The Fire People
Chapter XXIX: The Return

Public Domain

There is but little more to add. With the death of Tao and the changing of the law concerning the virgins’ wings, my mission on Mercury was over. But I did not think of that then, for with the war ended, my position as virtual ruler of the Light Country still held Mercer and me occupied with a multiplicity of details. It was a month or more after our return from the Twilight Country that Miela reminded me of father and my duty to him. “You have forgotten, my husband. But I have not. Your world--it calls you now. You must go back.”

Go back home--to father and dear little Beth! I had not realized how much I had wanted it.

“What you have done for our nation--for our girls--can never be repaid, Alan. And you can do more in later years, perhaps. But now your father needs you--and we must think of him.”

I cast aside every consideration of what changes would first have to be made here on Mercury, and decided in that moment to go.

“But you must go with me, Miela,” I said, and then, as I thought of something else, I added gently: “You will, won’t you, little wife? For you know I cannot leave you now.”

She smiled her tender little smile.

“‘Whither thou goest, I will go,’ my husband,” she quoted softly, “‘for thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God.’”

We were ready to start at the time of the next inferior conjunction of Mercury with the earth. At our combined pleading, and with the permission of his associates, Fuero was persuaded to take command of the nation during my absence; and I felt I was leaving affairs in able hands.

Lua refused to accompany us; but she urged Anina to go, and the little girl was ready enough to take advantage of her mother’s permission.

Though he said nothing, I shall never forget Mercer’s face as this decision was made.

The vehicle in which Miela had made her former trip was still lying in the valley where we had left it. We went away privately, only Lua and Fuero accompanying us out of the city.

Lua parted with her two daughters quietly. Her emotions at seeing them go she concealed under that sweet, gentle reserve which was characteristic of her always.

“Promise me you will be careful of her, Alan,” she said softly as she kissed me at parting.


We landed in the Chilean Andes, with that patient statue of the Christ to welcome us back to earth. The Trans-Andean Railroad runs near it, and we soon were in the city of Buenos Aires. The two girls, with wings shrouded in their long cloaks, walked about its crowded streets with a wonderment I can only vaguely imagine. We had only what little money I had taken with me to Mercury. I interviewed a prominent banker of the city, told him in confidence who I was, and from him obtained necessary funds.

We cabled father then, and he answered at once that he would come down and join us. We waited for him down there, and in another month he was with us--dear old gentleman, leaning over the steamer rail, trying to hold back the tears of joy that sprang into his eyes at sight of me. Little Beth was with him, too, smart and stylish as ever, and good old Bob Trevor, whom she shyly presented as her husband.

The beach at Mar del Plata, near Buenos Aires, is one of the most beautiful spots in South America; and on a clear moonlit night, with the Southern Cross overhead, it displays the starry heavens as few other places can on this earth.

 
There is more of this chapter...

When this story gets more text, you will need to Log In to read it

Close