A Good Man
Chapter 5

Copyright© 2014 by PARS001. All rights reserved.

The next morning Tom awoke wondering what the hell was going on. Looking around, his room was crowded with a mixture of brownies, pixies, sprites and half of the council. Huh? Most were asleep, that didn’t bother him as much as the fact that they were in his house to start with. Stirring with a slight groan a multitude rushed to his bed.

“Ok just a question? Frilly why are all of these people here?” Tom asked.

Giggling Frilly told him, “they ALL heard that you were badly hurt and rushed to help you, it appears they owe you,” this last was in hushed tones.

Three beings stepped forward, the brownie from the day before, a pixie that looked a lot like the one that had rushed forward when he healed the brownie, and the sprite that had brought his daughter. All three bowed in front of Tom, “I want to introduce you to Futhra, the head of the brownies. Yong the leader of the sprites, this is Queen Adalar of the pixies,” each bowed causing Tom to bow back to them bringing many gasps and smiles from the crowd in the room, “they are paying you back for what you have done so far.”

Tom looked surprised, “for what I’ve done? I haven’t really done anything, well ... not to me, I don’t feel I’ve done anything that warrants this support at all.”

“Tom,” Frilly started, “no one can heal the mind, you are the first that I have ever heard of, I am as you know 3500 years old.”

Tom just shook his head, to him all these things he’d done were simple things. “You act as if everything I did was hard or impossible, they were simple that’s all.”

“Tom sir, you just have to accept that you are special, you’ve brought many of the races together. Many are ready to follow you, something unheard of ever.”

Tom just looked at her in shock, he knew he was a better person than his wife had said but he never thought of his self as special. As if the bitch ever thought anything other than that about him.

Tom got up out of bed a slight throbbing in his side, slowly getting up, he held his side many in the room rushing to heal that part as quickly as possible. While he stood there another plan began to form in his mind. He’d need to discuss it with as many magical and mythical beings as he could, this plan he thought might bring him closer to getting Malamon. Sighing there were many dangers, and he didn’t want to put anyone in more danger than they were now, Malamon was still looking for energy and magic so they were at greater risk. Tom just hoped this plan might be the last he was starting to get tired of this megalomaniac Malamon, too many people have died.

Motioning each forward, Tom whispered to each that he needed to talk to them alone after all the others had gone. Thanking the many that were there, they started leaving while tom gathered the three at his table. Outlaying the plan the three listened most intensely till he finished. When he asked if the had questions, they were a little shocked that he was able to change the plan if they had concerns.

“I am not deaf to your suggestions, if we are to stop Malamon then we must band together to stop him,” Tom was surprised when at first, they didn’t say anything prompting Tom to prod them to open up.

“We remember 1500 years ago when he went against Malamon, the battle between them lasted for days. Everyone had removed themselves and hidden when the battle started,” started Queen Adalar, “even so many had wanted to help him, they were no match for Malamon’s power.”

“Yes, many of the strongest of the browines were destroyed that week, we are still to today recovering from that time.” stated Futha.

“Though many died that day, almost as many have died over the centuries What you have done in just a few weeks has again shifted the balance back to where it should be,” said Yong flaring brightly as it remembered those times.

All three leaned close whispering for a few minutes then Queen Adalar, spoke up, “we do have concerns, the last time Malamon was fought against, almost the whole magical world was devastated. Many were destroyed, it was delegated to me by the council to bring this up. We are sorry that our mistrust of the mage council, has hardened us to the plight of the mages. Many of the races want their concerns heard also. As these races don’t have many magical

users, they also must be included. The Gnomes, Dwarves, Ogres, Centaurs, Satyrs and Trolls though we try to keep them away from others, all have pledged to help. As for our cousins the Fairies and the Nymphs we haven’t heard anything yet, except, that they aren’t believing you are who you say you are. We... , “ about that time there was a commotion in the front room.

Tom jumped up and ran from the room, in the front room he found a fairy holding another, though smaller version of her self. Defiant to a fault she glared at Tom, “I was told that you could heal my daughter, I don’t believe you healed the others and I don’t really believe that you can heal my Crista. If you can then so be it, but if you can’t then all will know you for the fraud I know you to be.” The young fairy groaned and started to scream pushing away at her mother, soothing her, her mother glared up at Tom.

Tom stared back at the mother waiting for her permission to start. Moments later she turned toward Tom even more angry, “I still think you have something to do with this but she asked me to let you help her in one of her very few moments of clarity. Go ahead, like I said, I think you are a fake and I’ll be watching you very, very closely, one wrong move and I’ll have you killed I hope we understand each other.” Tom just nodded before he moved to in front of the younger fairy.

Starting to move in and out he could feel the mother’s eyes like daggers staring at him. Delving deep into her mind the younger fairy gasp then sighed and relaxed. The deeper he went the stranger this girl’s mind was, he had finally found the bottom and was starting back up when the mind of the Crista approached him. <You have to stop mage Tom, I can not face my mother right now, I do not have the courage. I went out against her orders and was attacked by Malamon, luckily I whisked away but my mind locked up with the pain and suffering. I can not face her knowing she will despise me for the rest of my life.>

This was a strange turn of events and really not at the right time. The way things were now. The mage council wasn’t that trusted by any of the magical and mythical beings in the magical world. <Crista, she will not despise you, look and see the worry she has for you> with that Tom showed her what had transpired before he’s started, a small gasp escaped her mind as she saw the love and worry there. The thing that she hadn’t realized then was that Tom hadn’t stopped healing her mind and was slowly approaching the surface.

<Alright mage Tom finish but I will need your help with her before I wake up explain to her> she asked.

<Yes, but I will need your help with her if I can strengthen your courage> Tom replied, Crista agreed and Tom finished. As her mind receded and he was able to plant the happy thought and strengthen her courage but not too much and began to pull out.

Emerging, Tom pulled her Mother aside, “I received a request from her,” he said

“A request? What game are you playing mage? I want the truth and I WILL know if you lie!” The mother shouted at Tom.

“As I said I had a request, Crista is afraid that you will now despise her, for the rest of her life, because she went against your orders.” Tom said.

“WHAT!? despise her? That sounds so much like her, I could never despise her but any mind readier could know that.”

The mother sneered with a nasty look at Tom the kind that could melt almost anything. Damn thought Tom this Fairy was extremely pissed off and in a major way too.

Crista began to stir and looked at Tom a small smile formed on her lips, “you really do love me don’t you mother,” she said as she threw her arms around her mother’s neck. Whispering in her mother’s ear Tom decided to leave the room, the other three were standing there huge smiles on their faces and dried tears from their eyes. “I suggest that we finish this meeting so we can get started on a plan to rid the world of Malamon.” as he walked past the three and sat again at the table. The other three watched for a few more moments then moved to sit at the table again thanking him for helping like he was.

They had just started to discuss many of the concerns of the magical and non-magical beings a few minutes later when they heard a gasp at the door way. “I had heard that this was happening but I thought it was just a joke that Malamon was spreading,” the fairy mother said standing in disbelief in the door way.

Adalar stood and embraced her cousin they whispered for a moment before the separated and the mother stepped forward. “I wish to know what payment you expect for healing my daughter.”

More than annoyed Tom, Tom stood and walked up to the mother trying to hold his temper.

“I expect nothing for doing what is right, and if you still wish to kill me you’ll have most of the magical world to go through. Just love your daughter and leave, as I know you hate humans and mages alike.” Turning his back on the shocked open mouthed fairy he sat still furious.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close