Thin Edge
Chapter II

Public Domain

The hotel manager was a small-minded man with a narrow-minded outlook and a brain that was almost totally unable to learn. He was, in short, a “normal” Earthman. He took one look at the card that had been dropped on his desk from the chute of the registration computer and reacted. His thin gray brows drew down over his cobralike brown eyes, and he muttered, “Ridiculous!” under his breath.

The registration computer wouldn’t have sent him the card if there hadn’t been something odd about it, and odd things happened so rarely that the manager took immediate notice of it. One look at the title before the name told him everything he needed to know. Or so he thought.

The registration robot handled routine things routinely. If they were not routine, the card was dropped on the manager’s desk. It was then the manager’s job to fit everything back into the routine. He grasped the card firmly between thumb and forefinger and stalked out of his office. He took an elevator down to the registration desk. His trouble was that he had seized upon the first thing he saw wrong with the card and saw nothing thereafter. To him, “out of the ordinary” meant “wrong”--which was where he made his mistake.

There was a man waiting impatiently at the desk. He had put the card that had been given him by the registration robot on the desk and was tapping his fingers on it.

The manager walked over to him. “Morgan, Harry?” he asked with a firm but not arrogant voice.

“Is this the city of York, New?” asked the man. There was a touch of cold humor in his voice that made the manager look more closely at him. He weighed perhaps two-twenty and stood a shade over six-two, but it was the look in the blue eyes and the bearing of the man’s body that made the manager suddenly feel as though this man were someone extraordinary. That, of course, meant “wrong.”

Then the question that the man had asked in rebuttal to his own penetrated the manager’s mind, and he became puzzled. “Er ... I beg your pardon?”

“I said, ‘Is this York, New?’” the man repeated.

“This is New York, if that’s what you mean,” the manager said.

“Then I am Harry Morgan, if that’s what you mean.”

The manager, for want of anything better to do to cover his confusion, glanced back at the card--without really looking at it. Then he looked back up at the face of Harry Morgan. “Evidently you have not turned in your Citizen’s Identification Card for renewal, Mr. Morgan,” he said briskly. As long as he was on familiar ground, he knew how to handle himself.

“Odd’s Fish!” said Morgan with utter sadness, “How did you know?”

The manager’s comfortable feeling of rightness had returned. “You can’t hope to fool a registration robot, Mr. Morgan,” he said “When a discrepancy is observed, the robot immediately notifies a person in authority. Two months ago, Government Edict 7-3356-Hb abolished titles of courtesy absolutely and finally. You Englishmen have clung to them for far longer than one would think possible, but that has been abolished.” He flicked the card with a finger. “You have registered here as ‘Commodore Sir Harry Morgan’--obviously, that is the name and anti-social title registered on your card. When you put the card into the registration robot, the error was immediately noted and I was notified. You should not be using an out-of-date card, and I will be forced to notify the Citizen’s Registration Bureau.”

“Forced?” said Morgan in mild amazement. “Dear me! What a terribly strong word.”

The manager felt the hook bite, but he could no more resist the impulse to continue than a cat could resist catnip. His brain did not have the ability to overcome his instinct. And his instinct was wrong. “You may consider yourself under arrest, Mr. Morgan.”

“I thank you for that permission,” Morgan said with a happy smile. “But I think I shall not take advantage of it.” He stood there with that same happy smile while two hotel security guards walked up and stood beside him, having been called by the manager’s signal.

Again it took the manager a little time to realize what Morgan had said. He blinked. “Advantage of it?” he repeated haphazardly.


Harry Morgan’s smile vanished as though it had never been. His blue eyes seemed to change from the soft blue of a cloudless sky to the steely blue of a polished revolver. Oddly enough, his lips did not change. They still seemed to smile, although the smile had gone.

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close