Bodyguard
Chapter XI

Public Domain

Keats had to try five different seals before he found the one that opened the lawyer’s office. He was afraid his obvious lack of familiarity would arouse Lockard’s suspicions, but the big man was too much preoccupied with his own emotions.

An unpleasantly haunting aroma of cooked meat seeped out from inside. “For Christ’s sake, Carmody, hurry!” Lockard snarled, and gave a sigh of relief as the door swung open and the illuminators went on, lighting the shabby office. Gorman was there. His horribly seared body lay sprawled on the dusty rug--quite dead.

“You--you killed him?” Gabriel quavered. The sight of murder done by another hand seemed to upset him more than the murder he himself had just committed.

The thin man gave a difficult smile. “Carmody killed him.” Which was undoubtedly the truth. “The gun that did it is in his pocket. I had nothing to do with it.” His eyes sought for the ones behind the veil. He wanted the girl who stood frozenly by the door to know that this, at least, was the truth.

Gabriel also stayed near the door, unable to take his eyes off the corpse. In death Carmody and Gorman, the big man and the small man, had looked the same; each was just a heap of charred meat and black ash. No blood, no germs--all very hygienic. “You’re smart, Carmody,” he said from taut lips. “Damn smart.”

“I’m Keats, not Carmody! Remember that.” He dropped into the chair behind the desk. “Sit down, both of you.” Only Gabriel accepted the invitation. “Why don’t you take that thing off your face, Mrs. Lockard? You aren’t hiding from anybody, are you?”

Gabriel gave a short laugh. “She’s hiding her face from everybody. I spoiled it a little for her. She was going to sell me out to ... the guy in your body.”

Keats’ hand tightened on the arm of his chair. Lose his temper now and he lost the whole game. “It was a good body,” he said, not looking at the thing on the rug, trying not to remember the thing on the rug on the other side of town. “A very good body.” Through the veil, Helen’s shadowy eyes were fixed on his face. He wanted to see what Lockard had done to her, but he couldn’t tear off the veil, as he longed to do; he was afraid of the expression that might be revealed on her face--triumph when there should have been anguish; anguish when there should have been triumph.

“Not as good as the one I have here.” Lockard thumped his own chest, anxious to establish the value of the only ware he had left.

“Matter of opinion,” Keats said. “And mine was in better shape.”

“This one isn’t in bad condition,” Gabriel retorted defensively. “It could be brought back to peak in short order.”

“You won’t have much opportunity to do it, though. But maybe the government will do it for you; they don’t pamper prisoners, I understand, especially lifers.”


Gabriel whitened. “You’re an extralegal, Carmody--Keats,” he whined. “You know your course. You know how to hide from the hounds ... I’m a--a respectable citizen.” He spread his hands wide in exaggerated helplessness. “Strictly an amateur, that’s what I am--I admit I’ve been playing out of my league.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close