Star Guardian 2 - Cover

Star Guardian 2

Copyright© 2019 by Duncan7

Chapter 32: To Yastri

Now that we were on our way to Yastri, we needed to do housekeeping chores. I returned to the shuttle with Laine. We moved the supplies out of the shuttle and took them to the galley. Laine and I cleared out the Lagaid supplies and put away the Quard supplies.

“At least we won’t starve,” I said to Laine.

“Yes. This is much better than the Lagaid food,” she replied.

“Next we need to organize a place to sleep,” I said.

We went through the various cabins until we found one we liked, or rather that Laine liked. I found the spartan furnishings quite Tian. Then Laine and I had to clean everything to a reasonable level. Lagaid did not have Baglogi cleaning bots aboard this vessel, and it looked to me that the former crew did not take much pride in their vessel.

“We only have to endure this as far as Yastri,” I said.

“I understand Brian. I will put up with it,” she replied.

“Let’s clean up and get dinner. Working on this cabin made me feel dirty,” I said.

We cleaned up as best we could, and then we went back to the galley. There we prepared ourselves a meal. Quard food was one of my favourites so far.

“Can you really tell that Jem is alive?” asked Laine.

“It’s more of a hunch or a feeling. I can’t be sure,” I said.

Laine studied my face for a moment. “Ship, you examined the evidence. Was there any sign of an escape pod launch?”

“From the data gathered, there was no evidence of a launch. However, it is possible the explosion obscured an escape pod launch,” replied Ship.

“It sounds like a slim chance,” she said.

“I agree, but I feel obligated to run with it,” I said. What was I doing? This was the perfect chance to break free of this, and here I was racing about on a slim chance?


Armed Lagaid guards pulled Jem and Koluna out of the escape pod and secured them in a cabin. Their hopes of a rescue did not include capture by the enemy. Now locked in a cabin, on their way to Lagaid where they would face trial and execution.

Without help from Ship, how could Brian effect a rescue? Ship gave them a huge advantage over the enemy. Without it, the numbers of Lagaid would be the deciding factor.

Was Brian even aware that they were alive? They had no chance to send out a distress call; their tracking devices were useless now.

Jem cleared her mind and focused her thoughts on Brian. If you can sense this, know we are alive...


Days later, we arrived at the outer edge of the Yastri system. As we proceeded on sub-light engines, another Lagaid vessel appeared ahead of us.

“The vessel is hailing us. It is Tobis, on audio,” said Laine.

“That is our pirate decoy. Ship, can you turn it off? I don’t want to get killed by our own nano-bots,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. The Lagaid vessel soon disappeared from our display.

“I am glad that worked. Take us to an orbit around Yastri three above the island,” I said.

“Confirmed,” replied Ship. I did not know if it was agreeing to the first comment or acknowledging my order. Both would be my guess.

Our vessel continued on course for the planet.

“Ship, can you establish contact with Quon? Find out how far along the repairs are,” I said.

“Confirmed. Establishing relay communications,” replied Ship.

“This is Quon. Welcome to the Yastri system. Repairs and refit are complete,” said Quon.

“Quon, your voice is familiar?” I asked.

“Confirmed. I patterned my new voice based on a voiceprint of the late commander Quon of the Ori security forces. If that is not acceptable, I can change it,” replied Quon.

“No. It is a pleasant surprise. The late commander Quon was a friend of mine,” I said.

“Is Quon he or she?” asked Laine.

“Since I am an AI, I am gender neutral. But as my namesake was male, I will accept male pronouns to ease communication with crew members,” replied Quon.

“Thank you for the clarification Quon. We look forward to serving aboard you,” I added.

“Attention, we are now orbiting Yastri three,” said Ship.

“Thank you Ship. Please update Quon with data since our last visit here,” I said.

“Confirmed. Transferring data ... Complete,” said Ship.

“Quon, if you study the recent events, you will see we have little time to waste. We need you to take us to Lagaid to rescue Jem and Koluna. Are you ready to launch?” I asked.

“Confirmed. Launch in three, two, one,” replied Quon.

By adjusting ballast, Quon became more buoyant and floated to the surface. Off the coast of the island, it broke the surface of the ocean. Then it fired thrusters, and the huge Baglogi star cruiser lifted out of the water. It continued to rise, the front of the vessel pointed skywards. It broke the speed of sound as it rose into orbit.

Laine and I watched the rebirth of the vessel on the display. It was inspiring to see!

“Quon, how is it handling?” I asked.

“Systems are functioning within acceptable limits. I will dock with your vessel in five minutes,” replied Quon.

“Laine, we have five minutes. Bring only what you need,” I said.

“Yes commander,” she replied.

“Ship, now is the time for us to part company. Once we transfer over to Quon, you are to take over in this system. You get to direct the manufacturing facility and construct a new vessel for yourself. If we succeed, we will meet with you again,” I said.

“Understood and acknowledged, commander. Go find the captain. Jem was my responsibility. Her parents entrusted me with her care. I now pass that responsibility on to you,” replied Ship.

“I will find and save them,” I said.

By now, Quon was coming alongside to dock. Laine and I gathered what few things we had and moved to the airlock.


We crossed over to Quon via the airlock. Once the airlock closed behind us, Quon undocked and moved away from the Lagaid vessel.

We were in a corridor, and it looked so much like our old vessel it was uncanny. I could not tell the difference.

“Welcome aboard commander Brian, ensign Laine,” said Quon.

“Thank you. Are you equipped the same as Ship?” I asked.

“Confirmed. My AI is a clone of Ship. I rebuilt this vessel to the same configuration, equipped with a full complement of probes. In the shuttle bay is a duplicate shuttle with a clone AI for backup. I loaded up on materials for fabrication of whatever else you may need on future missions,” replied Quon.

“Same floor plan?” asked Laine.

“Confirmed,” replied Quon.

“Brian, I’ll stow the last of these supplies from Quard,” said Laine.

“Understood. I’ll go with you,” I said. We walked to the main dining lounge, and Laine put the supplies away. It looked just like the main dining lounge on Ship.

“Quon, do you need to do anything before we depart for Lagaid?” I asked.

“Confirmed. This is the first space-flight in over a century. I recommend we complete testing of the hull and all systems before we leave the system,” replied Quon.

“Please go ahead with testing. Do you need our involvement?” I asked.

“Negative. I will inform you when completed,” replied Quon.

“Let’s go to our cabin and freshen up,” I said. Laine smiled and nodded.


Laine and I took the elevator to level six and went to my cabin. My name was on the door just as it had aboard the earlier vessel. The interior looked the same, except it had a ‘new cabin’ smell to it.

We stripped off our uniforms and cleaned up and were glad to get into clean jumpsuits. I’d been wearing that same uniform since Quard, and it needed recycling.

“Care for a coffee?” I offered. Laine’s face lit up with her smile. I knew I said the right thing. By the time I walked over to the food dispenser, two cups of the beverage were waiting for me to collect. I carried them to the table, and we took a seat.

The only sound for the next few minutes was as we sipped coffee together. This stuff was awesome! I’d missed it since we left Quard.

“Quon, how is the testing going?” I asked.

“The testing is proceeding commander,” replied Quon.

“Is it safe to wander around the vessel during testing?”

“Confirmed. I will inform you in advance of any danger and if I need you to vacate a section.”

“Laine, would you like to take a walk with me?” I offered her my hand. Laine smiled at me. She took it and we left to explore our new vessel.


Laine and I wandered around the decks and corridors as we used to do on Ship. It looked the same, and that was both reassuring and sad. It was easy to imagine we were back on Ship, but then I knew we weren’t. We still had the task ahead of us; to locate and rescue Jem and Koluna.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close