Space Station 1 - Cover

Space Station 1

Public Domain

Chapter 15

Corriston sat very straight and still in the darkness, his back against cold metal, his eyes on the distant glow of the heating lamp. He could see the lamp through a wide panel opening in the bulkhead directly opposite him. Wherever his eyes fell there was the glimmer of light on metal. But the warmth of the lamp would have left him close to freezing had it not been supplemented by the heating units inside his heavy clothing.

He didn’t know how he was going to free himself. His hands were securely handcuffed and the sharp metal was biting into his flesh. Turning and twisting about did him no good at all.

He didn’t know how he was going to free himself, but he refused to give up hope. There had to be a way.

You could begin on one of your captors, on a human being with a great deal to lose or gain. You could try to penetrate his armor, sound out his human weaknesses. Or you could set to work on the handcuffs at your wrists, struggling in an almost hopeless attempt to draw your hands through them in some way or get them unlocked without a key.

He decided to try the first way. He raised his voice. “Stone?” he called out. “Can you hear me?”

There ensued a silence. Then Stone’s voice came back loud and clear. “Sure, I can hear you. What do you want?”

“I’d like to talk to you,” Corriston said.

“About what?”

“About you. What are you getting out of this? You’ve nothing to lose by being frank with me. Henley would never believe anything I might say.”

“You’re right about that,” Stone said. “But why should I talk to you? I’ll tell you something that may surprise you. Keeping you alive was Henley’s idea. He figured we might need you. He figured that if Ramsey wouldn’t listen to us he might listen to you--a Space Station officer. He figured we might need you to convince Ramsey we’re not bluffing. Someone who knows we’re not bluffing. Someone who knows we’d kill his daughter before we gave him a third chance to make up his mind and hand over the dough.”

“A third chance? I thought--”

“You think too much, Corriston. I’ll spell it out for you. Henley is on his way now to give Ramsey his first chance. He may succeed or he may not. If he doesn’t succeed he’ll come back and take you to the fortress with him. That will be Ramsey’s second chance. He won’t get a third.”

“I see,” Corriston said. “But I asked you a question you didn’t answer. How much do you stand to get out of this? What is your split, your percentage? Don’t tell me; I’ll guess. Henley is promising you fifteen or twenty thousand dollars. But how much ransom do you think he’ll get from Ramsey? Two million, at least. Possibly twenty million. Does that kind of split satisfy you, Stone? Remember, when that ransom is paid, every law enforcement agency on Earth goes into operation. It starts off in a quiet suite of offices, with just one owl-faced little guy shuffling some papers.

“It starts off that way, but in the space of one hour you’re a man marked for destruction. The military goes into action. From Earth to Mars your photograph is televised. Ten thousand trained experts are thrown into the operation. You’ve suddenly become important, an accessory to the kidnapping of the wealthiest girl on Earth.

“How does that set with you, Stone? They’ll get you in the end. No, I’ll qualify that. They’ll get you unless Ramsey gives you a split of at least a million dollars. With a million dollars you’d have a one in five chance of covering your tracks, of hiding out indefinitely. But Ramsey won’t give you anything like that kind of a split. You know that as well as I do. He’ll have to cover his own tracks and he’ll need all of the two million--or twenty million--for himself. Or most of it.

“I’m not telling you anything you don’t know. Your real interest lies in preventing that kidnapping before it’s too late. He’s getting ready to double-cross you, Stone. It was in the back of his mind all the time. He’s looking out only for himself.”

“I don’t think so,” Stone said. “My split, since you brought the matter up, is half a million. He’s demanding six million in ransom. That’s twelve times what I’m getting and what Jim Saddler is getting. But I’ve no complaints. He organized and planned everything.

“I’ll be honest with you. That doesn’t mean a damn thing to me. I’m no good when it comes to taking a risk like that, but does that mean he’s better than I am? Do you think I’d string along with him if I believed that for a moment?

“Hell, no. I’m using him, don’t you see? I’m letting him take the big gamble, and I stay in the background ... doing practically nothing. So if I clear a half million, what have I to complain about?”

“Nothing, I suppose,” Corriston said.

“You’re damned right. But I don’t think I like the way you said that. There’s something in your voice that I don’t like.”

“That’s too bad,” Corriston said.

“Maybe you think I don’t mean what I said. Is that it?”

Corriston tightened his lips. He could hear Stone’s footsteps coming toward him through the darkness. They were heavy steps, advancing slowly, with a slight shuffling sound. They paused twice and then came on again, and the silence between pauses seemed almost crushingly thick.

Corriston suddenly realized that he knew almost nothing about Stone. He had taken the man pretty much for granted, a killer’s accomplice without much personality, a sullen-faced scoundrel who was good at obeying orders and standing ready to silence anyone Henley disliked with a well-placed kick in the head.

But what if he did have personality after all? Suppose there were hidden depths in him, a hidden reservoir of malice which he kept concealed until he felt a mad impulse to start laughing or bragging or proving to someone he disliked that he was as potentially dangerous as Henley--perhaps even more dangerous. And suppose he decided to back up his boasting with a quick knife thrust or a gun blast at almost point-blank range?

It wasn’t a pleasant thought, and the flicker of a match between Stone’s cupped hands did nothing to dispel Corriston’s uneasiness. The small, bright flame brought Stone’s features into sharp relief for an instant. The lips had an ugly set to them, and the eyes were slitted, gleaming. He was making no effort to keep his hate from showing, and the instant the match went out he lit another.

He seemed to be advancing slowly on purpose, as if aware that his stealth and deliberation had begun to un-nerve Corriston. Corriston felt himself stiffening, moving more closely back against the wall. Breathing quickly, he told himself that he hadn’t much time, that he must be careful not to overreach himself.

There was another moment of silence, of stillness, while the shuffling ceased. Then Stone was very close in the darkness, his hands cupped about a third match, a mocking smile on his lips.

It was a blunder on his part. Before he could move again Corriston was upon him.

There are times when a handcuffed man is at a disadvantage in a furiously waged and uncertain struggle, but Corriston suffered no disadvantage. For ten minutes he had been reminding himself that a blow along the side of the neck, just under the jaw, could paralyze and even kill if it were delivered with sufficient force.

A sharp, flat-of-the-hand blow could do it. But handcuffs were better, and Corriston lashed out now with his manacled wrists upraised, so that the handcuffs grazed Stone’s neck twice lightly and then almost splintered his jawbone with a rotor-blade violence.

The blow not only stunned Stone, it lifted him clear of the deck. He staggered forward and fell heavily, his breath leaving his lungs in an agonizing sob.

Corriston leaned back against the wall again for an instant, breathing heavily. Then he knelt beside Stone and went through his pockets until he found the handcuff key. It was difficult. He had to do a lot of awkward fumbling with his fingers, and even with the key in his possession, getting the cuffs off was far from easy. But somehow he managed it, perhaps because he had unusually flexible fingers and knew that if he failed, Stone would see to it that he got no second chance this side of eternity.

He stood very straight and still in the darkness, his eyes focused on Stone’s white face. There was no need for him to strike a match. He had taken from Stone not only the key, but a small pocket flashlight which Stone had apparently preferred not to use.

There was something else he had taken from Stone--his gun. He held the weapon now, very firmly centered on Stone, while he waited for him to come to.

Ordinarily he wouldn’t have cared if Stone had never opened his eyes again; but now he had to wait and see. The ship was so large that to explore it compartment by compartment until he found the one in which Helen Ramsey was being held prisoner would be dangerously time-consuming. So, if Stone recovered consciousness within fifteen or twenty minutes and could tell him, so much the better.

If not, better wait and see. He waited, shifting his gun only a little from weariness as the minutes dragged on, wondering if he had not made a mistake in waiting at all.

Finally Stone stirred and groaned. Corriston bent and shook him by the shoulders. He took firm hold of his shoulders and shook him vigorously, feeling no pity for him at all.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close