Bodyguard - Cover

Bodyguard

Public Domain

Chapter III

The would-be thief fled down the dark alley, with the hot bright rays from the stranger’s gun lancing out after him in flamboyant but futile patterns. The stranger, a thin young man with delicate, angular features, made no attempt to follow. Instead, he bent over to examine Gabriel Lockard’s form, appropriately outstretched in the gutter. “Only weighted out,” he muttered, “he’ll be all right. Whatever possessed you two to come out to a place like this?”

“I really think Gabriel must be possessed...” the girl said, mostly to herself. “I had no idea of the kind of place it was going to be until he brought me here. The others were bad, but this is even worse. It almost seems as if he went around looking for trouble, doesn’t it?”

“It does indeed,” the stranger agreed, coughing a little. It was growing colder and, on this world, the cities had no domes to protect them from the climate, because it was Earth and the air was breathable and it wasn’t worth the trouble of fixing up.

The girl looked closely at him. “You look different, but you are the same man who pulled us out of that aircar crash, aren’t you? And before that the man in the gray suit? And before that... ?”

The young man’s cheekbones protruded as he smiled. “Yes, I’m all of them.”

“Then what they say about the zarquil games is true? There are people who go around changing their bodies like--like hats?” Automatically she reached to adjust the expensive bit of blue synthetic on her moon-pale hair, for she was always conscious of her appearance; if she had not been so before marriage, Gabriel would have taught her that.


He smiled again, but coughed instead of speaking.

“But why do you do it? Why! Do you like it? Or is it because of Gabriel?” She was growing a little frantic; there was menace here and she could not understand it nor determine whether or not she was included in its scope. “Do you want to keep him from recognizing you; is that it?”

“Ask him.”

“He won’t tell me; he never tells me anything. We just keep running. I didn’t recognize it as running at first, but now I realize that’s what we’ve been doing ever since we were married. And running from you, I think?”

There was no change of expression on the man’s gaunt face, and she wondered how much control he had over a body that, though second- or third- or fourth-hand, must be new to him. How well could he make it respond? What was it like to step into another person’s casing? But she must not let herself think that way or she would find herself looking for a zarquil game. It would be one way of escaping Gabriel, but not, she thought, the best way; her body was much too good a one to risk so casually.


It was beginning to snow. Light, feathery flakes drifted down on her husband’s immobile body. She pulled her thick coat--of fur taken from some animal who had lived and died light-years away--more closely about herself. The thin young man began to cough again.

Overhead a tiny star seemed to detach itself from the pale flat disk of the Moon and hurl itself upward--one of the interstellar ships embarking on its long voyage to distant suns. She wished that somehow she could be on it, but she was here, on this solitary old world in a barren solar system, with her unconscious husband and a strange man who followed them, and it looked as if here she would stay ... all three of them would stay...

“If you’re after Gabriel, planning to hurt him,” she asked, “why then do you keep helping him?”

“I am not helping him. And he knows that.”

“You’ll change again tonight, won’t you?” she babbled. “You always change after you ... meet us? I think I’m beginning to be able to identify you now, even when you’re ... wearing a new body; there’s something about you that doesn’t change.”

“Too bad he got married,” the young man said. “I could have followed him for an eternity and he would never have been able to pick me out from the crowd. Too bad he got married anyway,” he added, his voice less impersonal, “for your sake.”

She had come to the same conclusion in her six months of marriage, but she would not admit that to an outsider. Though this man was hardly an outsider; he was part of their small family group--as long as she had known Gabriel, so long he must have known her. And she began to suspect that he was even more closely involved than that.

“Why must you change again?” she persisted, obliquely approaching the subject she feared. “You have a pretty good body there. Why run the risk of getting a bad one?”

“This isn’t a good body,” he said. “It’s diseased. Sure, nobody’s supposed to play the game who hasn’t passed a thorough medical examination. But in the places to which your husband has been leading me, they’re often not too particular, as long as the player has plenty of foliage.”

“How--long will it last you?”

“Four or five months, if I’m careful.” He smiled. “But don’t worry, if that’s what you’re doing; I’ll get it passed on before then. It’ll be expensive--that’s all. Bad landing for the guy who gets it, but then it was tough on me too, wasn’t it?”

“But how did you get into this ... pursuit?” she asked again. “And why are you doing it?” People didn’t have any traffic with Gabriel Lockard for fun, not after they got to know him. And this man certainly should know him better than most.

“Ask your husband.”

The original Gabriel Lockard looked down at the prostrate, snow-powdered figure of the man who had stolen his body and his name, and stirred it with his toe. “I’d better call a cab--he might freeze to death.”

He signaled and a cab came.

“Tell him, when he comes to,” he said to the girl as he and the driver lifted the heavy form of her husband into the helicar, “that I’m getting pretty tired of this.” He stopped for a long spell of coughing. “Tell him that sometimes I wonder whether cutting off my nose wouldn’t, in the long run, be most beneficial for my face.”

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close