Address: Centauri - Cover

Address: Centauri

Copyright© 2017 by F.L. Wallace

Chapter 11

In the beginning there was silence and it never changed. No sound came to break the stillness. Darkness changed to light with regularity or not, but in the particular universe in which she lived there was never any noise nor any conversation, and music was unknown. She didn’t miss it.

There were also machines in the universe in which she dwelt and these too observed a dichotomy. Some machines were warm and soft and this distinguished them from those which were hard and cool. The warm ones started themselves when they were very small. Later they grew up but they didn’t know how they did it. Neither did she. Once she was little and she didn’t remember doing anything to change it, but it did change.

The hard machines she knew more about. They didn’t always have picture receptors on top. Some were blind and some saw more than she did, though not quite in the same way. She could never tell by looking at them which was apt to do which.

(There was a stupid little running machine that she had discovered once that was perpetually scurrying about looking for things to do. It would never have survived on Earth because there was an unexpected flaw in it. She herself had sensed the fault and started to fix it only to realize that here was an unexpected stroke of luck. Curiosity circuits there were by the million but they were all mechanical and what they produced could be strictly predicted. But this was unique. A deviation in the manufacturing process, a slight change in the density of the material, whatever it was something extraordinarily fine had been put together and it would take a hundred years of chance to duplicate it.)

(Midway she had changed her mind and instead had altered the machine to encourage the basic sensitivity. She hadn’t seen it recently. She hoped someone who didn’t understand hadn’t undone her work.)

The known order crumbled under the touch into something that was strange. But where sight itself would not suffice, it was possible to touch reality, to soak it into the skin, like understanding which cometh slowly to the growing mind. But what was understanding? Parts of it were always left out and she could venture toward it only a little way.

She twisted the head on the bench. The silence was unchanging. (What was silence?) Other heads on the bench didn’t move; they weren’t supposed to. Once they had been attached to clumsy machines and could move about with a stiff degree of freedom. They couldn’t now, though they could twist the light perceptors in whichever direction suited them.

But they didn’t know where to look.

She herself couldn’t see the thing that was approaching. It was because her eyes were imperfect. Lenses were pliable and nerve endings were huge things, too gross to catch the instant infinitesimal signals. Or perhaps it was permeability--force bounced on distant impenetrability and bounded back to and through her senses.

She’d have to align the heads to help them help her, string them together for what reinforcement they offered each other. And still they wouldn’t see because what they depended on for seeing was too slow. By itself the hookup wouldn’t correct their sight.

But nearby was a fast mind though a lazy one. It liked routine once the meaning of it was made clear. And it worked with instantaneity. Blind itself it could fingertip touch the incredible impulses and interpret what it felt for those who had eyes. It would join with her, reluctantly but surely if she made it interesting, a game at which it could always win. And winning wouldn’t be difficult for it, not against these nine circuit bound minds, even if it was true that they did augment one another. Singly there were stupid and even added they were not much better. Their virtue was that they were electronic.

(Alone) Were there intangible machines? Sometimes she thought there might be. People twisted their mouth and (not because they were smiling) to indicate that they too understood. She could touch the air coming out but the impulses had no meaning. It was not like vibrations machines set up, harmonics that told of the unseen structure. There was nothing mechanical that could be concealed from harmonics--there were no hard and fast secrets. But what came out of mouths was senseless. It told nothing, or if it did have meaning her hands and her skin were unable to relay the interpretation further. (People were soft machines and they did not ring true. It was difficult to understand.)

Her hands were usually quite capable. (Now) she wove wires so fine that only occasional light was caught and brilliantly reflected. Each strand led somewhere. She removed panels from the robots’ heads and grouped them closer. They were beginning to shake off their incomplete individuality. They were no longer separate mechanisms, each of which could only grope for a small fragment of reality. They were merging, becoming larger and stronger. There was more to be done to them but she couldn’t do it.

As light as her touch was it was too inaccurate for what must follow. There were objects smaller than her eye could see, movements finer than her muscles could control. She summoned a repair machine whose microsenses were adequate to begin with. She would like to have the one she repaired some time ago (actually it was quite smart) but it had disappeared and she didn’t know where to find it. However this one would do.

It was set merely to repair what was already built, but what she wanted was not yet made. She changed the instructions; they were not to her liking anyway.

She delved into the machine and set the problem. The statement of it was complex and she wasn’t sure how much data the robot aide would need. When she finished it stood there thrumming. It didn’t move.

She waited but nothing happened. The robot, whose senses were far finer than her own, remained frozen and baffled. Impatiently she restated the problem, rephrased it so that it could reach every part of the circuit almost instantly. Where it was complex she simplified, reducing it at last to an order the robot could act on. It began to work, slowly at first.

It copied exactly a circuit she had made previously. After she approved it started another, like the first but much smaller, attaching it in series. Satisfied it was obeying instructions, she left it. It would continue to make those circuits, each one progressively smaller, the final one delicate enough to contact the gravity computer.

Meanwhile there was her own work. It wouldn’t suffice that the geepees be linked with the gravity computer. They would then see what she had discovered long ago--but it was people who had to be shown. Their eyes were even less sensitive than hers.

Fortunately this was the easiest part. She went to the screen and began to alter it. It could be made to scan what the gravity computer passed on to the geepee heads. A row of dominos, each of which would topple if the first were struck, and the screen was the last of the series.

“Hello,” said a voice. “So this is where you always are. What a dreary place to work.”

She didn’t hear the voice. She felt the footsteps and the air brushing against her skin. She turned around, letting her hands continue, deft and sure. She didn’t need to see what she was doing. The smile was involuntary.

He leaned against the wall, watching her. It was embarrassing the way she gazed back. He wished she could say something but then he’d always wished it. He’d had a thesis once, hadn’t he? that for mechanics deafness wasn’t a handicap considering how noisy machines were. A deaf person could withstand a concentration of sound the average man would find intolerable. And there was no need for such a person to talk since there was no one who could hear.

The connections in her hands grew swiftly. She felt that she could work better while he was near. Why was this?

“What do you respond to?” he said gruffly. “Diagrams, blue-prints? If so I’ll have to learn to draw the damnedest things.” He laughed uncertainly. “Come on, help me a little bit. I’ve got some ideas that might help you break out of your shell if you’d try to respond.”

He fixed things too, warm soft mechanisms. She didn’t know but she thought it was a higher skill than hers. He was not as adept as she was, though he could learn to be. There was so much more he could do if he would realize. His mouth was a handicap. He moved it often when he should be thinking.

“Listen, robot face, I left a career for you. Do you think they wouldn’t take me back? The Medicouncil wouldn’t like it but I’d have been a popular hero. Sometimes they want their heroes to fail. Besides from their viewpoint it was the best possible solution. Now they don’t have to think of people like you out on that god-forsaken asteroid. You’re off their conscience and they don’t have to have bad dreams about you.”

She smiled again and it was infuriating. What he said or did had no effect. “At least show that you recognize me. Stop what you’re doing. It can’t be important.”

He drew her to him roughly and the work fell from her hands. The connections had been done minutes before and she’d continued to hold them because she didn’t want to move away from him. She was willing to let him look at her closely if he wanted. It was surprising how much he wanted to.

Later he held her away from him. “I take it back,” he said softly. “You’re not a robot face. There’s no point of resemblance to a machine. And look, you’ve even discovered that you’ve got more than one expression.”

The robot aide that had been laboring on whirred inaudibly and clacked its extensibles. It rolled away from the work bench, brushing lightly against the doctor as it did so.

Cameron glanced down blankly, not actually seeing it. “What do I do now?” he said with unexpected gloominess. “You’re a child. You’re as old as Jeriann, maybe as old as I am, but in this you’re hardly more than a child.” What was consent and how would he know when he had it? Well, no, that was not the problem--he knew, but would she? What could he explain to her? He put his arms around her and gazed thoughtfully over her head at the odds and ends of machinery she had been stringing together. The screen flickered and sprang into illumination.

He glared at it for interrupting his thoughts. It seemed to him he had just discovered something very significant and if he’d had a few more minutes he’d have been able to say it in a way he’d never forget. But there was a shape on the screen and he couldn’t ignore it. The image wavered in and out of focus, growing clearer as the machine learned to hold it steady.

It was a ship.

A ship. He dropped his hands. “Don’t give up on me. I’m not going to run out on you.” Was it his imagination that the ship was growing larger? His throat was dry and tight. The last thing he wanted to see was a ship.

“I don’t know what we can do about this, Nona, but come on. We’ll see.”

She leaned against the wall, showing no inclination to follow. She seemed to be disturbed but he would guess it was not about the same thing he was. “Come on,” he said. “We’ve got to tell the others.”

And still she didn’t move. “I can’t stay here,” he muttered and kissed her. He started walking away fast so he’d be able to leave.

She could tell that he was upset by the unexpected appearance of the ship on the scanner. Perhaps he thought they were alone in space, that emptiness was lonely. He ought to have known better. She had seen it long ago, and guessed what it meant. It would have to be overcome.

What she couldn’t understand was what happened to her when he touched her. Others had tried to come close and either she minded or was indifferent and they went away. But this was surely outside of her experience. She thought it meant something to touch a machine and to know therefrom what it was. But to come in contact with him and to learn all at once what he was--yes and herself too ... The warm soft mechanism that she was behaved strangely--never the same way twice.

And now she was becoming confused--because she would always feel this when he was near--and she didn’t mind.

She closed her eyes and could see him more clearly. (What was choice?)


Docchi walked on, carefully skirting one of the columns that supported the dome. Once it had seemed huge and unshakable and now it was remarkably slender. The dome itself was hardly adequate to keep the darkness overhead from descending. This was the dull side of their rotation; they were looking back at the way they’d come. The stars were gray and faint. “Where did you see it?” he asked after a long silence.

“In the place Jordan described. It’s deep underground but I believe it’s near one of the piles. I felt the wall and it was warm.”

“Somewhere below the gravity computer,” said Docchi. “Why there, I don’t know, but Nona may have had a reason. What I want to know is: how do you account for the ship?”

“What?” said Cameron. “Oh, I leave that to you and Jordan. I can’t explain it.”

Docchi guessed why the doctor was less concerned than he tried to be. Let him live with his exaltation for a while. It might not last. “Part of it’s easy, how the ship came to be there.”

“It isn’t to me,” said Cameron. “We haven’t been gone long, not much more than a month.”

“Six weeks to be exact. Six weeks on our calendar.”

“I see, relative time. I heard we were approaching the speed of light but I didn’t think we were close enough to make any difference.” He glanced at his watch as if it held secrets he couldn’t fathom. “How long have we actually been gone, Earth time?”

“I don’t know. We haven’t any figures on our acceleration rate nor our present speed.”

“What are you planning to do? We can’t just sit here and let them overtake us.”

“I don’t know. We’re not helpless.” Docchi’s plans were vague. There was much that had to be determined before he could decide on anything. “You’re certain it’s one of ours? It’s not an alien ship?”

The idea hadn’t occurred to Cameron. He turned the image around in his mind before he answered. “I’m not familiar with ship classifications, but it’s ours unless these aliens use the English language. There was a name on it. I could read part. It ended in -tory.”

“The Victory class,” said Docchi. “The biggest thing built. At one time it was intended for interstellar service, before the gravity drive fizzled.”

“That’s how they were able to do it,” said Cameron. “I’ve been wondering how they were able to send a ship after us so soon, even allowing for the fact that we’ve been gone longer than it seems to us, maybe two or three months instead of six weeks.”

He had nothing definite to go on but in Docchi’s opinion the time was closer to half a year. “Right. Since the ships were already there rusting in the spaceport all they had to do was clean them up and add an information unit to the drive. They may have started work on it while we were in the solar system, when they were still looking for Nona.”

The special irony was that our own discoveries were being used against them. Nona’s first, the resurrected drive, and then his own not negligible contribution. Docchi himself had told them. His thoughtless remark that the drive would function without Nona had been relayed back to Earth. Vogel the engineer had probably picked it up and sent the information on. Someone would have chanced on the idea anyway, but he had given them weeks. And a week was of incalculable importance--planets could be won or lost.

Cameron was silent as they walked on. “There’s a ship but we don’t know where. Let’s not worry until we find where it’s going.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close