The Runaway Skyscraper
Chapter 3

Public Domain

It was very still in the office. Except for the flickering outside everything seemed very much as usual. The electric light burned steadily, but Estelle was sobbing with fright and Arthur was trying vainly to console her.

“Have I gone crazy?” she demanded between her sobs.

“Not unless I’ve gone mad, too,” said Arthur soothingly. The excitement had quite a soothing effect upon him. He had ceased to feel afraid, but was simply waiting to see what had happened. “We’re way back before the founding of New York now, and still going strong.”

“Are you sure that’s what has happened?”

“If you’ll look outside,” he suggested, “you’ll see the seasons following each other in reverse order. One moment the snow covers all the ground, then you catch a glimpse of autumn foliage, then summer follows, and next spring.”

Estelle glanced out of the window and covered her eyes.

“Not a house,” she said despairingly. “Not a building. Nothing, nothing, nothing!”

Arthur slipped, his arm about her and patted hers comfortingly.

“It’s all right,” he reassured her. “We’ll bring up presently, and there we’ll be. There’s nothing to be afraid of.”

She rested her head on his shoulder and sobbed hopelessly for a little while longer, but presently quieted. Then, suddenly, realizing that Arthur’s arm was about her and that she was crying on his shoulder, she sprang away, blushing crimson.

Arthur walked to the window.

“Look there!” he exclaimed, but it was too late. “I’ll swear to it I saw the Half Moon, Hudson’s ship,” he declared excitedly. “We’re way back now, and don’t seem to be slacking up, either.”

Estelle came to the window by his side. The rapidly changing scene before her made her gasp. It was no longer possible to distinguish night from day.

A wavering streak, moving first to the right and then to the left, showed where the sun flashed across the sky.

“What makes the sun wabble so?” she asked.

“Moving north and south of the equator,” Arthur explained casually. “When it’s farthest south--to the left--there’s always snow on the ground. When it’s farthest right it’s summer. See how green it is?”

A few moments’ observation corroborated his statement.

“I’d say,” Arthur remarked reflectively, “that it takes about fifteen seconds for the sun to make the round trip from farthest north to farthest south.” He felt his pulse. “Do you know the normal rate of the heart-beat? We can judge time that way. A clock will go all to pieces, of course.”

“Why did your watch explode--and the clock?”

“Running forward in time unwinds a clock, doesn’t it?” asked Arthur. “It follows, of course, that when you move it backward in time it winds up. When you move it too far back, you wind it so tightly that the spring just breaks to pieces.”

He paused a moment, his fingers on his pulse.

“Yes, it takes about fifteen seconds for all the four seasons to pass. That means we’re going backward in time about four years a minute. If we go on at this rate another hour we’ll be back in the time of the Northmen, and will be able to tell if they did discover America, after all.”

“Funny we don’t hear any noises,” Estelle observed. She had caught some of Arthur’s calmness.

“It passes so quickly that though our ears hear it, we don’t separate the sounds. If you’ll notice, you do hear a sort of humming. It’s very high-pitched, though.”

Estelle listened, but could hear nothing.

“No matter,” said Arthur. “It’s probably a little higher than your ears will catch. Lots of people can’t hear a bat squeak.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close