Address: Centauri
Chapter 6

Copyright© 2017 by F.L. Wallace

Perfectly synchronized to their speed the outer shell of the dome opened, closing behind them before they reached the inner shell. It too gaped wide to swallow them, snapping shut like a quickly sprung trap. Jordan set the controls in neutral and dropped his hands, muttering to himself. They glided to a stop over the landing pit, thereafter settling slowly. Homecoming.

“Cheer up,” said Cameron jauntily. “You’re not prisoners.”

Nona alone seemed not to mind. Docchi hadn’t said anything for hours and the light was gone from his face. Anti wasn’t with them; she was back floating in the acid tank. The reentry into the gravity field of the asteroid made it necessary.

The ship scraped gently; they were down. Jordan mechanically touched a lever, flicked a switch. Passenger and freight locks swung open. “Let’s go,” said Cameron. “I imagine there’s a reception committee for us.”

Even he was surprised at what was waiting. The little rocket dome held more ships than normally came in a year. The precise confusion of military discipline was everywhere. Armed guards lined either side of the landing ramp and more platoons were in the distance. It was almost amusing to see how dangerous the Medicouncil considered them.

Near the end of the ramp a large telecom had been set up. If size indicated anything someone thought this was an important occasion. From the screen, larger than life, Medicouncilor Thorton looked out approvingly.

“A good job, Dr. Cameron,” said the medicouncilor as the procession from the ship halted. “We were quite surprised at the escape of our accidentals and your disappearance which coincided with it. From what we were able to piece together, you followed them deliberately. A splendid example of quick thinking, doctor. You deserve recognition.”

“I thought it was my fault for letting them get so far. I had to try to stop them.”

“No doubt it was. But you atoned, you atoned. I’m sorry I can’t be there in person to congratulate you but I’ll arrive soon.” The medicouncilor paused discreetly. “At first the publicity was bad, very bad. We thought it unwise to try to conceal it. Of course the broadcast made it impossible to hide anything. Fortunately the discovery of the gravity drive came along at just the right time. When we announced it opinion began swinging in our direction. I don’t mind telling you the net effect is now in our favor.”

“I hoped it would be,” said Cameron. “I don’t want them to be hurt. They’re all vulnerable, Nona especially, because of what she is. I’ve thought quite a bit about how she should be approached----”

“I’m sure you have.” The medicouncilor smiled faintly. “Don’t let your emotions run away with you. In due time we’ll discuss her. For the present see that she and the other accidentals are returned to their usual places. Bring Docchi to your office at once. He’s to be questioned privately.”

It was a strange request and mentally Cameron retreated. “Wait. Are you sure you want Docchi? He’s the engineer but----”

“No objections, doctor,” said Thorton sternly. “Important people are waiting. Don’t spoil their good opinion of you.” The telecom snapped into darkness.

“I think you heard what he said, Dr. Cameron.” The officer at his side was very polite, perhaps because it emphasized the three big planets on his tunic.

“I heard,” said Cameron irritably. “I don’t want to argue with authority but since I’m in charge of this place I demand that you furnish a guard for this girl.

“So you’re in charge?” drawled the officer. “You know I’ve got a funny feeling I’m commander here. My orders said I was to replace you until further notice. I haven’t got that notice.” He looked around at his men and crooked a finger. “Lieutenant, see that the little fella--Jordan, I think his name is--gets a lift back to the main dome. And you can walk the pretty lady to her room, or whatever it is she lives in. Don’t get too personal though unless she encourages it.” He smiled condescendingly at Cameron. “Anything else I can do to oblige a fellow commander?”

Cameron glanced at the guards. They were everywhere he looked, smartly uniformed, alert. There was no indication of amusement in the expressions of those near enough to have heard the conversation. They were well disciplined. “Nothing else, General,” he said stonily. “Keep her in sight. You’re responsible.”

“So I am,” remarked the officer pleasantly, winking at the lieutenant. “Let’s go.”


Medicouncilor Thorton was waiting impatiently on the screen in Cameron’s office. The attitude suited him well, as if he’d tried many and found slightly concealed discourtesy best for the personality of the busy executive. “We’ll arrive in about two hours,” he said immediately. “By this I mean a number of top governmental officials, scientists, and some of our leading industrialists. Their time is valuable so let’s get on with this gravity business.”

He caught sight of the commander. “General Judd, this is a technical matter. I don’t think you’ll be interested.”

“Very well, sir. I’ll stand guard outside.”

The medicouncilor was silent until the door closed. “Sit down, Docchi,” he said with unexpected solicitude, pausing to note the effect. “I can sympathize with you. Everything within your reach--and then to return here. Well, I can understand how you feel. But since you did come back I think we can arrange to do things for you.”

Docchi stared at the screen. A spot of light pulsed in his cheek and then flared rapidly over his face. “You probably will,” he said casually. “But what about theft charges? We stole a ship.”

“A formality,” declared the medicouncilor with earnest simplicity. “With a thing like the discovery, or rediscovery, of the gravity drive, no one’s going to worry about an obsolete ship. How else could you test your theories except by trying them out in actual flight?”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close