The Lani People - Cover

The Lani People

Public Domain

Chapter XIX

“What are you going to do with that girl?” Brainard asked.

“Formalize our mating as soon as she is able to get out of bed,” Kennon replied.

“She is an ignorant, untrained savage!” Brainard protested. “You should hear the stories the nurses tell about her!”

Kennon chuckled. “You don’t have to tell me about those. I’ve lived with Lani for two years. But she’s not stupid.”

“What are your plans?”

“After we establish her humanity legally,” Kennon said, “I’m going to send her to school.”

“For twenty years?”

“If necessary. But I don’t think it will take that long. She has some schooling.”

“But no training--and what of the Lani in the meantime?”

“I have plans for that. I’m going back to Kardon and give Alexander a chance to make restitution. I think he is an honorable man. Slavery may be as revolting to him as it is to any civilized human. He deserves a chance to rectify his grandfather’s error.”

“That is reasonable--and in the best traditions of the Brotherhood.”

“Furthermore, it’s practical,” Kennon said. “Alexander is the only one fully qualified to handle the problems of enfranchisement. He’s known the Lani all his life, and he is an executive type. A Brotherhood committee would probably botch the whole affair. What with colonial jurisdiction, territorial rights, and all the legal quibbling that committees love, the Lani would get a poor deal. And there’s no reason to wreck the lives of a couple of hundred million Kardonians because the rightful owners of Kardon were illegally enslaved. That happened too long ago to have any practical meaning. There are other and better solutions.”

“What?”

“How should I know?” Kennon asked. “But I’m sure Alexander will. That’s his field.”

“All you have to worry about is whether he’ll co-operate,” Brainard said.

“He’ll co-operate once he knows the score,” Kennon said confidently. “And he’ll have to make some form of restitution. But it shouldn’t involve Kardon. Actually the Lani were never in a position to develop that world. They’d probably have remained on Flora indefinitely. The old court records showed no tendency for their culture to expand. They were an inbred group, a static, balanced society in harmony with their environment. In nearly thirty-five hundred years their numbers increased only to a few thousand. Actually there is a good possibility that the race would ultimately have died out if Old Alexander hadn’t enslaved them and instituted a controlled breeding program. There are more Lani alive today than there were at the height of their power. So in a way Old Alexander did them a favor. He kept their race alive. All we can expect is a fair and just settlement.”

“But if Alexander doesn’t co-operate?”

“That’s where you come in. You’ll be a watchdog. If you don’t receive annual progress reports from me--and see or talk to me personally every second year, you are released from our bond and can do what you wish with the evidence I’ve accumulated.”

“We’d better get this into Private Record,” Brainard said. “We can transcribe an agreement and place it in the Public Repository.”

“A good idea and we’d better waste no time. Alexander might still be looking for me--and if he is, it’s merely a question of time before he catches up.”

“Ten years have passed. It’s doubtful. But we could keep you here at the Center.”

Kennon shook his head. “Too dangerous. And besides it would compromise you. No--we’ll get everything possible done to make the Lani’s case airtight, and then I’ll return to Kardon. It will put our case in a better light if it ever comes to trial, if I go back voluntarily. Anyway--I’m morally bound to return. Now let’s make this record.”

“It’s your decision,” Brainard said. “And it’s your neck--but I must admit that I agree with you.”

“I’ll feel safer when we get the legal details clarified,” Kennon said.

“And what of the girl?”

“Can you take care of her if I have to leave quickly?”

“Of course. I’ll give her personal attention, and after she has her child I’ll see that she is sent to you.”

“That’s decent of you, Doctor.”

“It’s my moral responsibility,” Brainard said as he slipped a new tape into the recorder.


Copper responded quickly to rest and therapy. The space shock cleared up quickly. The gerontological treatments put her to bed again, but within a month she was completely normal, and her lifespan was now that of a normal human. She could look forward to some four hundred years with Kennon--and the prospect was not unpleasant. The Center fascinated her. Never before had she seen a hospital devoted to the care and treatment of humans. It was a far cry, in its polished steel and stone magnificence, from the tiny primitive structure over which Kennon had presided. Yet both places served the same purpose. Perhaps Kennon was right--that there was no difference between man and Lani. The idea was not nearly as unbelievable as it was at first.

“I never realized what it meant to be human,” Copper said as she held Kennon’s hand. “It is nice to feel important and to know that our child is a member of the race that rules the galaxy.”

“So you’re convinced?” Kennon chuckled.

“The serological identity--” she began.

“Hmm. You’ve been getting some education, I see.”

“Well,” Copper smiled, “I didn’t think you wanted a stupid woman. I can read--and since you are around so seldom nowadays, there is little else to do. I’ve been reading history, medicine, and novels,” she finished proudly.

“A fine catholic selection,” Kennon said, “Now if you add mathematics, sociology, and philosophy you’ll have a well-rounded basic education.”

“Dr. Brainard has been trying something he calls ‘hypno.’ He says it will help me learn faster. But I can’t see that it’s done much good.”

“You won’t until you need the information,” Kennon said.

“That technique is only good for implanting basic knowledge, and much of that will merely supplement or complete that which you already have. You won’t be conscious of it.”

“Oh--I think I see what you mean.”

“Of course, you’ll have to continue your formal education. There’s a great deal for you to learn. It should keep you busy while I’m away.”

“Away? Where are you going?”

“Back to Kardon.”

“But you can’t! Alexander will destroy you.”

“I think not. After all, ten years have elapsed since we left there and he’s had plenty of time to think. Douglas must have told him about us. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has already done something about your people.”

She shivered. “He might--but the question is what would he do? He could have killed them all!”

Kennon shook his head. “I don’t think so. He never struck me as a mass murderer.”

She shook her head. “You don’t know the Alexanders like I do. I was raised by them. They’re capable of anything. But what is this business of ten years? That’s silly. I haven’t had my child yet--and it doesn’t take ten years of pregnancy to produce a baby.”

“It’s the difference between subjective and objective time,” Kennon said. “We traveled here through hyperspace--low Cth--in an uncompensated ship, and there is little temporal flow in the levels below the blue.”

“Oh--of course.”

Kennon chuckled. “That would have been Greek to you a couple of weeks ago. See where that basic data fits?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close