Eight Keys to Eden
Chapter 14

Public Domain

At E.H.Q. on Earth communication had been working fine. The operator sat back and listened with trained ear alert for flaw or fade. A glance at the adjacent recording instrument told him it was taking down everything said--had been for hours.

Nice deal about those naked colonists. Maybe the astronavigator on the E cruiser had been right. Maybe they’d all just gone back to nature, all the way back.

He wondered if there were any pretty young female colonists. And how far did that word experimental take you? Some experiment! He realized his interest was running deeper than that of a detached technician’s concern for well-operated equipment--mechanical, that is. Well, let it. Live a little once in a while. At least dream.

The department supervisor hovered near the back of the operator’s chair, breathing down his neck. He gnawed at the knuckles of his hand, and hoped nothing would go wrong this time. That astronavigator, Louie LeBeau, was probably right. Those colonists had turned nudist, and were afraid to report what they’d done back to Earth!

Well!

He looked around guiltily, wondering if he’d exclaimed it aloud. He decided he hadn’t.

If he were out there, instead of that E, he’d make them put their clothes back on, on the double. Getting everything all upset, causing all this trouble, getting everybody excited, all of E.H.Q. aroused, taking up the time of an E--just because they wanted to frolic around without any clothes on!

If they were going to act like irresponsible children, they should be spanked like irresponsible children.

He wondered if there were any young pretty female colonists who ought to be spanked.

“ ... E Gray has just stepped off the landing ramp,” the pilot out there was reporting. “He is walking toward the three colonists. Now they have started walking toward him. They do not seem hostile. They seem glad to see us. My crew and I are still at our stations, ready for...”

Silence.

The set simply didn’t register anything more except that faint sigh of uncompleted force fields in space.

“What now? What now?” the supervisor pushed the operator to one side, and barely restrained the impulse to cuff him on the side of the head. “Now what did you do? Why did you meddle with it when it was coming in so clear and strong? What’s happened?”

“I didn’t do anything. I didn’t meddle with it. I don’t know what’s happened,” the operator flared back. “The signal just stopped. That’s all.”

There was an imperative flashing of the signal light on the line that had been rigged to give direct connection of the running report to Hayes’s office. The operator hesitated, then flipped open the key, as if he were touching a rattlesnake.

“What’s happened down there?” Hayes complained abruptly, without diplomatic softness. “This is a very crucial point!”

“I don’t know what happened. I don’t know,” the supervisor quarreled back. “The signal just stopped coming. We weren’t doing anything to the equipment.”

He looked up at the continuously changing tri-di star map which made the far wall appear to be a view into a miniature universe. “There’s no reason for an occlusion,” he said to Hayes. “And the set here is alive. It must be at the other end.”

He turned to the operator, and said loudly, “Bounce a beam on Eden’s surface. Just see if any booster has gone out between here and there.” Most of it was making a show of efficiency for Hayes.

“Here we go again,” the operator mumbled to himself, and pressed down a key. The returning pips showed the signal was getting through to Eden.

“Pilot Lynwood! Pilot Lynwood!” the supervisor nagged into the mike. “Speak up! Do you hear me?”

The operator sighed deeply. His panel partner grimaced something halfway between a grin and a sneer of disgust.

“They don’t answer,” the supervisor said at last to Hayes. “It’s the same as before.”

“Here we go again,” Hayes groaned, but not only to himself. “All right,” he said wearily, after a moment’s hesitation. “Keep the channel open. Keep trying to contact them. Let me know if signal resumes.”

But he already felt the conviction that it would do no good. It was too much of the same pattern as before. What could have happened?

There’d have to be another review, he supposed. A longer and more detailed one. There must be, had to be, something they’d overlooked in the first one. Had he been right in freezing out so many who wanted to speculate in that first one? But in the interests of time!

The scientists would grumble, even worse than before, because now each one of them would be worried lest it was his own field of knowledge that had failed. Hunting a needle in a haystack was easy. At least you knew what a needle looked like, could recognize it when you saw it.

It would probably all end with nothing solved. E McGinnis would go out in a rescue ship. He’d already told E Gray that he would be available in an emergency, and this looked like an emergency. And that would leave E.H.Q. without a single E in residence.

Why didn’t General Administration get busy and qualify more E’s? It shouldn’t be so difficult as all that to teach people to think! There was something mighty wrong with the way kids were brought up if only one in a million could still think by the time he was grown. Less than one in a million could qualify as an E.

A boy had to be a natural rebel to start with, because if he believed what people said he wouldn’t get anywhere, no farther than the people who said it. And if he didn’t believe what they told him, they punished him, outcast him, whipped him, violenced him into submission if they could. If they couldn’t they shut him up in a prison, labeled him dangerous to society.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close