Eight Keys to Eden - Cover

Eight Keys to Eden

Public Domain

Chapter 26

As one awakened from a deep sleep, a hypnotic trance, Cal opened his eyes.

Man’s ancient thought filled his being, the subject of man’s dreams, of yearnings, of philosophies. In ancient eidetic memory, the unbroken thread persisted: If I could only grasp this elusive thing, always just barely beyond my reach, I would not need the ox, the wagon, the train, the plane, the spaceship to transport me from here to there.

And now, at last, the thought was in Cal’s grasp. Express the things and forces balanced in equation to describe them as they are; or, equally, to alter the things and forces instead to fit the equation balance one had in mind; purely a matter of choice. Each was the use of natural law. No chaos here, no magic, one as much true science as the other.

How long had he slept, and dreamed? A few minutes? An hour? Or by chance was he another Rip Van Winkle, doomed to find the colonists aged or dead?

But why wonder?

A short distance first, just outside the amphitheater, just a small test. He first rearranged the relative position of himself to the amphitheater, to be outside instead of in it. He diagrammed the forces in his mind that would alter the relationship, connected them.

He was standing outside the entrance arch.

With a hoarse cry, Louie, who had been watching all the while through the open arch, shrank back away from Cal, wavered in uncertainty, then fell to his knees, then groveled in the dust.

“Forgive me!” he cried. “In my blind, senseless vanity, I did not know you were a Holy One. I was going to kill you, I confess. Woe! Woe! I saw you lying there in Their temple, defaming it in blasphemy by your sleep. But when I tried to enter, I could not. Their will prevented me. Some shielding force protected you. And then I knew you were a Holy One. Forgive me. Let me live to expiate my sin.”

“Louie, Louie,” Cal said sadly.

As if in tangled ball, the thought stream of Louie, twisted and warped by the false reasonings and interpretations fed to him in childhood, seemed clearly revealed to Cal. Again a change in concept of relationship to reality, the schematic of forces visualized, the untangling, straightening of thought.

Louie scrambled to his feet, a rueful grin on his face.

“Sorry, Cal,” he said. “I must have gone nuts there for a while, shock and all. I’m all right now. Don’t worry anymore about me. I’ll get on back to the rest.”

“Sure, Louie. See you there,” Cal agreed.

A rearrangement of relationships, and Cal walked out from behind a bush to approach Jed and Tom.

“You must not have gone all the way to the top,” Jed said when he looked up and caught sight of Cal. “It’s just barely past noon, I reckon. Didn’t expect to see you back until nightfall.”

“I took a short cut,” Cal said with a grin. “Little past noon,” he continued, as if musing with a thought. “About the same time of day that everything happened a couple of weeks ago.”

“Yeah, about the same time of day,” Jed said, and looked at him curiously.

Tom had arisen to his feet and was staring at Cal curiously, sensing a difference in the E. Now Jed felt it too, and looked at Cal with puzzlement on his face.

“There’s something important about it being around this time of day, Cal?” he asked.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close