Normalcy Is Harder Than It Looks
18: Dinner with the Potential In-Laws

Copyright© 2017 by Vincent Berg

Well, my meeting with Chalise’s father was drawing nigh. I’d been anxious about it for a while, but now it was approaching. I figured I was pretty safe, as it wasn’t likely he’d try anything in a crowded restaurant, but I didn’t expect it to be a fun-filled evening either.

Cate seemed to have finally revived the girls from their shock over hearing Cate’s bad news about my future health. I don’t know what she told them, but they seemed to get it together so I wasn’t so worried about them anymore. In school I was friendly and showed interest in everyone, focusing more on the people in the school than on the various fights or ongoing conflicts and certainly more than in the simplistic schoolwork. Suddenly those things just didn’t seem to be as important anymore. If I only had a limited time, I was going to focus on the living, the people in my life. The negatives and the things you put up with because you have to, just didn’t interest me anymore. Everyone was pleased to have me so actively engaged when I was usually half occupied contemplating how everyone was relating. The girls all flirted, Alex flirted—with both the girls and me—and we all had fun. That didn’t stop the glares I continued to attract, though.

Luckily not much happened in school to distract me during the day. After dropping Kitty and Chalise off, I came back home, did my homework, then ran out early enough to see Adrian once more. I guess everyone saw just how distracted I was, so they left me to my own musings.

Finally we were sitting at the bar waiting for Rodger to arrive. I’d selected l’Oignon Pleurer to meet because the waiters knew me and would give us a little leeway in case any unpleasant situations occurred. I made sure Chalise and her mother met me early just to check their nerves and to review everything before the family officially met again. While I had planned to have Kitty here for this, the last minute suggestion to have us all drive to St. Louis this weekend might have put that in doubt. I hadn’t heard whether she was showing up, so I was a little doubtful. No doubt Kitty was trying to convince her father an overnight trip with me wasn’t a terrible idea, and hearing she was also meeting with her girlfriend’s father as well might have pushed Fredrick over the edge. Not being able to offer a united front was likely to significantly change the message I wanted to convey. I wasn’t sure whether I’d even broach the subject of our little threesome if she couldn’t be here. You can hardly argue how mature and balanced the relationship is when one of us doesn’t even bother to show up.

Chalise was noticeably nervous, knowing her father’s temper, his dislike of me, and his apparent disregard of her, all contributed to her bad feelings about tonight. Caroline was a little better, but was still highly doubtful. When we arranged this I hadn’t specified who should attend, so I didn’t know whether there would be one person who severely disliked me or several, but I figured Rodger would be cutting his own throat if he brought his sons with him while he was trying to entice his wife and daughter to come home. You can hardly talk honestly to a spouse when other children are present, but then you never know what goes through a person’s head. Anything could happen and nothing was likely to surprise me tonight.

Both women looked beautiful. Chalise had selected the perfect outfit for tonight. She had on a dress which looked wonderful but still didn’t reveal too much. She also wore a really attractive silver necklace which really caught my attention. It was a tiny figurine, so small you hardly noticed it, but it was of a naked woman riding on the face of the man in the moon. If you knew to look for it, it was kind of racy, but if you didn’t pay attention to it, it was likely to escape your notice. I reminded myself to compliment her on it when we had some privacy.

Caroline was already on her second glass of wine, which again made me, a non-drinker, nervous. I mentioned this to her, and stressed she wanted to remain calm and collected. She told me I was right, but said it in such a way I wondered whether it would make any difference in her behavior tonight. Chalise and I were having regular drinks; a soda for her, just plain water for me.

“You know, Alex, there’s a lot riding on this meeting, and much of it involves you,” Caroline told me. “While Rodger isn’t very fond of you, we insisted if he was going to get us back he’d have to learn to deal with you. You’ve become a very big part of our lives. From your involvement in Chalise’s life, to what you’ve done with Darrell, to helping us when we needed a place to stay, we owe you a lot. So don’t get upset if we come on a little strong concerning you. We want him to get over his anger at you. It’s the only way we’ll be able to get beyond this impasse. I’m not about to go back to Rodger if I have to leave my daughter behind, and she’s not about to leave you to go back to a home she’s not even a part of.”

I told her I understood the sentiment, but was hoping to smooth things over. I knew Rodger was angry at me, and thought that would provide a substantial roadblock between them. But she stressed that if he couldn’t accept my presence in their lives, then they wouldn’t be returning to his life.

I spotted Rodger entering the restaurant and waved to him while getting the women organized. He took a bit to respond, so the women and I met him in the entryway. Luckily he was alone, and the look he gave me wasn’t very welcoming, but he gave his wife a hesitant hug and a brief kiss, and asked Chalise how she was getting along. I didn’t know if she meant to convey a message or just wanted to piss him off, but she immediately sidled up to me and put her arm around me. I welcomed him and offered him my hand in greeting, but he simply looked at it then at me. I was preparing to simply retract my proffered hand when Caroline sharply rebuked her husband with a harshly whispered “Rodger!”, and he finally reached out and took my hand. He then tried to grind my hand into dust. I had pretty much expected such a response, so at least I wasn’t caught unprepared, but he was a large man while I was a, well, basically just a skinny kid. I tried to give as good as I got but didn’t succeed very well. At least I managed to avoid grimacing or revealing just how much he was hurting me. After another quick reprimand from Caroline he reluctantly let go.

While trying to rub some feeling back into my poor hand I walked us all up to the maître d’ and announced we were ready, when I heard someone calling from behind us. When I turned I saw Darrell, smiling as he hugged his surprised mother, kissed his sister’s cheek and shook his father’s hand. I was surprised to see him here and couldn’t help myself when I wondered who he was here to support, and who he was here to fight. However I quickly shook that thought off. He was here to try to support his family. That’s all.

“Thought I’d surprise you. Dad didn’t bother to mention this little dinner, but I didn’t want an oversight like that keeping us from getting together. Hey, Alex,” he called as he not only shook my hand, but threw an arm over my shoulder and gave me a quick man hug. “Did Dad try to crush your hand? That’s an old trick of his. Should of warned you but, I ... wasn’t quite invited,” he laughed.

Once I’d revised my estimate of the party size I led everyone into the dining room, escorting Chalise. I briefly considered Darrell’s appearance and wondered at his motivations, but I simply concluded that he, like the rest of my lunchtime crowd, was now a part of my movement, and that he wasn’t likely to make anything worse by being here.

When we got to the table I pulled out Chalise’s chair for her, and Rodger just kind of growled at me and plopped down in his seat. Caroline glared at his lack of similar appreciative gesture, but it was lost on him. When I finished pushing Chalise into the table I immediately moved over and offered the same service to Caroline. She smiled graciously, mentioned how it was nice how some people hadn’t forgotten the act of civility and thanked me.

As I was seating myself I was distracted by some motion, as I usually make it a habit to sit facing the dinner room, a simple matter of maintaining a bit of control since I was often subjected to unusual interruptions, and glanced up just in time to catch Kitty rushing up to me. To say I was surprised is an understatement. She threw her arms around me and gave me a happy kiss on the lips.

“Sorry I’m so late, guys, but I had a bit of trouble getting out of the house tonight. So, where’s my seat? Alex, you wouldn’t leave a poor girl without her seat, would you?” I quickly overcame my stupor and offered her mine, managing to snag one from another table. When I returned with it Kitty was still standing, but was beside Chalise, holding her hand and chatting gaily. I wondered whether she’d bestowed the same kind of kiss on her. It would’ve been fun to watch Rodger’s response to that. As it was he was glaring at her just as he had at me a short while ago.

Despite the many distractions this evening, my attention was caught by her unusual new jewelry as well. She wore a small silver figurine too, although hers was of a naked man standing between two naked women. The piece was tiny but exquisite and very detailed, and I wondered where both girls had managed to find such unique fashion accessories. Their other jewelry and makeup was quite attractive, but those two items just grabbed my attention, mainly because they left little doubt where we all stood as a threesome. However I had to quickly focus on more important topics.

As I held the chair for Kitty, Rodger started up.

“Excuse me, Miss, but I believe this is a private matter between—”

“Oh, I know,” she said, as she again gave me a quick peck before sitting down. “That’s why I’m so embarrassed at being so late. I know Alex and Chalise would have been disappointed if I couldn’t be here. So, I take it you’re Mr. Jones, Chalise and Darrell’s dad, right?” she asked, leading to me quickly making introductions all around.

“This is my girlfriend, Kitty Washerstein,” I told Rodger without any embellishment. His eyebrows shot up. “Part of what we wanted to explain to you this evening is that Chalise and I have a unique three way relationship with Kitty.”

Rodger started to sit up, obviously preparing to say something when Darrell headed him off at the pass.

“Good evening, Kitty,” Darrell told her. “It’s good to see you again, and I just wanted to thank you again for putting up with the trouble I caused you at school. I guess it was a holdover of my previous behaviors, although that’s really no excuse.” I knew they’d worked everything out earlier, so I figured this was mostly staged for Rodger’s benefit.

“Oh, don’t worry, it was nothing. Things are always awkward when a flickering relationship dies out. I’m just glad we’re still friends and there are no hard feelings between any of us. Oh, and Mrs. Jones, I just love what you’ve done with your hair.” I could immediately tell from the way his eyes reacted that Rodger hadn’t even noticed anything different about her, despite her being gone for so long, and Caroline positively beamed at the remark.

“Why thank you, Kitty, it’s so very nice to see you again. I always hear so much about you from my daughter, but we really never see nearly enough of you,” she gushed. “It seems since you’re at the other end of Alex’s daily trip you never get a chance to stop by.” Rodger’s head was starting to flip back and forth trying to figure out everyone’s relationship.

“Anyway, Mr. Jones,” I told him, “I just wanted to tell you that, despite being unusual, the relationship I’m in with Kitty and Chalise is serious and I care deeply for them both, so I have no plans on hurting your daughter. We are all committed to each other, though you know how fickle odd numbered relationships are. We hope we’ll be able to last a little while, but only time will tell,” I explained, hoping to give him a glimmer of hope to hold on to.

Though we’d manage to catch him with a series of surprises, Rodger was starting to recover and he clearly had a few things to say. But now he was looking at Kitty instead of me.

“You and my daughter are ... are... ?” he sputtered.

“Oh, we fool around but not like you’re thinking,” Kitty responded. “We’re mainly focused on Alex. He’s the one who brought us together. Well, that’s not quite correct,” she commented, bringing her finger to her chin to consider for a second. “It was actually Darrell who got Alex to get us together. He was the one who instigated this whole affair,” she finished sweetly. Rodger’s head swiveled in Darrell’s direction, but Darrell seemed to be ready for him with a few more surprises.

“It’s true,” Darrell quite happily responded, clearly surprising his father. “I’d just finished threatening Alex, telling him to leave Kitty alone in that boorish way I was so used to behaving in, when Alex calmly told me he’d date whomever he wanted, then asked me about my sister. I told him all about her and he was ever so nice. Not only did he ask her out, but he also asked Kitty to give me a second chance. Well, we dated for a bit, but it was soon apparent I didn’t stand much of a chance. She’s just so damn taken with the little scamp. That’s why we broke up, though I’m certainly glad to see she doesn’t bear me any ill will over it. Alex was quite upset I’d broken things off so abruptly,” he rambled on, inventing his own version of events for his father. He seemed to be relishing playing this new role of social sophisticate.

“Anyway, yes, your daughter and I share Alex’s love, and that sometimes involves a little playing around of our own. We haven’t taken it much farther than that yet, but you never know how these things will turn out,” Kitty brought the conversation back, twisting the knife a little deeper in Rodger’s gut. He sat wordlessly for a few moments, clearly thinking of his response, though I suspect he was more confused by Caroline and Darrell’s attitude than he was by Kitty’s statements.

I knew this was a lot for Rodger to take all at once. We invited him here so he could demonstrate he wasn’t going to strangle me, and then I toss this little grenade to him, acting like it wasn’t anything unusual. Then both Caroline and Darrell play along, keeping him off balance and reeling. I thought it was a bit unfair and actually felt sorry for him. After all, my own father has recently been shocked by Cate and my relationship, and he’d had plenty of prior warning. Rodger had had almost none. What I’d done was bad enough, but this was all a bit too much. They were dumping on him faster than he could respond, and he didn’t have time to deal with it. I couldn’t see this ending well at all.

“And I for one would like to welcome you into our family,” Caroline happily proclaimed, not giving her husband any time to deal with what was happening. “I haven’t said that yet and I apologize, but I sincerely feel that way. I know these early romances rarely last very long, given the changes young people go through in high school and college, but you’ll always have a special little place in our hearts. Assuming you don’t break my dear daughter’s heart, of course,” she laughed gaily at her little jest.

“So, Alex,” Darrell asked, changing the topic once again, “that dinner you threw for all of us from school yesterday was really nice. You’ll have to invite me over again sometime. Your girls are all delightful, and it’s not often we get an offer to a genuine Vietnamese dinner prepared by a New Orleans Cajun cook.”

“Sure, Darrell,” I offered, again in friendly greeting. “I’m sure the whole family would be glad to have you over. And just in case your father’s not a fan of various ethnic dishes, you and your mother are always invited over any time,” I told him, making it clear his wife and daughter had their own life without him.

“You knew about Chalise and... ?” Rodger asked his wife, clearly several minutes behind the conversation. But I think he was actually more shocked that Caroline would condone such behavior so cavalierly.

“Rodger, there’s a lot you miss out on when you ignore your family,” Caroline patiently explained to him, as if he was a wayward child. “Chalise has been quite grown up for some time now, something you seem to have overlooked, just like you’ve overlooked her for most of her life. We both have been getting along quite well without you. I think she’s perfectly capable of handling this relationship, even if it isn’t your standard romance. In fact, I think she’ll handle it quite well even if it doesn’t turn out perfectly. She’s grown a lot recently, and I think you have Alex to thank for that. He’s helped her mature and expanded her views of the world.”

“That’s true, I—” Chalise tried to reply before her father cut her off.

“My daughter’s a lesbian whore?” Rodger asked his wife, as if the thought had suddenly just popped up out of nowhere. I started to take offense and began rising from my seat when Kitty held her hand against my chest, hoping to keep me in place.

“Not yet, Alex,” she warned me before turning to address Rodger. “No, that’s not true in either regard,” she calmly explained to him. “She’s clearly not a lesbian, but it’s just rude to be in bed with two other people without showing a little reciprocal attention. Besides, your daughter is a very cute, intelligent and personable young woman, which you’d appreciate if you ever spent any time with her.

“As for the other derogatory word you chose to describe her, nothing could be farther from the truth. Unlike her other siblings, she hasn’t engaged in reckless, meaningless sexual encounters with a string of questionable characters. No offense, Darrell,” she calmly offered Chalise’s brother.

“No offense taken, I know the truth when I hear it,” he responded politely.

“She’s involved with a young man and her best friend. I’ve never seen her fooling around with anyone else, nor flirting recklessly or behaving poorly. However you might want to examine your own behavior. You’ve raised each of your sons to treat women as mere objects to be taken advantage of, and ignored whenever it doesn’t suit them. You treat your own wife and daughter as you’d treat a common whore, without much care or consideration whatsoever. About the only thing you extend to them is a roof over their heads and some food to eat, but little else. Alex seems to be unique in that he offers many people a new vision of the world, not just us. There’s a growing crowd who want to be around him and enjoy his view of life, his philosophy, and his perception of us as unique human beings. You’d do well to try to emulate him, Mr. Jones. Now I think it’s time we allowed this poor waiter, whose been patiently waiting, to serve us. Chalise, will you be having your usual?” she concluded.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close