Man of Many Minds - Cover

Man of Many Minds

Public Domain

Chapter 5

In the hotel room assigned him, George Hanlon threw himself on the bed and for an hour lay there reviewing this sudden, strange turn of events, and all it presaged. He tried in vain to thrust out of his mind the astonished consternation of his classmates, the sneers of the marines and the jeers of the civilians there at the gate, who had seen his disgrace. Almost in tears now, he realized at last this was but a prelude to years of being scorned and vilified as a despised outcast.

Finally he calmed a bit, then got up to pace the room, wondering what the next move would be. The answer came almost at once. A rap on the door disclosed a messenger with a package for him. On opening it, after the man had gone, Hanlon found the sleep-instructor and reels. On top was a smaller reel marked, “No. 1. Listen to this awake.”

He plugged in the machine, and put on the reel. It was his father’s voice.

“You’ve got this far, now begins your real work. You should be able to memorize the contents of these reels in two weeks. Briefly, here is what they contain. Simonides Four was colonized under the direction of a Greek merchant who gave it his name. Four is the only habitable planet. Most of the original inhabitants under him were of his nationality, and the present language is an outgrowth of modern Greek, which you know somewhat. There are now, of course, many variations and new words, terms peculiar to their growing and evolving culture. The reels give all this more fully.

“The last reel tells their history, geography and economic situation as of today. Also, details about their various large cities, especially New Athens, their capitol. We believe you will find that city the best place to start your investigations. When you have these reels memorized, go to the bank, get your final instructions from the box, and your money for the trip.

“As to the problem, again briefly this is it: In the past year or so Federation agents have sensed a movement there, but have not been able to interpret it. Whatever it is, it is very, very secret--the agents can’t even tell if it is political, religious, or merely social. Also, they have discovered that many important men, as well as dozens--maybe hundreds--of less important men, have mysteriously disappeared. All this has the smell of trouble for the Federation.

“At last the Secret Service was called in. We sent first one man, then a second. They tried to ‘bore from within’ by joining whatever the movement was. But they haven’t been able to get even a start--they’ve hit it and bounced. The second is still there, still trying.

“As a matter of fact, we have no evidence at all, merely a sort of ‘hunch’, or presentiment, of a plot against the peace and welfare of the Federated Planets. There may be nothing wrong at all, but we don’t like to take chances. With your ability to read minds you may be able to find out. We hope so.”

Hanlon thought the message was ended, but then the voice began again. “I was told you came through your disgrace-scene very well. I know just what you are undoubtedly feeling at the moment, Spence--how sick at heart you are--and I only wish there was some way of easing your pain. But it will pass.

“Good luck, son, and safe flights. Take care of yourself. We’re all behind you, and by the devious ways you know you can call on any or all of us at need. These reels are all water soluble, so dissolve them in the washbowl and flush down the drain as soon as you’re through with each.”


For the next two weeks Hanlon stayed fairly close to his room, studying by day from books obtained at the library the things he was learning at night via the sleep-instructor.

The evening of Graduation Day he sat miserably in front of a video screen in his room, watching the broadcast of the stately ceremony of which he would have been a part but for his decision to join the Secret Service.

All the longings of the years he had wanted to become a part of the Inter-Stellar Corps; all the hopes and plans he had made during his five long years in cadet school; all the thrilling pride he had known that he was to be a part of the greatest organization in the Universe, swelled inside him and choked him.

When, at long last, the class rose to take the Oath of Allegiance, Hanlon found himself on his feet, rigidly at attention, repeating the impressive ritual aloud with them.

Now, for the first time, despite his decision and his private graduation, he truly felt himself a vital part of the Corps.


On the street on his way to the library the following day, Hanlon chanced to meet a small group of his former classmates, now clad in their brand-new dress uniforms of sky-blue and crimson, their new junior lieutenant’s bars shining brightly.

“Hi, fellows!” he greeted them, only to be met by silent glares of contempt.

“Aw, look, fellows, you know I was framed,” Hanlon planted himself in front of them, and made himself look hurt, nor was that any effort. This really cut deep. But he had to “play it out”; had to make them keep on thinking his disgrace was real.

“You guys know I’d never do anything like that,” he continued plaintively. “I didn’t cheat--didn’t need to. I know I lost my head when he accused me, but anyone’d do that.”

“You mean you were never caught cheating before,” Trowbridge sneered. “You sure had me ... us ... all fooled. Now scram, or else...” He doubled his fists and took a step toward Hanlon.

The latter still played out his string, but his heart was sick. He liked the fellows--they had been among his best friends for five long, happy years. Only now was he truly beginning to realize what a tremendous price he was paying ... and would have to pay all his life.

He stepped in and swung ... and was instantly the target for flying fists. He was knocked down several times, but always managed to get up again. He had been well trained in fighting of all types--and now he was putting all his knowledge and skill into use--but only for defense and the pretense of attack.

Even so he was getting badly mauled, for they were as well trained--and were five to his one. His clothes were dirty and ripped from the knock-downs, and a button was torn off his coat. His knuckles were skinned, and he could feel that his face was becoming a mass of bruises. A hard left connected with his mouth, and he spat out a broken tooth.

“‘Ten-shun!” a commanding voice suddenly broke in.

Instantly the five Corpsmen jumped back and, so ingrained was the training he had received, so did Hanlon, to come at salute as they saw a High Admiral climbing out of a ground-cab at the curb.

Hanlon, instantly realizing he wasn’t in uniform and was supposedly a discharged Corpsman, quickly dropped his salute and slouched truculently.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close