Address: Centauri - Cover

Address: Centauri

Copyright© 2017 by F.L. Wallace

Chapter 12

Anti looked up at the dome. It was all she could see with comfort. Stars changed less than she would have believed. The patterns were substantially the same as on Earth. Brightness varied with rotation, that was the main difference. Now those overhead were brilliant and that meant she was facing the direction they were travelling. She wondered which was Alpha and which Proxima Centauri. She never had been able to recognize them.

She extended one arm, splashing acid. Lately there were times she had to keep moving if she didn’t want to freeze. It wasn’t pleasant but she could endure it for the sake of walking some day. There were degrees of helplessness and no one else, even here, was completely immobilized, confined completely to a specialized environment. She had forgotten much of the past and couldn’t see far into the future. Perhaps it wasn’t worth looking into.

“Quiet, you’ll scare the fish.”

She paddled around until she could see Jordan. “If you find fish who can live in this, throw them in. I’ll welcome any kind of company.”

“Maybe Cameron can mutate fish to stand the cold,” suggested Jordan. “Or if that fails he can always transfer the fungus to them.”

“I don’t wish it on anything, even a fish.”

“It wouldn’t hurt. Besides, it might make them immortal.”

“Thanks. I like fish, but not as playmates. They’re better on a plate.”

“Barbaric,” said Jordan. “I prefer scientific food, synthetics. Wholly removed from the taint of the living creature. Something that didn’t die in quick agony so that you could smack your lips. Germ free, compounded of balanced elements.”

“Came from nature myself,” said Anti. “Uncivilized though it is, I prefer nutrition from the same source.”

“You’re confusing yourself,” commented Jordan. “Synthetics contain everything necessary for life. When was the last time Jeriann ate?”

“Longer than she cares to remember. Besides you’re quibbling. She gets concentrates, which is not the same as synthetics.”

“A minor point,” conceded Jordan, coming closer. “However I didn’t intend to talk about food.”

“I don’t care what it is as long as you talk. I need conversation too.”

“There’s Nona,” began Jordan.

“Exceptions, exceptions. What do I care except that I get tired of staring up at nothing? Sometimes I wish they’d planted the tank at the entrance to the hospital. People’d have to stop and talk.”

“For a while I was thinking of that.”

“No you don’t,” said Anti. “There are useful things that have to be done.”

“I abandoned the idea when I considered what your viewpoint would be. But we did move the tank once.”

“Never again. Anyway geepees are scarce and who else could do it?”

“I could,” said Jordan. He added quickly: “It’s a joke.” He swung along the tank until he was as close as he could get without toppling in. “Instead of something you’d forget once I left, I brought a gift.”

“What is it? I can’t see from this angle.”

“It’s a belt.”

“You doll. It’s beautiful.”

“No it’s not--merely wonderful.”

“I know. Save it for me, till later. It will go swoosh if acid touches it.”

“It positively will not react. I took care of that. There are some metals that are just about inert. It wasn’t easy to cover it but I did.”

“You made it for me. You shouldn’t have.”

Jordan puzzled himself with it. He hadn’t much to do with it. At the most he’d made a protective covering for it. Nona was solely responsible for the way it functioned. And there was no doubt whom she intended it for; that was why he hadn’t hesitated taking it. And yet, why hadn’t she turned it over to Anti? It was working perfectly the first time he saw it.

The logical answer was that it wasn’t in operating condition, that she couldn’t make it work and had laid it aside for further inspiration. But this led to nonsensical conclusions involving the repair robot. He refused to accept the conclusions. “Let’s say I didn’t make it entirely. I added to what was existing.” He swung the belt out to her.

“Are you sure it will fit? I’m quite big.”

“Originally it wouldn’t. I had to make it longer.”

Anti examined the belt at length. “Hammered link effect. Primitive but striking.”

Jordan blushed. “I thought it was a pretty smooth job. I had to do it by hand.”

“It is,” exclaimed Anti. “You have a strong unconscious sense of design.” With trepidation she lowered it in the acid and when nothing happened she fastened it. “There,” she said in triumph. “The first piece of jewelry in years. I feel like a new woman.”

“You are, Anti. Believe me, you are.”

She laughed giddily. “It’s silly, but I do believe it. It’s amazing what jewelry will do for a woman.”

“It’s not exactly jewelry.” Jordan tried to think of how to explain it. Anti was unscientific, or better--prescientific. “Think of it as a complicated machine that’s remotely connected to your mind.”

“My mind? Am I supposed to be telepathic now? Is that what it is? Can I talk with anyone, no matter at what distance they are?”

“No, you’re not telepathic except well maybe in a certain way.”

Jordan was silent, trying to sort the explanation. It never occurred to her that machines operated at different levels, many of them simultaneously, electrical or electromagnetic, others more subtle. Jordan gave up. “Think of what you’d most like to do.”

“It’s no use, Jordan. I won’t torment myself. I know how long it’s going to take.”

He should have kept it and demonstrated. That would have convinced her. He would never forget the first time he had worn it--and nearly frightened himself off the ceiling. He cast about for other ways but nothing else was necessary. Anti was thinking of what she’d forbidden herself to contemplate.

“There,” said Jordan, his voice rough with pride. “I knew you’d get the hang of it.”

“Why didn’t you say so?” said Anti. “The gravity computer. My mind and that mind.”

For a prescientific person she’d grasped the essentials quickly. “Jordan, maybe you should keep it,” she called. “You can use it as well as I can.”

“I don’t need it,” he said. “Nobody’s heard me complaining. And you can’t, or couldn’t move.” He gazed at her in alarm. “Come on down,” he shouted. “You can’t catch the stars by yourself.”

“You think I can’t?” said Anti. “I’ll come closer to it than anyone who ever lived.”

Nevertheless she obeyed his instructions, sinking slowly until her feet touched the ground. The grass crackled and smouldered, though it was green, bursting into flame where she walked as the acid dripped down. And it was walking, though her legs carried only a fraction of her real weight. The rest of the weight was destroyed for her convenience by the gravity computer as it responded continually and repeatedly to her unspoken commands.

“The doctor will be surprised,” muttered Jordan.

“Not as much as I am,” said Anti. “I can fly if I want, but do you know, I’d rather walk.”


Docchi teetered on the chair. Not much; if he fell he had no way of stopping himself, and there was the devil’s own time getting up. “I’m speechless,” he said.

“So was Cameron,” said Anti.

“I imagine. He didn’t expect his prognosis to be disproved so soon.” Docchi righted the chair. “This is the thing Jordan’s been working on.”

“He said he didn’t have much to do with it. He would.” Anti moved warily. The acid soaked robe had stopped dripping but there was enough left to react with subdued violence if she came into contact with the wrong substance. “The best is I’m already stronger--using my muscles more. I don’t have an exact way of knowing since there aren’t gadgets and dials in my mind but it seems to me I can support a lot more of my weight. Maybe I can walk unaided at quarter gravity.”

Docchi let the calls, of which there were several, go unattended. It was the first big personal victory for any accidental and it was heartening amidst the general uncertainties. “Fine, fine. But how long can you continue? Won’t you revert?”

“Cameron says I won’t. He made several tests which indicate the virulence of the fungus. He says the body conquers.”

And for her it had. The biological mechanism had reached the point of strength wherein it could contain the attenuated invasion with little outside help. After some indefinite period the menace would be reduced, finally vanquished, utterly and forever. The body conquered.

“Cameron says it will be enough to sleep in the tank. I don’t mind, though I won’t get much sleep. I feel the cold now, though not as much as anyone else would.

“For the rest I’ll increase the weight on my legs as much as I can. It’s almost automatic; no buttons to push except mentally. If I get tired I think myself lighter.”

The mechanism couldn’t be improved on. It was a portable null gravity field that fit neatly around her and touched nothing else. And if Anti had reported Jordan’s views correctly, it was impossible to build another like it because they didn’t have the parts. It was an excellent device but not of great importance except to Anti. Jordan could use one too and so could a number of others though they wouldn’t get it. It replaced legs and was more efficient in all respects save appearance.

There was nothing, however, that was a substitute for hands.

“Now that you’re up and moving, what do you want to do?” he said. “You must be anxious to get busy.”

“It’s a funny thing but I’m not,” she said. “It sounds queer but I want to look around. I haven’t seen anything except what I could glimpse from the tank.”

Docchi rocked back; he’d always thought of her as knowing more about the asteroid than anyone else. In a personal sense she did, having been there longer than anyone he could name. It was said she may even have been responsible for the building of the asteroid, so they’d have some place to put her. It might be true. “Go ahead. Jordan will show you around. You don’t have to be in a hurry to take a job.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close