The Lani People
Chapter XVI

Public Domain

“If you think this job is easy, you have another think coming,” Kennon said bitterly. “I hired out as a veterinarian, not as a nursemaid for a bunch of psychoneurotic humans and superstitious Lani. The place is jinxed, they tell me.--Ha! Jinxed! Sure it’s jinxed! What job wouldn’t be with a bunch of goofballs like these I’ve got working on it.

“I can’t keep a Lani here for two weeks without having her throw a catfit, and the superstitious idiots are affecting the men--who ought to know better! I wish I’d never have opened my big mouth to Alexander! As far as I’m concerned he can take this job and--”

“Hey--take it easy, man!” Blalok said. “You’re heading straight for a nervous breakdown.”

“And why shouldn’t I?” Kennon asked. “Nothing goes right. There’s always trouble. I order materials--they don’t arrive. There’s worker trouble, equipment trouble, installation trouble. Everybody’s cutting corners, trying to get done faster and away sooner--and all they do is mess up work that should have been done right the first time. We should have been finished last week, but we have another week to go, at least unless some bumble-fingered beanbrain gets another bright idea that sets us back again. I’m sick to death of it!”

“I know, I know,” Blalok said soothingly, “and I’m sorry.”

“Sorry? What good is that? You and Jordan come up here in relays. Just what do you think you’ll find? Or has Alexander dragged you into keeping an eye on me because I don’t like someone snooping inside my skull?”

“It’s not that,” Blalok said. “It’s just--”

“Oh, don’t make excuses. You know and I know the Boss-man is suspicious.” Kennon shrugged. “Normally I wouldn’t blame him but it’s a damned nuisance with things the way they are. All we have is one more bay and a hall to finish--but if--”

“Now wait a minute,” Blalok said. “Get the kink out of your neck and simmer down. Sure--the Boss-man told us to keep an eye on you--but that’s not why I’m here this time.”

“Well?”

“Douglas came back this morning.”

“What for?”

“I don’t know.” Blalok’s face wore the noncommittal look it always wore when he was taking liberties with the truth.

“You’re probably the worst liar in the galaxy,” Kennon chuckled. “He’s here to breathe down my neck, isn’t he?”

Blalok nodded.

“Keep him off my back for another week and he can breathe all he wants to. I’ll be done then.”

“I can’t promise a thing.”

Kennon shrugged. “It’s too much to ask, I guess.”

“But I can try,” Blalok added.

“That’s enough for me.” Kennon grinned. “Has he turned Alexandria into a shambles yet?”

“Not yet, but everyone’s uneasy.”

“I can’t blame them. That young fellow’s undiluted poison. By the way, how does he look?”

“About the same.”

“The medics must have done a good job,” Kennon said.

“The Boss-man shipped him to Beta for treatment,” Blalok said. “He didn’t trust the docs out here.”

“That figures. At any rate Douglas couldn’t have gone to a better place.”

“What happened to him?”

“He stuck his nose where he shouldn’t,” Kennon said pointedly.

Blalok stiffened.

“I’m sorry, Evald. Even if you knew, I couldn’t talk about it. What I know about Douglas is classified!”

“Well--Douglas is doing plenty of talking. Claims his stay in the hospital was all your fault.”

Kennon shrugged. “That’s his opinion. And as long as he stays out of my way he’s welcome to it.”

Blalok looked at Kennon’s haggard face with mild concern, “Doc,” he said, “you’d better take it easy. You’re going to pieces.”

“I’ll be through here in another week, I’ll have this all wrapped up.”

“Providing you’re not wrapped up first.”

“Eh?”

“In a shroud. You look like a walking corpse.”

Kennon chuckled wearily. “Sometimes I feel like one. But I’d like to get this job finished.”

“Well, I’ll do what I can,” Blalok said. “I’ll try to keep him down at Alexandria for a few days.”

“It’ll be enough,” Kennon said. More than enough--he added mentally. The coils of fuel wire were ready to load, and the power slugs for the ship’s reactor were already stored in the power plant building here at Olympus. Three more days and the old spacer would be as ready to fly as she would ever be. And after that, it was in the lap of fate.

He ushered Blalok to his jeep and watched until he disappeared.

“I’m getting to be a first-class liar,” he remarked wryly to himself as he turned back to the temporary quarters he was occupying at the station. “And the bad thing about it is that I’m actually enjoying it.”

A few weeks ago an admission like that would have been inconceivable. It was odd, he thought, how one thing led to another and produced an end that could not be foreseen. Now he could lie and dissemble with the best. He had no compunction about falsifying a requisition, or stealing what he could not obtain with apparent honesty. His character had sunk to an all-time low, he reflected with grim humor as he walked into the shadow of the main building. Neither Blalok’s nor Jordan’s frequent visits bothered him. Both men were creatures of habit and both were married. They stayed home at night--and it was nighttime that he worked on the spacer. The project afforded him a perfect cover and it was only minutes by jeep away from the crater.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close