Address: Centauri - Cover

Address: Centauri

Copyright© 2017 by F.L. Wallace

Chapter 14

“I’m cold,” said Jeriann.

“Put on more clothes,” said Docchi grimly.

“That’s not a nice thing to say to a girl with a figure as pretty as hers,” said Anti.

“She can go to hydroponics,” suggested Jordan. “It’s warmer there and we’ve had to allow lights.”

“But it’s a lot smaller than it was and too many have crowded in. I don’t want to be crushed,” said Jeriann. She wouldn’t have left even if it hadn’t been true.

“Have to cut down,” said Anti. “Meanwhile, what do we eat? Synthetics.” She snorted.

“Synthetics are pure,” said Jordan. His enthusiasm was less than it had been. A steady diet had begun to alter his opinion.

“Pure what?” said Anti, but received no reply. She looked over the circle huddled around the scanner. Nona was curled near Cameron, sleeping peacefully. Docchi leaned forward with uncomfortable intensity. Jeriann was beside him but he didn’t seem to notice her. “How long does this go on?” said Anti. “I’m getting tired of freezing in the dark.” Actually she didn’t mind it; cold that would kill others still bothered her hardly at all.

“Until we know,” said Docchi. “All the way to Centauri if it takes that long.”

“How can we know?”

“We’ll find out as soon as we measure relative speeds,” answered Docchi. “The scanner is similar to radar but it uses gravity, which makes things rather difficult. We can’t send out an impulse and see how long it takes to get back because it travels instantaneously as far as we’re concerned.”

“Then there isn’t any way? They seem to know how fast we’re going.”

“Better astronomical equipment,” said Docchi. “We’re a bigger object and they were able to measure our light shift, until we stopped illuminating the whole dome.”

“And now they can’t tell because they can seldom see us?”

“The contrary, if they’re on their toes. They should guess that we’re putting most of the power into the drive.”

“Then how can we find out?” said Anti.

“Triangulation,” said Docchi. “When we first saw them it was from the front. In past weeks they’ve crept up until they’re nearly broadside. Now I hope they’ll drop back. It may take weeks to tell, especially if our speeds are almost evenly matched.”

“And if we don’t gain?”

“With our power?” interrupted Jordan, ceasing to tune the scanner. “But, all right, we don’t gain. We’ll get there first because we’re still a little ahead of them.

“If there are no aliens there’s no question of interstellar law. They’ll have to hunt us down over an entire planet and maybe blast us off. I don’t think sentiment will let them actually harm us. If there are aliens, what are they going to do? We’ve told our story first.”

The asteroid seemed to leap ahead as all but the most necessary functions were curtailed and additional power was channeled into the drive. There was no sense of motion, merely of tension as the unmistakable vibration increased. In the darkness through the darkness they hurtled. Sleeping or waking Docchi remained near the scanner, as if his presence would somehow cause the ship to recede. It didn’t.

Across the silence the race went on intently. Weeks passed and Anti walked with increased assurance as her weight diminished and her strength grew greater. Maureen recovered and was released from the hospital. She disappeared frequently, mostly with Webber, and no one questioned where they went.

Jeriann came when she could get away from her hospital work. She came at night because it was usually night now though occasionally lights were turned on for short periods and warmth was allowed to filter through the dome. They couldn’t risk killing the plants on which they depended for part of their oxygen supply.

“Good thing you’re here,” said Docchi once when she entered. “I want you to make some adjustments.” She followed him to the next room where the former librarian was now the command unit presiding over their destiny.

“There,” he said gloomily as she changed a number of settings slightly. “That’s as good as I can do.”

“How good is it?”

“Faster than we’ve gone before. I don’t know the exact speed.”

“Faster than with Nona?”

“I think so. Of course I don’t know what she could have gotten out of it if she’d tried--but she always seemed to hold something back.”

She would rather not have asked but the answer was on his face. “But it’s not good enough?”

He sat down near the command unit. “They found out what we were doing and increased their own speed. It’s slightly greater than ours.”

“Well, why do we do it?” she said. “It takes more and more power to add another mile per second as we approach the speed of light. But that holds true for them too.”

He tried to frown away the problem she posed. “Sure, but it doesn’t matter to them as long as they can match anything we do.”

“But they’d just as soon not. They’re inconvenienced the same as we are when they have to divert too much power. They’re better organized and it’s not so bad, but still they have to do without their ordinary comforts. I don’t see any point in tormenting ourselves. Let’s turn on the lights and warm up the place. They’ll do the same when they see it.”

“Maybe they will,” he said grudgingly. He was not going to accept her advice.

She tried again. “Will the scanner reach Earth?”

He shook his head. “Not quite. The range is limited. I can’t give you figures but I estimate we’re well over halfway to the Centauris.” He got up and paced in front of the command unit. “I know what you’re thinking--the appeal to the people of Earth. We tried it once. You know where it got us.”

He had turned and didn’t notice her. “I wasn’t thinking of that at all. I was wondering how close we are. We might get in touch with the aliens.”

He whirled around. “Say that again. Did you really say that?”

“Of course there may not be any aliens,” murmured Jeriann.

“Doesn’t matter, or I don’t think it does. I’ll have to figure it out, but I’m sure it will figure.” His face flashed once. “Get Jordan, will you? I’ll be at the scanner.”

Gravity center was virtually a shaft that extended underground toward the center of the asteroid. At the bottom, shielded and reshielded, sealed off and impregnable, was the nuclear pile. Nearly half way down a horizontal shaft branched off, leading to the gravity coils which were anchored to solid rock.

Much higher, near the surface, were the gravity computers. Physical access to them was equally difficult. There were connections so that electrical impulses could reach them, otherwise the command unit could not have directed them, have taken over the control. But in every other respect they were isolated and remote.

It narrowed Jeriann’s search that there were places she didn’t have to look. Nevertheless she passed him twice, going up and down, before she saw him curled up inconspicuously beside a machine whose function she didn’t know.

“Now what does he want?” grumbled Jordan, rubbing his eyes. “He won’t rest and he won’t let anyone else get a few minutes sleep.”

“He’s hardest on you,” she said. “You’re his hands. He wants you to operate the scanner.”

“Well, his hands are getting mighty tired,” growled Jordan. But his sleepiness disappeared and he followed swiftly after her.

Docchi was standing at the scanner, his face furrowed as if thought alone would move dials. He inclined his head toward the image. “Take the ship off,” he said impatiently. “I’ve hypnotized myself with it. We don’t need to keep staring at it.”

The ship vanished. “Now what?”

“They’ll beat us to the stars. Let them. We don’t have to be first. A planet of our own will do.” Doubt and hope struggled for Docchi’s face and Jeriann couldn’t say which won. “Explore the Centauri system,” he said.

“Both of them?”

“The nearest one first. After that we’ll see.”

A bright star slid to the center of the scanner. It flickered and then grew brighter, blazing out as they visually approached it. They were within a few million miles as the solar prominences lashed out blindingly. Jeriann could feel the heat. For the first time in weeks she was warm. “Cut the focus,” called Docchi. “You’ll burn out the scanner.”

The sun softened and dimmed but remained where it was as the strength of the field was reduced. Jordan awaited instructions.

“Now that I’m sure we can reach it, we’ll get the asteroid back to normal. Later we’ll resume exploration,” said Docchi. He started toward the command unit to make alterations and then saw that, though Jordan was following him, Jeriann wasn’t. “Can’t you stay?” he asked.

She indicated the empty belt. “I used my last absorption capsule.”

She had no right to be happy merely because he was less brusque than usual. On her way home a facsimile of sunshine began blazing down from the dome. The grass was crisp and sere but it would revive.

The race didn’t end because the ship and asteroid were no longer constantly accelerating. Whatever the general thought of it and however he modified his own plans, as far as the accidentals were concerned the emphasis had merely shifted. Exploration. It didn’t matter who got to the system first--it was who found the inhabited or inhabitable planets.

The ship had slightly more speed even when, by mutual consent, both cut the strength of the drive. Slowly it pulled level and then began to creep ahead. But the scanner nullified the advantage. The astronomical equipment of the ship, superior though it was, was not adequate to observe the planets in detail from this distance. Before the ship could locate planets and catalogue the characteristics it would ultimately have to slow down and waste days or weeks searching the specks of light to decide which were worth closer investigation.

With the mass sensitive scanner there was no such problem. Six planets for Alpha and seven for Proxima with, for a while, the possibility that one or two more might be on the far side of the respective suns. Within weeks, relative to the asteroid, much longer for stationary objects, that possibility was eliminated. Six and seven planets there were and no more.

In one respect the scanner wasn’t perfect. Nona was shown where it failed to perform satisfactorily and, after looking it over with mild curiosity, took it completely apart, altering a number of circuits. When she reassembled it again it had exactly the same limitations.

Jordan switched it on and brought the planet in focus. He changed the dial setting and the image blurred, scattering a coruscating rainbow of brilliant light. Once again he patiently adjusted the dials and the planet returned to normal. “That’s as close as we can get,” he said. “I’d estimate about fifty thousand miles out.”

“Try the fourth planet, the Saturn type,” suggested Docchi.

Minus rings but with several satellites a large planet replaced the smaller one they had been looking at. After vainly trying to get closer Jordan gave his opinion. “A hundred and fifty thousand miles from the surface. This thing’s mass sensitive, that’s all--proportional to the mass. It won’t resolve an image close to the surface of a planet. Notice that we couldn’t get nearer than a few million miles of the sun--but we could slide right into a little thing like a ship.”

Reluctantly Docchi nodded. “We’ll have to be satisfied with it as it is. Nevertheless I think it can be made to approach the surface of any mass, even the sun.”

“Nona couldn’t do it,” said Jordan.

Docchi smiled. “I think she’s more interested in her husband at the moment. Besides, what did she have to work with? Odds and ends of parts that really aren’t suited for what they have to do. It would be different if she had an unlimited supply of gravity generating parts, or could get what she needs made to order.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close