Key Out of Time
Chapter 11: Weapon from the Depths

Public Domain

Jazia told her story with an attention to time and detail which amazed Ross and won his admiration for her breed. She had witnessed the death and destruction of all which was her life, and yet she had the wit to note and record mentally for possible future use all that she had been able to see of the raiders.

They had come out of the sea at dawn, walking with supreme confidence and lack of any fear. Axes flung when they did not reply to the sentries’ challenges had never touched them, and a bombardment of heavier missiles had been turned aside. They proved invulnerable to any weapon the Rovers had. Men who made suicidal rushes to use sword or battle ax hand-to-hand had fallen, before they were in striking distance, under spraying tongues of fire from tubes the aliens carried.

Rovers were not fearful or easily cowed, but in the end they had fled from the five invaders, gone to ground in their halls, tried to reach their beached ships, only to die as they ran and hid. The slaughter had been remorseless and entire, leaving Jazia in the hill shrine as the only survivor. She had hidden for the rest of the day, seen the killing of a few fugitives, and that night had stolen to the shore, launched one of the ship’s boats which was in a cove well away from the main harbor of the fairing, heading out to sea in hope of meeting the homing cruisers with her warning.

“They stayed there on the island?” Ross asked. That point of her story puzzled him. If the object of that murderous raid had been only to stir up trouble among the Hawaikan Rovers, perhaps turning one clan against the other, as he had deduced when he had listened to Torgul’s report of similar happenings, then the star men should have withdrawn as soon as their mission was complete, leaving the dead to call for vengeance in the wrong direction. There would be no reason to court discovery of their true identity by lingering.

“When the boat was asea there were still lights at the fairing hall, and they were not our lights, nor did the dead carry them,” she said slowly. “What have those to fear? They can not be killed!”

“If they are still there, that we can put to the test,” Torgul replied grimly, and a murmur from his officers bore out his determination.

“And lose all the rest of you?” Ross retorted coldly. “I have met these before; they can will a man to obey them. Look you--” He slammed his left hand flat on the table. The ridges of scar tissue were plain against his tanned skin. He knew no better way of driving home the dangers of dealing with the star men than providing this graphic example. “I held my own hand in fire so that the hurt of it would work against their pull upon my thoughts, against their willing that I come and be easy meat for their butchering.”

Jazia’s fingers flickered out, smoothed across his old scars lightly as she gazed into his eyes.

“This, too, is true,” she said slowly. “For it was also pain of body which kept me from their last snare. They stood by the hall and I saw Prahad, Okun, Mosaji, come out to them to be killed as if they were in a hold net and were drawn. And there was that which called me also so that I would go to them though I called upon the Power of Phutka to save. And the answer to that plea came in a strange way, for I fell as I went from the shrine and cut my arm on the rocks. The pain of that hurt was as a knife severing the net. Then I crawled for the wood and that calling did not come again--”

“If you know so much about them, tell us what weapons we may use to pull them down!” That demand came from Vistur.

Ross shook his head. “I do not know.”

“Yet,” Jazia mused, “all things which live must also die sooner or later. And it is in my mind that these have also a fate they dread and fear. Perhaps we may find and use it.”

“They came from the sea--by a ship, then?” Ross asked. She shook her head.

“No, there was no ship; they came walking through the breaking waves as if they had followed some road across the sea bottom.”

“A sub!”

“What is that?” Torgul demanded.

“A type of ship which goes under the waves, not through them, carrying air within its hull for the breathing of the crew.”

Torgul’s eyes narrowed. One of the other captains who had been summoned from the two companion cruisers gave a snort of disbelief.

“There are no such ships--” he began, to be silenced by a gesture from Torgul.

“We know of no such ships,” the other corrected. “But then we know of no such devices as Jazia saw in operation either. How does one war upon these under-the-seas ships, Ross?”

The Terran hesitated. To describe to men who knew nothing of explosives the classic way of dealing with a sub via depth charges was close to impossible. But he did his best.

“Among my people one imprisons in a container a great power. Then the container is dropped near the sub and--”

“And how,” broke in the skeptical captain, “do you know where such a ship lies? Can you see it through the water?”

“In a way--not see, but hear. There is a machine which makes for the captain of the above-seas ship a picture of where the sub lies or moves so that he may follow its course. Then when he is near enough he drops the container and the power breaks free--to also break apart the sub.”

“Yet the making of such containers and the imprisoning of the power within them,” Torgul said, “this is the result of a knowledge which is greater than any save the Foanna may possess. You do not have it?” His conclusion was half statement, half question.

“No. It took many years and the combined knowledge of many men among my people to make such containers, such a listening device. I do not have it.”

“Why then think of what we do not have?” Torgul’s return was decisive. “What do we have?”

Ross’s head came up. He was listening, not to anything in that cabin, but to a sound which had come through the port just behind his head. There--it had come again! He was on his feet.

“What--?” Vistur’s hand hovered over the ax at his belt. Ross saw their gaze centered on him.

“We may have reinforcements now!” The Terran was already on his way to the deck.

He hurried to the rail and whistled, the thin, shrill summons he had practiced for weeks before he had ever begun this fantastic adventure.

A sleek dark body broke water and the dolphin grin was exposed as Tino-rau answered his call. Though Ross’s communication powers with the two finned scouts was very far from Karara’s, he caught the message in part and swung around to face the Rovers who had crowded after him.

“We have a way now of learning more about your enemies.”

“A boat--it comes without sail or oars!” One of the crew pointed.

Ross waved vigorously, but no hand replied from the skiff. Though it came steadily onward, the three cruisers its apparent goal.

“Karara!” Ross called.

Then side by side with Tino-rau were two wet heads, two masked faces showing as the swimmers trod water--Karara and Loketh.

“Drop ropes!” Ross gave that order as if he rather than Torgul commanded. And the Captain himself was one of those who moved to obey.

Loketh came out of the sea first and as he scrambled over the rail he had his sword ready, looking from Ross to Torgul. The Terran held up empty hands and smiled.

“No trouble now.”

Loketh snapped up his mask. “So the Sea Maid said the finned ones reported. Yet before, these thirsted for your blood on their blades. What magic have you worked?”

“None. Just the truth has been discovered.” Ross reached for Karara’s hand as she came nimbly up the rope, swung her across the rail to the deck where she stood unmasked, brushing back her hair and looking around with a lively curiosity.

“Karara, this is Captain Torgul,” Ross introduced the Rover commander who was staring round-eyed at the girl. “Karara is she who swims with the finned ones, and they obey her.” Ross gestured to Tino-rau. “It is Taua who brings the skiff?” he asked the Polynesian.

She nodded. “We followed from the gate. Then Loketh came and said that ... that...” She paused and then added, “But you do not seem to be in danger. What has happened?”

“Much. Listen--this is important. There is trouble at an island ahead. The Baldies were there; they murdered the kin of these men. The odds are they reached there by some form of sub. Send one of the dolphins to see what is happening and if they are still there...”

Karara asked no more questions, but whistled to the dolphin. With a flip of tail Tino-rau took off.

Since they could make no concrete plan of action, the cruiser captains agreed to wait for Tino-rau’s report and to cruise well out of sight of the fairing harbor until it came.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close