First Lensman
Chapter 2

Public Domain

As has been said, The Hill, which had been built to be the Tellurian headquarters of the Triplanetary Service and which was now the headquarters of the half-organized Solarian Patrol, was--and is--a truncated, alloy-sheathed, honey-combed mountain. But, since human beings do not like to live eternally underground, no matter how beautifully lighted or how carefully and comfortably air-conditioned the dungeon may be, the Reservation spread far beyond the foot of that gray, forbidding, mirror-smooth cone of metal. Well outside that farflung Reservation there was a small city; there were hundreds of highly productive farms; and, particularly upon this bright May afternoon, there was a Recreation Park, containing, among other things, dozens of tennis courts.

One of these courts was three-quarters enclosed by stands, from which a couple of hundred people were watching a match which seemed to be of some little local importance. Two men sat in a box which had seats for twenty, and watched admiringly the pair who seemed in a fair way to win in straight sets the mixed-doubles championship of the Hill.

“Fine-looking couple, Rod, if I do say so myself, as well as being smooth performers.” Solarian Councillor Virgil Samms spoke to his companion as the opponents changed courts. “I still think, though, the young hussy ought to wear some clothes--those white nylon shorts make her look nakeder even than usual. I told her so, too, the jade, but she keeps on wearing less and less.”

“Of course,” Commissioner Roderick K. Kinnison laughed quietly. “What did you expect? She got her hair and eyes from you, why not your hard-headedness, too? One thing, though, that’s all to the good--she’s got what it takes to strip ship that way, and most of ‘em haven’t. But what I can’t understand is why they don’t...” He paused.

“I don’t either. Lord knows we’ve thrown them at each other hard enough, and Jack Kinnison and Jill Samms would certainly make a pair to draw to. But if they won’t ... but maybe they will yet. They’re still youngsters, and they’re friendly enough.”

If Samms père could have been out on the court, however, instead of in the box, he would have been surprised; for young Kinnison, although smiling enough as to face, was addressing his gorgeous partner in terms which carried little indeed of friendliness.

“Listen, you bird-brained, knot-headed, grand-standing half-wit!” he stormed, voice low but bitterly intense. “I ought to beat your alleged brains out! I’ve told you a thousand times to watch your own territory and stay out of mine! If you had been where you belonged, or even taken my signal, Frank couldn’t have made that thirty-all point; and if Lois hadn’t netted she’d’ve caught you flat-footed, a kilometer out of position, and made it deuce. What do you think you’re doing, anyway--playing tennis or seeing how many innocent bystanders you can bring down out of control?”

“What do you think?” the girl sneered, sweetly. Her tawny eyes, only a couple of inches below his own, almost emitted sparks. “And just look at who’s trying to tell who how to do what! For your information, Master Pilot John K. Kinnison, I’ll tell you that just because you can’t quit being ‘Killer’ Kinnison even long enough to let two good friends of ours get a point now and then, or maybe even a game, is no reason why I’ve got to turn into ‘Killer’ Samms. And I’ll also tell you...”

“You’ll tell me nothing, Jill--I’m telling you! Start giving away points in anything and you’ll find out some day that you’ve given away too many. I’m not having any of that kind of game--and as long as you’re playing with me you aren’t either--or else. If you louse up this match just once more, the next ball I serve will hit the tightest part of those fancy white shorts of yours--right where the hip pocket would be if they had any--and it’ll raise a welt that will make you eat off of the mantel for three days. So watch your step!”

“You insufferable lug! I’d like to smash this racket over your head! I’ll do it, too, and walk off the court, if you don’t...”

The whistle blew. Virgilia Samms, all smiles, toed the base-line and became the personification and embodiment of smoothly flowing motion. The ball whizzed over the net, barely clearing it--a sizzling service ace. The game went on.

And a few minutes later, in the shower room, where Jack Kinnison was caroling lustily while plying a towel, a huge young man strode up and slapped him ringingly between the shoulder blades.

“Congratulations, Jack, and so forth. But there’s a thing I want to ask you. Confidential, sort of... ?”

“Shoot! Haven’t we been eating out of the same dish for lo, these many moons? Why the diffidence all of a sudden, Mase? It isn’t in character.”

“Well ... it’s ... I’m a lip-reader, you know.”

“Sure. We all are. What of it?”

“It’s only that ... well, I saw what you and Miss Samms said to each other out there, and if that was lovers’ small talk I’m a Venerian mud-puppy.”

Lovers! Who the hell ever said we were lovers? ... Oh, you’ve been inhaling some of dad’s balloon-juice. Lovers! Me and that red-headed stinker--that jelly-brained sapadilly? Hardly!

“Hold it, Jack!” The big officer’s voice was slightly edged. “You’re off course--a hell of a long flit off. That girl has got everything. She’s the class of the Reservation--why, she’s a regular twelve-nineteen!”

“Huh?” Amazed, young Kinnison stopped drying himself and stared. “You mean to say you’ve been giving her a miss just because...” He had started to say “because you’re the best friend I’ve got in the System,” but he did not.

“Well, it would have smelled slightly cheesy, I thought.” The other man did not put into words, either, what both of them so deeply knew to be the truth. “But if you haven’t got ... if it’s O.K. with you, of course...”

“Stand by for five seconds--I’ll take you around.”

Jack threw on his uniform, and in a few minutes the two young officers, immaculate in the space-black-and-silver of the Patrol, made their way toward the women’s dressing rooms.

“ ... but she’s all right, at that ... in most ways ... I guess.” Kinnison was half-apologizing for what he had said. “Outside of being chicken-hearted and pig-headed, she’s a good egg. She really qualifies ... most of the time. But I wouldn’t have her, bonus attached, any more than she would have me. It’s strictly mutual. You won’t fall for her, either, Mase; you’ll want to pull one of her legs off and beat the rest of her to death with it inside of a week--but there’s nothing like finding things out for yourself.”

In a short time Miss Samms appeared; dressed somewhat less revealingly than before in the blouse and kilts which were the mode of the moment.

“Hi, Jill! This is Mase--I’ve told you about him. My boat-mate. Master Electronicist Mason Northrop.”

“Yes, I’ve heard about you, ‘Troncist--a lot.” She shook hands warmly.

“He hasn’t been putting tracers on you, Jill, on accounta he figured he’d be poaching. Can you feature that? I straightened him out, though, in short order. Told him why, too, so he ought to be insulated against any voltage you can generate.”

“Oh, you did? How sweet of you! But how ... oh, those?” She gestured at the powerful prism binoculars, a part of the uniform of every officer of space.

“Uh-huh.” Northrop wriggled, but held firm.

“If I’d only been as big and husky as you are,” surveying admiringly some six feet two of altitude and two hundred-odd pounds of hard meat, gristle, and bone, “I’d have grabbed him by one ankle, whirled him around my head, and flung him into the fifteenth row of seats. What’s the matter with him, Mase, is that he was born centuries and centuries too late. He should have been an overseer when they built the pyramids--flogging slaves because they wouldn’t step just so. Or better yet, one of those people it told about in those funny old books they dug up last year--liege lords, or something like that, remember? With the power of life and death--’high, middle, and low justice’, whatever that was--over their vassals and their families, serfs, and serving-wenches. Especially serving-wenches! He likes little, cuddly baby-talkers, who pretend to be utterly spineless and completely brainless--eh, Jack?”

“Ouch! Touché, Jill--but maybe I had it coming to me, at that. Let’s call it off, shall we? I’ll be seeing you two, hither or yon.” Kinnison turned and hurried away.

“Want to know why he’s doing such a quick flit?” Jill grinned up at her companion; a bright, quick grin. “Not that he was giving up. The blonde over there--the one in rocket red. Very few blondes can wear such a violent shade. Dimples Maynard.”

“And is she ... er... ?”

“Cuddly and baby-talkish? Uh-uh. She’s a grand person. I was just popping off; so was he. You know that neither of us really meant half of what we said ... or ... at least...” Her voice died away.

“I don’t know whether I do or not,” Northrop replied, awkwardly but honestly. “That was savage stuff if there ever was any. I can’t see for the life of me why you two--two of the world’s finest people--should have to tear into each other that way. Do you?”

“I don’t know that I ever thought of it like that.” Jill caught her lower lip between her teeth. “He’s splendid, really, and I like him a lot--usually. We get along perfectly most of the time. We don’t fight at all except when we’re too close together ... and then we fight about anything and everything ... say, suppose that that could be it? Like charges, repelling each other inversely as the square of the distance? That’s about the way it seems to be.”

“Could be, and I’m glad.” The man’s face cleared. “And I’m a charge of the opposite sign. Let’s go!”


And in Virgil Samms’ deeply-buried office, Civilization’s two strongest men were deep in conversation.

“ ... troubles enough to keep four men of our size awake nights.” Samms’ voice was light, but his eyes were moody and somber. “You can probably whip yours, though, in time. They’re mostly in one solar system; a short flit covers the rest. Languages and customs are known. But how--how--can legal processes work efficiently--work at all, for that matter--when a man can commit a murder or a pirate can loot a space-ship and be a hundred parsecs away before the crime is even discovered? How can a Tellurian John Law find a criminal on a strange world that knows nothing whatever of our Patrol, with a completely alien language--maybe no language at all--where it takes months even to find out who and where--if any--the native police officers are? But there must be a way, Rod--there’s got to be a way!” Samms slammed his open hand resoundingly against his desk’s bare top. “And by God I’ll find it--the Patrol will come out on top!”

“‘Crusader’ Samms, now and forever!” There was no trace of mockery in Kinnison’s voice or expression, but only friendship and admiration. “And I’ll bet you do. Your Interstellar Patrol, or whatever...”

“Galactic Patrol. I know what the name of it is going to be, if nothing else.”

“ ... is just as good as in the bag, right now. You’ve done a job so far, Virge. This whole system, Nevia, the colonies on Aldebaran II and other planets, even Valeria, as tight as a drum. Funny about Valeria, isn’t it...”

There was a moment of silence, then Kinnison went on:

“But wherever diamonds are, there go Dutchmen. And Dutch women go wherever their men do. And, in spite of medical advice, Dutch babies arrive. Although a lot of the adults died--three G’s is no joke--practically all of the babies keep on living. Developing bones and muscles to fit--walking at a year and a half old--living normally--they say that the third generation will be perfectly at home there.”

“Which shows that the human animal is more adaptable than some ranking medicos had believed, is all. Don’t try to side-track me, Rod. You know as well as I do what we’re up against; the new headaches that inter-stellar commerce is bringing with it. New vices--drugs--thionite, for instance; we haven’t been able to get an inkling of an idea as to where that stuff is coming from. And I don’t have to tell you what piracy has done to insurance rates.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close