The People of the Black Circle - Cover

The People of the Black Circle

Public Domain

Khemsa Uses Magic

In the confusion that reigned in the fortress while the guard was being turned out, no one noticed that the girl who had accompanied the Devi slipped out the great arched gate and vanished in the darkness. She ran straight for the city, her garments tucked high. She did not follow the open road, but cut straight through fields and over slopes, avoiding fences and leaping irrigation ditches as surely as if it were broad daylight, and as easily as if she were a trained masculine runner. The hoof-drum of the guardsmen had faded away up the hill before she reached the city wall. She did not go to the great gate, beneath whose arch men leaned on spears and craned their necks into the darkness, discussing the unwonted activity about the fortress. She skirted the wall until she reached a certain point where the spire of the tower was visible above the battlements. Then she placed her hands to her mouth and voiced a low weird call that carried strangely.

Almost instantly a head appeared at an embrasure and a rope came wriggling down the wall. She seized it, placed a foot in the loop at the end, and waved her arm. Then quickly and smoothly she was drawn up the sheer stone curtain. An instant later she scrambled over the merlons and stood up on a flat roof which covered a house that was built against the wall. There was an open trap there, and a man in a camel-hair robe who silently coiled the rope, not showing in any way the strain of hauling a full-grown woman up a forty-foot wall.

‘Where is Kerim Shah?’ she gasped, panting after her long run.

‘Asleep in the house below. You have news?’

‘Conan has stolen the Devi out of the fortress and carried her away into the hills!’ She blurted out her news in a rush, the words stumbling over one another.

Khemsa showed no emotion, but merely nodded his turbaned head. ‘Kerim Shah will be glad to hear that, ‘ he said.

‘Wait!’ The girl threw her supple arms about his neck. She was panting hard, but not only from exertion. Her eyes blazed like black jewels in the starlight. Her upturned face was close to Khemsa’s, but though he submitted to her embrace, he did not return it.

‘Do not tell the Hyrkanian!’ she panted. ‘Let us use this knowledge ourselves! The governor has gone into the hills with his riders, but he might as well chase a ghost. He has not told anyone that it was the Devi who was kidnapped. None in Peshkhauri or the fort knows it except us.’

‘But what good does it do us?’ the man expostulated. ‘My masters sent me with Kerim Shah to aid him in every way--’

‘Aid yourself!’ she cried fiercely. ‘Shake off your yoke!’

‘You mean--disobey my masters?’ he gasped, and she felt his whole body turn cold under her arms.

‘Aye!’ she shook him in the fury of her emotion. ‘You too are a magician! Why will you be a slave, using your powers only to elevate others? Use your arts for yourself!’

‘That is forbidden!’ He was shaking as if with an ague. ‘I am not one of the Black Circle. Only by the command of the masters do I dare to use the knowledge they have taught me.’

‘But you can use it!’ she argued passionately. ‘Do as I beg you! Of course Conan has taken the Devi to hold as hostage against the seven tribesmen in the governor’s prison. Destroy them, so Chunder Shan can not use them to buy back the Devi. Then let us go into the mountains and take her from the Afghulis. They can not stand against your sorcery with their knives. The treasure of the Vendhyan kings will be ours as ransom--and then when we have it in our hands, we can trick them, and sell her to the king of Turan. We shall have wealth beyond our maddest dreams. With it we can buy warriors. We will take Khorbhul, oust the Turanians from the hills, and send our hosts southward; become king and queen of an empire!’

Khemsa too was panting, shaking like a leaf in her grasp; his face showed gray in the starlight, beaded with great drops of perspiration.

‘I love you!’ she cried fiercely, writhing her body against his, almost strangling him in her wild embrace, shaking him in her abandon. ‘I will make a king of you! For love of you I betrayed my mistress; for love of me betray your masters! Why fear the Black Seers? By your love for me you have broken one of their laws already! Break the rest! You are as strong as they!’

A man of ice could not have withstood the searing heat of her passion and fury. With an inarticulate cry he crushed her to him, bending her backward and showering gasping kisses on her eyes, face and lips.

‘I’ll do it!’ His voice was thick with laboring emotions. He staggered like a drunken man. ‘The arts they have taught me shall work for me, not for my masters. We shall be rulers of the world--of the world--’

‘Come then!’ Twisting lithely out of his embrace, she seized his hand and led him toward the trap-door. ‘First we must make sure that the governor does not exchange those seven Afghulis for the Devi.’

He moved like a man in a daze, until they had descended a ladder and she paused in the chamber below. Kerim Shah lay on a couch motionless, an arm across his face as though to shield his sleeping eyes from the soft light of a brass lamp. She plucked Khemsa’s arm and made a quick gesture across her own throat. Khemsa lifted his hand; then his expression changed and he drew away.

‘I have eaten his salt, ‘ he muttered. ‘Besides, he can not interfere with us.’

He led the girl through a door that opened on a winding stair. After their soft tread had faded into silence, the man on the couch sat up. Kerim Shah wiped the sweat from his face. A knife-thrust he did not dread, but he feared Khemsa as a man fears a poisonous reptile.

‘People who plot on roofs should remember to lower their voices, ‘ he muttered. ‘But as Khemsa has turned against his masters, and as he was my only contact between them, I can count on their aid no longer. From now on I play the game in my own way.’

Rising to his feet he went quickly to a table, drew pen and parchment from his girdle and scribbled a few succinct lines.

‘To Khosru Khan, governor of Secunderam: the Cimmerian Conan has

carried the Devi Yasmina to the villages of the Afghulis. It is an

opportunity to get the Devi into our hands, as the king has so long

desired. Send three thousand horsemen at once. I will meet them in

the valley of Gurashah with native guides.’

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close