The Cosmic Computer - Cover

The Cosmic Computer

Public Domain

Chapter 14

It didn’t take as long as Mohammed Matsui expected. They found the fissionables magazine, and in it plenty of plutonium, each subcritical slug in a five-hundred-pound collapsium canister. There were repair-robots, and they only had to replace the cartridges in the power units of three of them. They sent them inside the collapsium-shielded death-to-people area--transmitter robots, to relay what the others picked up through receptors wire-connected with the outside; foremen-robots, globes a yard in diameter covered with horns and spikes like old-fashioned ocean-navy mines; worker-robots, in a variety of shapes, but mostly looking like many-clawed crabs.

Neither the converter nor the reactor had sustained any damage while the fissionables were burning out. So the robots began tearing out reactor-elements, and removing plutonium slugs no longer capable of sustaining chain reaction but still dangerously radioactive. Nuclear reactors had become simpler and easier to service since the First Day of the Year Zero, when Enrico Fermi put the first one into operation, but the principles remained the same. Work was less back-breaking and muscle-straining, but it called for intense concentration on screens and meters and buttons that was no less exhausting.

The air around them began to grow foul. Finally, the air-analyzer squawked and flashed red lights to signal that the oxygen had dropped below the safety margin. They had no mobile fan equipment, or time to hunt any; they put on their fishbowl helmets and went back to work. After twelve hours, with a few short breaks, they had the reactors going. Jerry Rivas and a couple of others took a heavy-duty lifter and went looking for conversion mass; they brought back a couple of tons of scrap-iron and fed it to the converters. A few seconds after it was in, the pilot lights began coming on all over the panels. They took two more hours to get the oxygen-separator and the ventilator fans going, and for good measure they started the water pumps and the heating system. Then they all went outside to the ship to sleep. The sun was just coming up.

It was sunset when they rose and returned to the building. The airlocks opened at a touch on the operating handles. Inside, the air was fresh and sweet, the temperature was a pleasantly uniform 75 degrees Fahrenheit, the fans were humming softly, and there was running hot and cold water everywhere.

Jerry Rivas, Anse Dawes, and the three tramp freighter fo’c’sle hands took lifters and equipment and went off foraging. The rest of them went to the communications center to get the telecast station, the radio beacon, and the inside-screen system into operation. There were a good many things that had to be turned on manually, and more things that had been left on, forty years ago, and now had to be repowered or replaced. They worked at it most of the night; before morning, almost everything was working, and they were sending a signal across twenty-eight million miles to Storisende, on Poictesme.

It was late evening, Storisende time, but Rodney Maxwell, who must have been camping beside his own screen, came on at once, which is to say five and a half minutes later.

“Well, I see you got in somewhere. Where are you, and how is everything?”

Then he picked up a cigar out of an ashtray in front of him and lit it, waiting.

“Port Carpenter; we’re in the main administration building,” Conn told him. He talked for a while about what they had found and done since their arrival. “Have you an extra viewscreen, fitted for recording?” he asked.

Five and a half minutes later, his father nodded. “Yes, right here.” He leaned forward and away from the communication screen in front of him. “I have it on.” He gave the wave-length combination. “Ready to receive.”

“This is about all we have, now. Views we took coming in, from the ship and a scout-boat.” He started transmitting them. “We haven’t sent in any claims yet. I wasn’t sure whether I should make them for Alpha-Interplanetary, or Litchfield Exploration & Salvage.”

“Don’t bother sending in anything to the Claims Office,” his father said. “Send anything you want to claim in here to me, and I’ll have Sterber, Flynn & Chen-Wong file them. They’ll be made for a new company we’re organizing.”

“What? Another one?”

His father nodded, grinning. “Koshchei Exploitation & Development; we’ve made application already. We can’t claim exclusive rights to the whole planet, like the old interstellar exploration companies did before the War, but since you’re the only people on the planet, we can come pretty close to it by detail.” He was looking to one side, at the other screen. “Great Ghu, Conn! This place of yours all together beats everything I ever dug, Force Command and Barathrum Spaceport included. How big would you say it is? More than ten miles in radius?”

“About five or six. Ten or twelve miles across.”

“That’s all right, then. We’ll just claim the building you’re in, now, and the usual ten-mile radius, the same as at Force Command. We’ll claim the place as soon as the company’s chartered; in the meantime, send in everything else you can get views of.”

They set up a regular radio-and-screen watch after that. Charley Gatworth and Piet Ludvyckson, both of whom were studying astrogation in hopes of qualifying as space officers after they had a real spaceship, elected themselves to that duty; it gave them plenty of time for study. Jerry Rivas and Anse Dawes, with whomever they could find to help them, were making a systematic search. They looked first of all for foodstuffs, and found enough in the storerooms of three restaurants on the executive level to feed their own party in gourmet style for a year, and enough in the main storerooms to provision an army. They even found refrigerators and freeze-bins full of meat and vegetables fresh after forty years. That surprised everybody, for the power units had gone dead long ago. Then it was noticed that they were covered with collapsium. Anything that would stop cosmic rays was a hundred percent efficient as a heat insulator.

Coming in, the first day, Conn had seen an almost completed hypership bulking above the domes and roofs of Port Carpenter in the distance. He saw it again on screen from a pickup atop the central tower. As soon as the party was comfortably settled in the executive apartments on the upper levels, he and Yves Jacquemont and Mack Vibart and Schalk Retief, the construction engineer, found an aircar in one of the hangars and went to have a closer look at her.

She had all her collapsium on, except for a hundred-foot circle at the top and a number of rectangular openings around the sides. Yves Jacquemont said that would be where the airlocks would go.

“They always put them on last. But don’t be surprised at anything you find or don’t find inside. As soon as the skeleton’s up they put the armor on, and then build the rest of the ship out from the middle. It might be slower getting material in through the airlock openings, but it holds things together while they’re working.”

They put on the car’s lights, lifted to the top, and let down through the upper opening. It was like entering a huge globular spider’s web, globe within globe of interlaced girders and struts and braces, extending from the center to the outer shell. Even the spider was home--a three-hundred-foot ball of collapsium, looking tiny at the very middle.

“Why, this isn’t a ship!” Vibart cried in disgust. “This is just the outside of a ship. They haven’t done a thing inside.”

“Oh, yes, they have,” Jacquemont contradicted, aiming a spotlight toward the shimmering ball in the middle. “They have all the engines in--Abbott lift-and-drive, Dillingham hyperdrives, pseudograv, power reactors, converters, everything. They wouldn’t have put on the shielding if they hadn’t. They did that as soon as they had the outside armor on.”

“Wonder why they didn’t finish her, if they got that far,” Retief said.

“They didn’t need her. They’d had it; they wanted to go home.”

“Well, we’re not going to finish her, not with any fifteen men,” Retief said. “One man has only two hands, two feet and one brain; he can only handle so much robo-equipment at a time.”

“I never expected we’d build a ship ourselves,” Conn said. “We came to look the place over and get a few claims staked. When we’ve done that, we’ll go back and get a real gang together.”

“I don’t know where you’ll find them,” Jacquemont commented. “We’ll need a couple of hundred, and they ought all to be graduate engineers. We can’t do this job with farm-tramps.”

“You made some good shipyard men out of farm-tramps on Barathrum.”

“And what’ll you do for supervisors?”

“You’re one. General superintendent. Mack, you and Schalk are a couple of others. You just keep a day ahead of your men in learning the job, you’ll do all right.”

Vibart turned to Jacquemont. “You know, Yves, he’ll do it,” he said. “He doesn’t know how impossible this is, and when we try to tell him, he won’t believe us. You can’t stop a guy like that. All right, Conn; deal me in.”

“I won’t let anybody be any crazier than I am,” Jacquemont declared, and then looked around the vastness of the empty ship with its lacework of steel. “All you need is about ten million square feet of decks and bulkheads, an air-and-water system, hydroponic tanks and carniculture vats, astrogation and robo-pilot equipment, about which I know very little, a hyperspace pilot system, about which I know nothing at all ... Conn, why don’t you just build a new Merlin? It would be simpler.”

“I don’t want a new Merlin. I’m not even interested in the original Merlin. This is what I want, right here.”

He told his father, by screen, about the ship. “I believe we can finish her, but not with the gang that’s here. We’ll need a couple of hundred men. Now, with the supplies we’ve found, we can stay here indefinitely. Should we do more exploring and claim some more of these places, or should we come home right away and start recruiting, and then come back with a large party, start work on the ship, and explore and make further claims as we have time?” he asked.

“Better come back as soon as possible. Just explore Port Carpenter, find out what’s going to be needed to finish the ship and what facilities you have to produce it, and get things cleaned up a little so that you can start work as soon as you have people to do it. I’m organizing another company--don’t laugh, now; I’ve only started promotioneering--which I think we will call Trisystem & Interstellar Spacelines. Get me all the views you can of the ship herself and of the steel mills and that sort of thing that will produce material for finishing her; I want to use them in promotion. By the way, has she a name?”

“Only a shipyard construction number.”

“Then suppose you call her Ouroboros, after Genji Gartner’s old ship, the one that discovered the Trisystem.”

Ouroboros II; that’s fine. Will do.”

“Good. I’ll have Sterber, Flynn & Chen-Wong make application for a charter right away. We’ll have to make Alpha-Interplanetary one of the stockholding companies, and also Koschchei Exploitation & Development, and, of course, Litchfield Exploration & Salvage...”

It was a pity there really wasn’t a Merlin. If this kept on nothing else would be able to figure out who owned how much stock in what.

They found the on-the-job engineering office for the ship in a small dome half a mile from the construction dock. Yves Jacquemont and Mack Vibart and Schalk Retief moved in and buried themselves to the ears in specifications and blueprints. The others formed into parties of three or four, and began looking about production facilities for material. There was a steel mill a mile from the construction site; it was almost fully robotic. Iron ore went in at one end, and finished sheet steel and girders and deck plates came out at the other, and a dozen men could handle the whole thing. There was a collapsium plant; there were machine-shops and forging-shops. Every time they finished inspecting one, Yves Jacquemont would have a list of half a dozen more plants that he wanted found and examined yesterday morning at the latest.

Some of them were in a frightful mess; work had been suspended and everybody had gone away leaving everything as it was. Some were in perfect order, ready to go into operation again as soon as power was put on. It had depended, apparently, upon the personal character of whoever had been in charge in the end. The nuclear-electric power unit plant was in the latter class. The man in charge of it evidently hadn’t believed in leaving messes behind, even if he didn’t expect to come back.

It was built in the shape of a T. One side of the cross-stroke contained the cartridge-case plant, where presses formed sheet-steel cylinders, some as small as a round of pistol ammunition and some the size of ten-gallon kegs. They moved toward the center on a production line, finally reaching a matter-collapser where they were plated with collapsium. From the other side, radioactive isotopes, mostly reactor-waste, came in through evacuated and collapsium-shielded chambers, were sorted, and finally, where the cross-arm of the T joined the downstroke, packed in the collapsium cases. The production line continued at right angles down the long building in which the apparatus which converted nuclear energy to electric current was assembled and packed; at the end, the finished power cartridges came off, big ones for heavy machines and tiny ones for things like hand tools and pocket lighters and razors. There were stacks of them, in all sizes, loaded on skids and ready to move out. Except for the minute and unavoidable leakage of current, they were as good as the day they were assembled, and would be for another century.

Like almost everything else, the power-cartridge plant was airtight and had its own oxygen-generator. The air-analyzer reported the oxygen insufficient to support life. That was understandable; there were a lot of furnaces which had evidently been hot when the power was cut off; they had burned up the oxygen before cooling. They put on their oxygen equipment when they got out of the car.

“I’ll go back and have a look at the power plant,” Matsui said. “If it’s like the rest of this place, it’ll be ready to go as soon as the reactors are started. I wish everybody here had left things like this.”

“Well, we’ll have to check everything to make sure nothing was left on when the main power was cut,” Conn said. “Don’t do anything back there till we give you the go-ahead.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close