Eight Keys to Eden - Cover

Eight Keys to Eden

Public Domain

Chapter 13

It was one day around noon.

Jed Dawkins had come in early from his experimental field to get his dinner, well, city folks would call it lunch, and so he’d be ready afterwards for a talk with the colony committee. He’d eaten his lunch, all right, a good one. There was never any scarcity of food on Eden. Always plenty, and wide variety. If anything, a man ate too much and didn’t have to work hard enough to get it. That was the main thing that had been wrong with Eden, right from the start. Man was ordained to earn his bread by the sweat of his brow, and there’s no reason to sweat for it on Eden.

He was lying on the hammock that was stretched between two big trees in the front yard of his house. The house was set a little way off from the rest of the village, oh maybe five hundred yards more or less, not so far he couldn’t be handy when he was needed by the colony, but still far enough to give a man some space.

The domestic sound of rattled pots and pans came from the kitchen window where his wife Martha was washing up after dinner. It was a drowsy, peaceful time. Honeybees they’d brought from Earth were buzzing the flowers Martha had planted all around. A bird was singing up in the trees above him. A man ought to be pretty contented with a life like that, he remembered telling himself. Ought to be.

He felt like taking a nap, but made himself keep awake because the committee was coming right over, and he didn’t want to wake up all groggy, the way a man does when he sleeps in the daytime. Couldn’t afford to be groggy because the committee was all set up to scrap out something that was splitting the colony right down the middle.

He remembered looking out at the fields where the grains and vegetables were growing, thinking how easy it was to farm here--plenty of rain, plenty of sun, no storms to flatten and ruin the crops, not even enough insect pests to worry a man. He looked out at the fenced pastures where the colony’s community stock grazed.

The horses had eaten their fill and were ambling up from the drinking pond, getting ready to take a siesta of their own in the shade of some trees at the corner of their pasture. The cows were already lying down in a grove of trees and were sleepily chewing their cuds. The green grass around them was so tall he could barely see their heads and backs.

His house was on top of a little hill, knoll you might call it. Martha, like himself, had been raised in West Texas where all you could see, as the city feller said, was miles and miles of miles and miles. She never could stand not being able to see a long ways off, and she’d picked out this spot herself. They could see all the valley and the sea, and some dim shapes of islands in the distance. Right nice.

Yes, it was all very peaceful--and tame.

That was the main trouble in the colony. Too tame. Some of them got restless. They argued the five-year test was all right for most planets. You needed every bit of it to prove that man could make it there, or couldn’t, or how much help he would need from Earth, maybe for a while, maybe always.

On Eden you didn’t have to prove anything. There wasn’t anything to make a man feel like a man, proud to be one. Maybe that would be all right for ordinary folks, but for experimental colonists it was a slow death--almost as bad as living on Earth.

Sure, they’d made their complaints to Earth. Half a dozen times or maybe more. They’d asked for an inspector to come out and see for himself, and see what it was doing to the colonists. Jed put it right up to E.H.Q. that they were plumb ruining a prime batch of colonists with this easy living.

A man had to stretch himself once in a while if he expected to grow tall.

Some of the colonists were getting so lazy they’d stopped bitching and were even talking about maybe just staying on here after the experimental was over--maybe getting a doctor to reverse the operation so they could have kids--which, of course, you couldn’t have in an experimental colony.

And that was bad. What with easy living and wanting kids as was normal to most, experimental colonists weren’t so plentiful that Earth could afford to lose any.

Some of the colonists wanted to leave this--well, they called it a Lotus Land, whatever that was--right away, before everybody went under, got plumb ruined. They were all for taking the escape ship and hightailing it back to Earth. Sure, they knew there’d be a stink, and they’d get a little black mark in somebody’s book for not obeying orders to stick it out. But that was better than losing their trade, their desire to follow it. Maybe there’d be a penalty and they’d be marooned to stay on Earth for a while. But they’d bet there was a hundred planets laying idle right now because there weren’t enough experimentals to go around.

They’d get a black mark, but after a while they’d get another job too. Anyway, living on Earth couldn’t be any worse for them than living here.

Half of them wanted to stay here permanently. The other half wanted to leave right now. That was what the committee was going to decide today. He’d done some checking around, and it looked like they were going to vote to go. He’d also checked with them who wanted to stay permanently, and it looked like, in a showdown, they’d come along. They were proud to be men, too, men and women. Everybody would join. He’d been pretty sure of it.

Even the dissenters who’d moved away across the ridge. That was the trouble with them. There hadn’t been enough hardship to bind the community together. People forgot how to be kind to one another and get along when there wasn’t any hardship to share among themselves.

It would mean deserting the planet entirely. Even though his sympathies were with the ones who wanted to go, Jed felt there was something wrong, real bad, about deserting the planet. Still and all, if they voted to go he couldn’t stop them.

Maybe Earth would let the three-generation colonists come on out without the total test period. But maybe not. Maybe E.H.Q. would decide that Eden was too hard to colonize because it was too easy. Maybe they’d abandon the planet entirely. There’d be no more humans here, and no more coming.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close