Ten From Infinity - Cover

Ten From Infinity

Public Domain

Chapter 4

Dr. Rudolph Entman, one of the world’s foremost neurologists, stripped off his rubber gloves and scowled at the strange body that lay on the table before him.

“Goddamn it,” he fumed, “it’s artificially constructed. It’s been hand-made--manufactured. And there’s one thing I’d give a few years of my life to know.”

Brent Taber stared moodily into Entman’s myopic little eyes and asked, “What’s that, Doctor?”

“How in hell did they do it?”

“Who do you suppose they are?”

Entman looked ceilingward in a manner that indicated he might either be hunting for them somewhere out beyond, or sending a prayer heavenward in a plea for Divine counsel and guidance.

“Some form of entity with far greater intelligence than we possess.”

“You can tell me more than that, can’t you?” Brent asked sharply. And when Doctor Entman looked up in surprise, he added, “Sorry for the tone. My nerves have gotten a little edgy lately.”

Entman smiled understandingly. “I don’t wonder. As to this living machine--no ... it’s not a machine because it did live. Let’s see what we can figure out. What’s it made of? The material used in its construction is--oh, hell--how can I put it? This way, maybe. Take a wool blanket and call it genuine flesh, blood and bone. Now, take a blanket made of one of the new synthetics--Dacron or any one of the other equally serviceable materials--call that the material this creature is made of. Figuring it that way--”

“You mean our visitor’s body is constructed of things that feel and look like flesh, blood and bone--work as well, but aren’t. Right?”

“Right. But, of course, that doesn’t tell you anything you didn’t know before.”

“But what about their potentials, their capabilities? They’re human--in the sense that they’re exact duplicates of humans--and they live, but what about emotions? If we accept the somewhat unscientific theory that it’s a soul which is responsible for feelings and emotions, these ... these ... creatures would be handicapped.” Brent paused as if uncertain of his ground. “Wouldn’t they?” he asked lamely. “I mean, they couldn’t--theoretically, at least--react to situations ... or other people’s emotions.”

Doctor Entman nodded his head and murmured, “I would be inclined to agree. Except that we’re obviously dealing with superior intelligence--I’m speaking about the “people” responsible for these androids--and we have no idea how far they might have progressed in duplicating that indefinable something we call a soul.”

For a moment he lapsed into silence. Then looked up at Brent abruptly. “Have you read anything on Kendrick’s experiments with synthetic emotion?”

“Can’t say that I have.”

“Kendrick, down at Penton Technological Institute, has done some remarkable things in drawing the stuff of human emotion from one person, holding it on a tape, and transferring it to another person.”

“On the face of it, that sounds ridiculous.”

“Doesn’t it? Nevertheless, the vibrations set up, or created you might say, by a person in anger, consist of some sort of stuff--in the sense of an incredibly high frequency wave. Radio or television waves are the best comparisons.

“Kendrick, in one demonstration, took a young man who was very much in love with a certain young lady. A really love-sick lad. He placed him in the recording unit gave him the young lady’s picture, and told him to let his mind dwell on her to the exclusion of all else.”

Doctor Entman smiled briefly. “This, I imagine, wasn’t difficult for the lad to do. Entman then put another young man, one who was unacquainted with the girl, into a receiving unit and exposed him, after giving him the girl’s picture, to the vibrations created by the lovelorn chap. Later, they saw to it that the second lad was introduced to the girl. The results were rather startling, in that the young lady suddenly had two ardent suitors in place of one.”

Brent Taber scratched his ear and looked dubious. “That sounds pretty sensational. But maybe the second lad just plain happened to fall in love with the girl by natural processes.”

“True, but the experiments tended to eliminate that possibility. Other emotions were tested. How about a man walking up to a man he’d never seen before in his life and busting him in the nose?”

“Okay, okay. Then you think--”

“I think a lot of things. Here, I see the possibility of a race with superior science, having moved far ahead of us in the directions Kendrick is pointing toward in his research. For instance, with more advanced knowledge and know-how, they’ve probably been able to charge a synthetic body with a complete set of functioning emotional responses. Grant them that and we can also concede a tailor-made ego.”

“I don’t mind admitting I’m scared, Doctor,” Brent Taber said.

“I think it’s a time to be scared.”

“But if a race of people were that advanced, if their intention is hostile, why do they pussyfoot around this way? Why don’t they just come down and take us over?”

“I’ve wondered that, too. And yet, a race on some planet out there in the universe might not evolve according to what we consider a logical pattern.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that while they can create a synthetic man, their interests, and therefore their progress, may have stayed in peaceful channels. For instance, they may not have bothered with anything as elementary as the atom bomb.”

“It’s a thought.”

“A wishful thought, I’ll admit. But it does have some validity. Also, it has a fact of some possible value to back it up.”

“What fact?”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close