Anything You Can Do
Chapter 7

Public Domain

The image of the Nipe on the glowing screen was clear and finely detailed. It was, Stanton thought, as though one were looking through a window into the Nipe’s nest itself. Only the tremendous depth of focus of the lens that had caught the picture gave the illusion a feeling of unreality. Everything--background and foreground alike--was sharply in focus.

Like some horrendous dream monster, the Nipe moved in slow motion, giving Stanton the eerie feeling that the alien was moving through a thicker, heavier medium than air, in a place where the gravity was much less than that of Earth. With ponderous deliberation, the fingers of one of his hands closed upon the handle of an oddly shaped tool and lifted it slowly from the surface upon which he worked.

“That’s our best-placed camera,” said Colonel Mannheim, “but some of the others can always get details that this one doesn’t. The trouble is that we’ll never really have enough cameras in there--not unless we stud the walls, ceilings, and floors with them, and even then I’m not so sure we’d get everything. It isn’t the same as having a trained expert on camera who is trying to demonstrate what he’s doing. An expert plays to the camera and never obstructs any of his own movements. But the Nipe...” He left the sentence unfinished and shook his head sadly.

Stanton narrowed his eyes at the image. To his own speeded-up perceptive processes, the motion seemed intolerably slow. “Would you mind speeding it up a little?” he asked the colonel. “I want to get an idea of the way he moves, and I can’t really get the feeling of it at this speed.”

“Certainly.” The colonel turned to the technician at the controls. “Speed the tape up to normal. If there’s anything Mr. Stanton wants to look at more closely, we can run it through again.”

As if in obedience to the colonel’s command, the Nipe seemed to shake himself a little and go about his business more briskly, and the air and gravity seemed to revert to those of Earth.

“What’s he doing?” Stanton asked. The Nipe was performing some sort of operation on an odd-looking box that sat on the floor in front of him.

The colonel pointed. “He’s got a screwdriver that he’s modified to give it a head with an L-shaped cross section, and he’s wiggling it around inside that hole in the box. But what he’s doing is a secret between God and the Nipe at this point,” Colonel Mannheim said glumly.

Stanton glanced away from the screen for a moment to look at the other men who were there. Some of them were watching the screen, but most of them seemed to be watching Stanton, although they looked away as soon as they saw his eyes on them. All, that is, except Dr. George Yoritomo, who simply gave him a smile of confidence.

Trying to see what kind of a bloke this touted superman is, Stanton thought. Well, I can’t say I blame ‘em.

He brought his attention back to the screen.

So this was the Nipe’s hideaway. He wondered if it were furnished in the fashion that a Nipe’s living quarters would be furnished on whatever planet the multilegged horror had come from. Probably it had the same similarity as Robinson Crusoe’s island home had to a middle-class nineteenth-century English home.

There was no furniture in it at all, as such. Low-slung as he was, the Nipe needed no tables or workbenches; all his work was spread out on the floor, with a neatness and tidiness that would have surprised many human technicians. For the same reason, he needed no chairs, and, since true sleep was a form of metabolic rest he evidently found unnecessary, he needed no bed. The closest thing he did that might be called sleep was his habit of stopping whatever he was doing and remaining quiet for periods of time that ranged from a few minutes to a couple of hours. Sometimes his eyes remained opened during these periods, sometimes they were closed. It was difficult to tell whether he was sleeping or just thinking.

“The difficulty was in getting cameras in there in the first place,” Colonel Mannheim was saying. “That’s why we missed so much of his early work. There! Look at that!” His finger jabbed at the image.

“The attachment he’s making?”

“That’s right. Now, it looks as though it’s a meter of some kind, but we don’t know whether it’s a test instrument or an integral and necessary part of the machine he’s making. The whole machine might even be only a test instrument for something else he’s building. Or perhaps a machine to make parts for some other machine. After all, he had to start out from the very beginning--making the tools to make the tools to make the tools, you know.”

Dr. Yoritomo spoke for the first time. “It’s not quite as bad as all that, eh, Colonel? We must remember that he had our technology to draw upon. If he’d been wrecked on Earth two or three centuries ago, he wouldn’t have been able to do a thing.”

Colonel Mannheim smiled at the tall, lean man. “Granted,” he said agreeably, “but it’s quite obvious that there are parts of our technology that are just as alien to him as parts of his are to us. Remember how he went to all the trouble of building a pentode vacuum tube for a job that could have been done by transistors he already had had a chance to get and didn’t. His knowledge of solid-state physics seems to be about a century and a half behind ours.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close