twilight was considered more conducive to the slumber of the grievously infirm. It was the benevolent Medicouncil’s theory that a little light would keep away bad dreams. But this wasn’t twilight as they neared the rocket dome. It was a full scale rehearsal for the darkness of interstellar space.

Docchi stopped at the emergency airlock which loomed formidably solid in front of them. “Let’s hope,” he said. “We can forget about it if Nona didn’t manage to cut this out of the circuit.”

“She seemed to understand, didn’t she? What more do you want?” Jordan twisted around Docchi and reached out. The great slab moved easily in the grooves. It was open. “The trouble with you is that you lack confidence, in yourself and in genius.”

Docchi didn’t answer. He was listening intently, trying to interpret the faint sounds ahead of him.

“Okay, I hear it,” whispered Jordan. “Let’s get way inside before he comes near us.”

Docchi went cautiously into the darkness of the rocket dome, feeling his way. He’d never recover in time if he stumbled and fell. He tried to force the luminescence into his face. Occasionally he could control his altered metabolism, and now was the time he needed it.

He was nervous and that hindered his accuracy. He couldn’t be sure the light was right, enough so that he’d be noticed, not so much that the details of his appearance would be plain. He wished he could ask Jordan, but Jordan was in no position to tell him.

The footsteps came nearer and so did profanity, rich in volume but rather meager in imaginative symbolism. Docchi flashed his face once, as bright as he could manage, and then lowered the intensity immediately.

The footsteps stopped. “Docchi?”

“No. Just a lonely little light bulb out for an evening stroll.”

The rocket pilot’s laughter wasn’t altogether friendly. “Sure it’s you. I’d recognize you at the bottom of the sea. What I mean was what are you doing here?”

“I saw the lights go out in the rocket dome. The airlock at the entrance was open so I came. I thought I might be able to help.”

“The lights are off all right. Everything. Even the standby system. First time in my life even the hand beams wouldn’t go on.” The pilot moved closer. The deadly little toaster was in his hand. “Thanks, but you can’t help. You’d better get out. It’s against regulations for patients to be in here. You might steal a rocket or something.”

Docchi ignored the weapon. “What was the cause, a high velocity meteor strike?”

The pilot grunted. “I’d have heard if it was.”

“And you didn’t hear a thing?”

“Nothing.” The pilot peered intently at Docchi, a barely visible silhouette. “Well, I see you’re getting smart these days. You should do it all the time. Wear your arms. You look better that way even if you can’t use them. You look hundred per cent better, almost...” His voice faded.

“Almost human?” asked Docchi kindly. “Nothing like, say a pair of legs and a very good if slightly used spinal column with a lightning bug face stuck on top? You didn’t have this in mind?”

“I didn’t say it. I’m used to you. I can’t help it if you’re overly sensitive. I don’t suppose it’s your fault.” His voice got higher. “Anyway I told you to get going. You don’t belong in here.”

“But I don’t want to go,” said Docchi. “I’m not afraid of the dark. Are you? I’m looking for some corner to brighten. Can I let a little light in your life?”

“I’m supposed to report psycho talk, Docchi, and damned if I won’t. Personally I always suspected you. Get out of here before I take your fake hand and drag you out.”

“Now you’ve hurt my feelings,” said Docchi reproachfully, stepping nimbly away.

“Don’t say you didn’t try to make me mad,” growled the pilot, lunging after him. What he took hold of wasn’t an imitation hand, delicately molded and colored to duplicate skin. The hand he touched was real and the muscles in it were more than a match for his own. It was surprise, at first, that caused him to scream.

Docchi bent double and the dark figure on his back came over his head like a knife from a sheath. The pilot was lifted off his feet and slammed to the floor.

“Jordan,” gurgled the pilot.

“It’s me,” said Jordan. He wrapped one arm around the pilot’s throat and clamped tight. With the other he felt for the toaster the pilot still held but hadn’t time to use. Effortlessly he tore it away and hammered the man unconscious with the butt. He stopped just short of smashing the skull. Docchi stood ineffectually by, kicking where he could, but the action was fast and he had no arms.

But Jordan didn’t need help. “Let there be light,” he said when he was finished, and there was--a feeble flickering illumination from Docchi.

Jordan balanced himself with his hands. He had a strong head and massive powerful arms and shoulders. His body stopped below his chest, there was no more. A round metal capsule contained his digestive organs. Accidentals were indeed the odds and ends of creation, and of Jordan one end was missing. But the part that remained made up for the loss.

“Dead?” Docchi glanced down at the pilot.

Jordan rocked forward and listened for the heartbeat. “Nah,” he said. “I was going to clout him again but I remembered we can’t afford to kill anybody.”

“See that you don’t forget,” said Docchi. He stifled an exclamation as something coiled around his leg. Jumping forward he broke loose from the thing that caught him.

“Repair robot,” chuckled Jordan, looking around. “The place is lousy with them.”

Docchi blinked on and off in confusion and the robot rolled clumsily toward him.

“Friendly creature,” commented Jordan. “I think it wants to tinker with your lighting system.”

Docchi shook off the squat contrivance which, after it touched his flesh, whirred puzzledly to itself. The job was beyond its capacity but it didn’t leave. “What’ll we do with him?” asked Docchi, staring at the pilot.

“He needs attention,” said Jordan. “Not the kind I gave him.” He balanced the toaster in his hand and burned a small hole in the little wheeled monster. Extensibles emerged from the side of the machine and carefully explored the damaged area. The extensibles slid back into the machine and presently came out again with a small torch. It began welding the hole.

Meanwhile Jordan pulled the unconscious man toward him. He leaned against the machine for leverage and raised the inert pilot over his head and laid him gently on the top flat surface. The reaction from the robot was immediate. Another extensible reached out to investigate the body. Jordan welded the joints solid. Three times he repeated the process until the pilot was securely fastened to the robot.

“It doesn’t know when it’s licked,” said Jordan. “It’ll stay there repairing itself until it’s completely sound. However I can do something about that.” He adjusted the toaster beam to an imperceptible thickness and deftly sliced through the control case, removing a circular section. He thrust his hand inside and ripped out circuits. “No further self-repair,” he said cheerfully. “Docchi, I’ll need your help. I think it’s a good idea to route the robot around the main dome a few times before it delivers the pilot to the hospital. No point giving ourselves away before we’re ready.”

Docchi bent over to help him and with some trouble the proper sequence was implanted. The robot stood motionless as the newest commands shuttled erratically through damaged but not inoperative circuits. Finally it screeched softly and began to roll drunkenly away.

“Get on my back,” said Docchi doggedly. “You know we’ve got to hurry.”

“You’re tired,” said Jordan. “Half gravity or not, you can’t carry me farther.” He worked swiftly and the harness that had supported him on Docchi’s back fell to the floor. “Stay down and listen,” growled Jordan as Docchi attempted to get up.

Docchi listened. “Geepees.”

“Yeah,” said Jordan. “I wonder who they’re after. You’ll have to move fast to get to the rocket.”

“What can I do when I get there? By myself nothing. You’ll have to help me.”

“Get on your back and neither of us get there?” said Jordan. “You can figure out something later. Start moving.”

“I’m not leaving you,” said Docchi.

A huge paw clamped on the back of his head. “Now you listen,” said Jordan fiercely. “Together we were a better man than the pilot--your legs and my arms. Now we got to separate but we can still prove we’re better than Cameron and all his geepees.”

“We’re not trying to prove anything,” said Docchi. “It’s a question of urgent principle. Right now there are men who can go to the stars and it’s up to us to let the rest of mankind know it.”

A brilliant light sliced through the darkness and swept around the rocket dome, revealing beams and columns of the structure. “Maybe you’re not trying to prove anything personal,” said Jordan. “I am. The rest of us are. Otherwise why shouldn’t we let them go on spoon feeding us, rocking us to sleep every night?” Impatiently he hitched himself along the ground until he came to a column.

“You can’t hide behind that,” said Docchi.

“Not behind it. On top I can. With no legs that’s where I belong.” He grasped the steel member in his great hands and in the light gravity ascended rapidly.

“Careful,” called Docchi.

“What have I got to be careful about?” Jordan’s voice floated down from the lacy structure. And it was no longer directly overhead. Jordan was moving away along the beams that stretched from column to column. For those who knew of it there was an unsuspected roadway above. Jordan had it to himself and the geepees would never find him.

It was foolish to become elated over such a trivial thing. Jordan wasn’t there yet and what he’d do when he arrived was problematical. But it did prove--yes, there was already proof of some sort for him. Docchi set out, walking faster and faster until he was running. He wouldn’t have thought it possible but he was able to increase the distance between himself and the pursuing robots.

Even so he didn’t have much time to look around when he reached the rocket. The first glimpse of the ship was disheartening. Passenger and freight locks were still closed. Nona either hadn’t understood their instructions completely or she hadn’t been able to carry them out. Probably the first. She’d disrupted the circuits, light and scanning, with no tools except her hands. Her skill with machines she couldn’t have known about previously was sometimes uncanny. But it was too much to expect that she’d have the rocket ready for them to walk into.

It was up to Docchi to get in by himself. If he was ever going to it would have to be by his own efforts. Momentarily he wished for the toaster they’d taken from the pilot, and then dropped the wish before it was fully formed. With the toaster he might have managed to soften the inside catch at the entrance. And the thought itself was an indication of how his mind rebelled at reality--he had no arms and he couldn’t have used the toaster. It was right and proper that Jordan had kept the weapon. It was of value to him.

Docchi searched frantically, trying to comprehend the complex installation around him in a glance. There had to be some provision made for opening the ship when no one was inside, a device which would send an impulse to actuate the catches. He’d be lucky if he could operate it, but luck had been with him so far.

But if there was an external control he failed to find it. And the approaching lights warned that his chances were diminishing. That there was any time left was Cameron’s mistake--he’d ordered the geepees to look too thoroughly as they came along. They were capable of faster pursuit. This mistake was on Cameron and he might make more.

From the sounds that drifted to him Docchi surmised that Jordan was still at large, perhaps nearby. Did the doctor know this? Probably not--he’d tend to underestimate the accidentals.

Docchi descended into the shallow landing pit. It was remarkably ill suited for concealment. The walls were smooth, glazed with a faintly green substance, and there were no doors or niches anywhere. Yet he had to be somewhere near the ship and this was as close as he could get. It wouldn’t do to wander away--Cameron would post a robot guard around the ship and he wouldn’t be able to get back through. He had to hide at once.

He leaned against the stern tube cluster, the metal pressing hard into the thin flesh that covered his back. Seconds passed before he realized that the tubes were the answer. He turned around to look at them. A small boy could climb inside and crawl out of sight. So could a grown man who had no shoulders or arms to get wedged in the narrow cylinder.

It was difficult to get into them. He tried a lower tube, bending down and thrusting his head in. He wriggled and shoved with his feet until he was almost entirely in. His feet were still out and so he bent his knees to get better purchase and forced himself further in. He didn’t stop until he was certain he couldn’t be seen by anyone who didn’t specifically peer into the tube.

He waited there, listening. A geepee came down noisily into the landing pit. The absence of any other sound indicated to Docchi that it probably was radio controlled. The robot clambered around, searching. The noise abated soon but it became apparent that the geepee wasn’t going to leave. It had been stationed to watch the pit.

Docchi couldn’t get out. He was caught in the pit. He fought back the claustrophobia that swirled through his mind. It was nothing to be afraid of; he could assure his rescue, or capture, by shouting. The robot would drag him out instantly.

But that was not the only way. The tube extended forward as well as back. The inner end of the tube was closed with a combustion chamber which was singed and would swing away. The ship hadn’t been used for months and there was a distinct possibility that the tubes were open at the other end. He might get through.

He stopped to catch his breath. The metal conducted sound well, almost magnifying it. In the interval, over his own breathing, he heard the characteristic sputter, like frying, that the toaster beam made when it struck metal. A great clatter followed.

“Get him,” shouted Cameron. “He’s up there.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close