The Runaway Asteroid - Cover

The Runaway Asteroid

Public Domain

Chapter 2: Sent to Ceres

THE SPLENDOR of the Asteroid Belt stretched away in all directions, and the piercing light of uncountable stars filled the background. Such a view was possible only in airless space. Starman David Foster was staring out of the window of his ship, the Star Ranger, but he was not really seeing anything. His brow was furrowed with an uneasy doubt.

“Still no sign of ‘em, Zip,” announced Joe Taylor. The lanky six-footer had eased naturally into the position of pilot under David’s direction. Joe had flown everything from ancient biplanes to interplanetary rockets. He understood the principles of propulsion and flight, and with amazing facility could learn to fly almost any vehicle designed for traveling through an atmosphere or the vacuum of space.

Mark Seaton had naturally become the navigator and engine master of the Starman crew. He specialized in engines and large, complex machinery. He had always had a talent for understanding machines, and he knew the workings of the average rocket from stem to stern.

David Foster, like all Starmen, was able to navigate and fly his own ship, but had a specialty in Deep Space exploration and survival skills. Whenever he was faced with a problem, he could think it through and come up with a solution with the equipment available. He was a natural leader. He excelled at organization and decision-making, and Joe and Mark were glad to be a part of the Starman team under Zip’s leadership.

Joe continued to relate his observations. “I’ve scanned as far as the instruments can reach, and there’s just nothing out there in any direction-except the Earth ships, of course. They should be here in about three hours.”

“No debris?”

“No, Zip. I’ve found where the explosion took place and examined that more carefully than any other area. It was a violent blow. I think about a third of an asteroid was turned into dust when it went off, and that’s powerful enough to vaporize any ship that was carrying a weapon with that kind of potential.”

Zip shook his head as if warding off a buzzing insect. “All right. Nothing we can do about it.” He turned to the third Starman on the crew. “Mark,” he called out. “Would you send a report to Mars please and ask Commander De Koven what he wants us to do?”

“Okay, Zip.”

Mark prepared the message and sent it off. The response would come through after a delay of several minutes. As they waited, Joe said, “You seem uneasy, Zip. What’s there to worry about?”

“I just like completion. That ship we were chasing carried the last of the pirates from Mars, and I’d just feel a lot better if there were some debris, some evidence that they hadn’t escaped.”

“Zip,” came a deep voice from the lounge next to the flight deck, “there’s a lot of uncertainties in life, ‘specially life in space. I been around a lot and believe me, the exception is when you really know everything that happened-and that’s never.”

“Sure, Steve,” answered Zip, raising his voice. “I know. But I don’t like it.”

“You’ll probably be uneasy most of your life then. C’mon, be like me. Lie down, relax, take a nap. You’ve been rushing for days now, especially the last couple when we were shooting through the void at top speed. Give it up now, boy. You can’t do anything more.”

Zip didn’t answer, but he walked into the lounge. Steve Cliff was completely relaxed, with his feet propped on a table. His huge frame was sunk into the sofa deeper than Zip would have thought possible. Zip picked up a book that Mark had been reading, and lay down. In less than a minute, he was asleep with the open book face down on his chest.

“Up you go, Zip, it’s dinnertime.” Steve’s normally boisterous voice was gentle and almost subdued. Zip took a deep breath and slowly opened his eyes. He sat up, put the book aside and ran his hands through his red hair.

“What’s going on?”

“You’ve been out almost four hours. Figured I’d make myself useful so I whipped up some food. Here you go.” Steve set a tray down on the nearby table. There were mashed potatoes, salad heavy on diced tomatoes just the way Zip liked it, and a few pieces of very thinly sliced roast beef in a luscious brown gravy.

“Looks delicious, Steve; thanks.”

“Coffee’s coming up in a minute, steaming hot with half a teaspoon of sugar.” Zip reflected for a moment about how little time he had known Steve and how well he fit in to the group of three Starmen. Steve already knew how he liked his coffee-hot and fresh-and what his favorite meal was. While he was enjoying the aroma of the meal before tucking into it, Steve brought in the coffee.

Zip lifted a mouthful of roast beef and potatoes. “What’s going on?” he repeated.

“Mark got hold of the big guys in Eagle City, told ‘em what was going on out here. They told us to wait until the Earth forces showed up and then get on back to Mars. We’ve been under way almost an hour.” Zip nodded.

“Mark says there’s more and wants to talk to you whenever you’re ready.”

“Send him in.”

Mark came in as Zip put a fork into a chunk of tomato and lifted it out of the bowl, dripping with dressing. “This really is delicious, Steve!” he called out as Steve disappeared onto the flight deck, leaving the two Starmen to themselves.

“Steve told you we’re on our way back to Mars, I’m sure,” said Mark by way of preamble. Zip nodded. “Commander De Koven also said that we are to report directly to Mars Base. We drop Steve off at Eagle City and go right on to the Base without getting out of the ship.” Mars Base was Starlight Enterprise’s headquarters on Mars. It was a huge plant, covering several thousand acres of Martian desert near the north pole and far from any other settlement.

“What’s up?” Zip’s gray eyes peered over the rim of the coffee mug as he took a swallow.

“There’s no danger of further attack on Mars-everything seems to be secure in Eagle City-but we’re to be given an assignment with a ‘significant time factor,’ as the Commander put it. Too sensitive to put out over the radio even with scramblers and tight beam.”

“They must’ve learned something from the pirates they captured.”

Joe peeked around the corner. “No-I think they’re going to give us a medal and a month off for liberating Eagle City!”

Two days later, the Star Ranger was cruising at a good clip a few miles above the Martian desert. Eagle City was behind them, and the course was set almost due north. Mark was reminiscing about the parting with Steve.

“Don’t worry about a thing, boys-I’ll make sure the little folk get back to the Moon safely enough.” Steve was referring to Jack and Jill, the diminutive citizens of Titan who had played a critical role in rescuing Eagle City from the pirates during their assault on Mars.

Mark felt very badly that he hadn’t been able to see the Titanians. Four days before, they had left Mars without notice to begin the frantic chase of the escaping pirates, and now they were urgently called to Mars Base with no time permitted to see their friends. Personal relationships were important to Mark. As the Star Ranger returned to Mars from the Asteroid Belt, he had made a recorded greeting and farewell for Jack and Jill and entrusted it to Steve. Mark was beginning to realize that for him, the life of a Starman would be marked with frequent partings and sorrows.

The always-ebullient Joe did not seem to be affected. “Don’t worry about it, we’ll see them again. They’ll understand. Right now we’re off on another adventure!”

As the Star Ranger approached the pole, Mark shifted his mood and hoped that Joe would be right.

“Oooh, yes! Look at that!” exulted Joe, pointing out of the front of the ship. A light came over the horizon like a flame too bright to be looked at comfortably. The sun was reflecting off the glass-sheathed buildings of Mars Base, Starlight Enterprise’s primary headquarters on the fourth planet.

As the Star Ranger rapidly closed the distance, Mark radioed for landing clearance.

“Gorgeous!” said Joe. From the pilot’s seat he could make out the airport, the hangar, the sprawling laboratory and research buildings and the manufacturing centers. Men, robots, and machines scurried around the plant. Security was very high; ever since the pirate attack SE had redoubled its efforts to keep out unauthorized personnel. This was the area from which Starlight Enterprise conducted its Martian operations.

Immediately after landing, the Starmen were brought into a spacious office. As they entered, a clean-shaven man with a rather long crew cut looked up.

“Mr. Konig!” exclaimed Zip as he led the little parade into the central portion of the complex. “I sure didn’t expect to see you here!” Konig was in charge of security throughout the entire SE system.

“Welcome to the Base, Starmen!” Konig stood up and came around his desk to greet each of them with a warm, two-handed handshake. He was a genial man, large but by no means overweight, very strong, firm, and of almost regal bearing. He gave the impression of being always available and affable, but never to be taken for granted.

“Sit down,” he continued. “What I have to say is of vital importance and I’m afraid we don’t have time to do more than get you briefed on the situation. I can’t even take the time to commend you for the outstanding work you did against the pirates. Richard is busting with pride over his newest Starmen! I can’t say I blame him-you did marvelous work! You three are wanted on Earth for some special recognition, but unfortunately we have a brief mission for you first.”

“Richard” was Richard Starlight, the head of Starlight Enterprise who had entrusted Mark and Joe with their Martian assignment.

“Thank you, Mr. Konig,” responded Zip simply.

“The pirates only had a few men placed here at the Base, but they were enough to shut down operations for the few days they needed to paralyze Eagle City. Frankly, it was a surprise for us and Richard wanted me to take personal charge of security on Mars until it was quite clear that the threat was past. Actually, I flew in with the invasion fleet. My most important assignment here is to set up a secret base for Starlight Enterprise, which will be a backup and defense unit prepared for any events such as the one we’ve just experienced.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close