The Blind Spot - Cover

The Blind Spot

Public Domain

Chapter XXXI: Up for Breath

Rhamda Geos, instead of showing the concern and uneasiness that most men would show in the presence of an avowed ghost, evinced nothing but a deep and reverent happiness. He took Watson’s hand almost shyly. And while his manner was not effusive, it had the warmth that comes from the heart of a scholar.

“As a Rhamda,” he declared, “I must commend myself for being the first to speak to you. And I must congratulate you, my dear sir, on having fallen, not into the hands of Bar Senestro, but into those of my own kind. It is a proof of the prophecy, and a vindication of the wisdom of the Ten Thousand.

“I bid you welcome to the Thomahlia, and I offer you my services, as guide and sponsor.”

Chick did not reply at once. The chance he had taken was one of those rare decisions that come to genius; the whole balance of his fate might swing upon his sudden impulse. Not that he had any compunction; but he felt that it tied him down. It restricted him. Certainly almost any role would be easier than that of a spirit.

He didn’t feel like a ghost. He wondered just how a ghost would act, anyhow. What was more, he could not understand such a queer assumption on the Rhamda’s part. Why had he seemed to WANT Chick a ghost? Watson was natural, human, embodied, just like the Rhamda. This was scarcely his idea of a phantom’s life. Most certainly, the two of them were men, nothing else; if one was a wraith, so was the other. But--how to account for it?

Again he thought of Rhamda Avec. The words of Geos, “The Fact and the Substance,” had been exactly synonymous with what had been said of Avec by Dr. Holcomb, “The proof of the occult.”

Was it indeed possible that these two great ones, from opposite poles, had actually torn away the veil of the shadow? And was this the place where he, Watson, must pose as a spirit, if he were to be accepted as genuine?

The thought was a shock. He must play the same part here that the Rhamda had played on the other side of the Spot; but he would have to do it without the guiding wisdom of Avec. Besides, there was something sinister in the unknown force that had engulfed so strong a mind as the professor’s; for while Watson’s fate had been of his own seeking, that of the doctor smacked too much of treachery.

He turned to the Rhamda Geos with a new question:

“This Rhamda Avec--was he a man like yourself?”

The other brightened again, and asked in return:

“Then you have seen him!”

“I--I do not know,” answered Watson, caught off his guard. “But the name is familiar. I don’t remember well. My mind is vague and confused. I recall a world, a wonderful world it was from which I came, and a great many people. But I can’t place myself; I hardly--let me see--”

The other nodded sympathetic approval.

“I understand. Don’t exert yourself. It is hardly to be expected that one forced out of the occult could come among us with his faculties unimpaired. We have had many communications with your world, and have always been frustrated by this one gulf which may not be crossed. When real thought gets across the border, it is often indefinite, sometimes mere drivel. Such answers as come from the void are usually disappointing, no matter how expert our mediums may be in communicating with the dead.”

“The dead! Did you say--the dead?”

“Certainly; the dead. Are you not of the dead?”

Watson shook his head emphatically.

“Absolutely not! Not where I came from. We are all very much alive!”

The other watched him curiously, his great eyes glowing with enthusiasm; the enthusiasm of the born seeker of the truth.

“You don’t mean,” he asked, “that you have the same passions that we have here in life?”

“I mean,” said Watson, “that we hate, love, swear; we are good and we are evil; and we play games and go fishing.”

Geos rubbed his hands in a dignified sort of glee. What had been said coincided, apparently, with another of his pet theories.

“It is splendid,” he exulted, “splendid! And just in line with my thesis. You shall tell it before the Council of the Rhamdas. It will be the greatest day since the speaking of the Jarados!”

Watson wondered just who this Jarados might be; but for the moment he went back to the previous question.

“This Rhamda Avec: you were about to tell me about him. Let me have as much as I can understand, sir.”

“Ah, yes! The great Rhamda Avec. Perhaps you may recall him when your mind clears a little more. My dear sir, he is, or was, the chief of the Rhamdas of all the Thomahlia.”

“What is the ‘Thomahlia’?”

“The Thomahlia! Why, it is called the world; our name for the world. It comprises, physically, land, water and air; politically, it embraces D’Hartia, Kospia and a few minor nations.”

“Who are the Rhamdas?”

“They are the heads of--of the Thomahlia; not the nominal nor political nor religious heads--they are neither judicial, executive nor legislative; but the real heads, still above. They might be called the supreme college of wisdom, of science and of research. Also, they are the keepers of the bell and its temple, and the interpreters of the Prophecy of the Jarados.”

“I see. You are a sort of priesthood.”

“No. The priesthood is below us. The priests take what orders we choose to give, and are purely--”

“Superstitious?”

The Rhamda’s eyes snapped, just a trifle.

“Not at all, my dear sir! They are good, sincere men. Only, not being intellectually adept enough to be admitted to the real secrets, the real knowledge, they give to all things a provisional explanation based upon a settled policy. Not being Rhamdas, they are simply not aware that everything has an exact and absolute explanation.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close