Cut to the Quick - Cover

Cut to the Quick

Copyright© 2023 by C.Brink

Chapter 13: Extended Family

“Such an immensity of water.”

I waited for Riho to elaborate, but she remained silent. Her short human female form was tense as the clearly-transfixed alien slowly scanned the expanse of ocean surrounding us. We were currently standing at the outer railing of a secluded hilltop gazebo on the westernmost end of my island. The view from this high perch presented a sweeping panorama which extended from the southeast all the way around to the northeast. It was 18:20 in the evening, fifteen minutes before local sunset.

The Hemru had been downloaded into a fresh human-standard shell earlier in the day and had arrived on my island via wormhole just half an hour ago. Like most recent transits, the portal terminus location had been the main aircraft landing pad near my workshop. Ohmu and I had been the only ones waiting for the alien, as news of the ambassador’s arrival had not yet been disseminated to the island’s other guests.

As the island’s manager, Serenity had known of course, as had her young assistant Cassius. I’d also informed Sova Diduch as a courtesy, mainly because she’d been sleeping with me at the time I’d been notified of the alien’s revised schedule. The tall construction worker would be heading back to Vesta soon but had expressed an interest in meeting the alien before she left. I’d asked the three to be patient and let Ohmu and I handle the welcome, as I had wanted to avoid possibly overwhelming the Hemru.

Ohmu had revealed to me before the ambassador’s arrival that the Hemru was struggling with its new physical form. Despite having lived in a human-like body for weeks in accelerated virtual, reality was proving more difficult. Things as simple as walking upright were taxing to the Hemru. Its mental structures had evolved around controlling eight limbs in an almost prone stance and now, in a shell possessing only four, it lacked practice interpreting the human balance systems used to walk upright properly on only two.

Fortunately, technology was able to compensate to some extent. Using the shell’s advanced cranial implants, a partial presence of Xenius AI was acting as Riho’s augment. This allowed the Hemru to bypass the extensive physical therapy normally needed to properly integrate such drastic changes. A side benefit was that the AI also acted as a powerful internal conceptual translator.

Ohmu also warned me that the alien’s humanoid female shell was more compact than standard. When I first saw its arrival, I estimated its height at just over one hundred, thirty centimeters tall, or only ten centimeters taller than Ohmu had originally been before my companion rebuilt herself to be taller. Thankfully, (and somewhat disturbingly) the compact female shell was formed as a fully-developed, mature woman and not as an adolescent.

Not looking like an eight-year-old kid, despite the shell’s shortness, would help remind others (and me!) that we were dealing with an adult alien. We’d learned in virtual that Riho’s physical age when her mind recording had been embedded into the Hemru probe had been about half a century. This was considered relatively young by her species’ reckoning as they had had access to life-prolonging medical treatments for far longer than humans.

After Riho had been deposited on Heels, and after the alien had recovered from its first experience using wormhole transport, Ohmu and I had begun to show it around. We had started at my nearby workshop where I’d had to explain my current love of wood carving. I was happy to learn that the Hemru understood recreational crafting and similar art although it said her species preferred sculpting in stone.

I also used the main viewer in my workshop “office” to show the alien some of my old drawings and paintings. She was able to more-closely relate to these forms of artistic creation, as her species also practiced rendering on images and impressions on various forms of media.

As our tour left the workshop area, I quickly noticed that the Hemru was distracted by the island’s two nearby beach areas. I’d recalled that it had commented during our earlier virtual meeting about the Earth being cooler and wetter than it was used to. It dawned on me that large bodies of water like our oceans might be a novelty to the alien.

When I suggested that we delay the tour of the island’s facilities and structures and instead go look at the ocean, the Hemru had responded eagerly. Due to the lateness of the day, I decided to postpone visiting the busy beach area itself and instead seek out a higher vantage from which to observe the pending sunset.

The island’s tallest promontory was less than a kilometer away so off we went. We stuck to the paved interior trail as I had wanted both an easy hike and to preserve the grand reveal of the surrounding ocean for as long as possible. As we walked, ambassador Riho was commenting on the passing plant and animal life. Thankfully Ohmu fielded the burden of answering the Hemru’s many questions.

The Hemru was moving well in its new shell although we were proceeding slowly. It was apparent from the many slight hesitations that the AI augment was compensating where the alien’s mental control was lacking. Its gait was also noticeably unnatural, a fact that could have been attributed to either the alien or the AI.

It also moved its head and neck strangely as it observed its surroundings. Ohmu had also warned me about this before the Hemru had arrived. She had speculated that it was a byproduct of the Hemru mentality trying to function within the limits of the human shell’s binocular vision.

Where previously having eight eyestalks facing in all directions, having just two non-independent eyes must have been like being partially blindfolded. Again, Xenius AI, via the implant, was helping the Hemru compensate.

It was also strange and amusing to watch the alien stop and smell many of the items she was discussing with Ohmu. I finally broke down and asked the android sub vocally what was going on.

—The ambassador is new to the human sensation of smell, John. The Hemru’s original form has one combined sensation of taste and smell and she is unused to having two completely separate methods and is enjoying the novelty—

Twenty minutes later we’d arrived at the hilltop contemplation gazebo. I’d laughed at the Hemru’s sudden display of emotions at the sight of so much water. I was able to read its responses clearly in sequence which ranged from an initial look of fear being quickly replaced by awe and then curiosity.

“Yes, the ocean can be overwhelming at first sight,” I finally replied. “I remember the awe I felt when I first saw it. Tomorrow, we will take you swimming in the north lagoon.”

“You frolic in the water!?” Riho asked, amazement clearly showing on her petite face.

I chuckled at her expression. “Of course. It is said that humans evolved to be semi-aquatic.”

I gestured down towards her shell. As expected, though diminutive, it was still toned and physically fit. Despite that, her skin had yet to build any decent tolerance to the sun. As a result, she was currently wearing a light kaftan and a pair of traction socks.

“Our relative lack of body hair combined with our long limbs and the natural buoyancy of our bodies, all point to an evolved ability to tolerate and function decently in the water.” I gestured higher to her face. “Also, the shape of our nose may have evolved to allow us to breathe while swimming. Humans can swim quite fast compared to other land mammals.”

Riho shuddered slightly but did not immediately dismiss the notion.

“Of course, we’ll work with you to help you learn how to swim,” I said, to ease her fears.

I had to applaud her willingness to learn as much as she could about human beings and our way of life. Her reaction also gave me a new insight.

“Is our form as terrifying to you as the Hemru true form is to us?” I asked.

Riho considered the question for a long moment before responding. “I must admit to some feelings of revulsion. Those feelings are diminishing with time, however.”

I pondered that and refrained from further questions on the subject. The Hemru also remained silent and simply focused on the setting sun. The waves to the west were sparkling and the skies reddening as the orb of the sun kissed the horizon. Finally, after the distorted luminous body disappeared fully from view, Riho turned to me.

“I have never seen, nor have I imagined, such a sight. Thank you, John, for bringing me to this place and time to witness it firsthand.”

“You are welcome,” I simply replied.

Being near the equator meant that full darkness came rapidly. I saw two headlights start off from the garage compound and track down the path leading towards this gazebo. Naomi or Ohmu must have dispatched a pair of automated carts to convey us more quickly back to the island’s dwelling area.

The Hemru continued, “I am ... surprised, to be here, John.”

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“When I consented to allow my mental image to be taken, it was for selection purposes only as I was just one of many who offered themselves for consideration to be inserted into the memory archives of our probe being sent to your world. To be here now meant that of all the candidate minds, my contribution was chosen.”

“That’s a good thing though. You should be proud, right?”

“I admit that I did not expect the probe would succeed, or at least that if it did reach your world, that it would be intercepted and any mind images included in its memories, revived.”

I could understand that. I’d felt the same way upon being revived. Most notably back when I’d been revived as a woman and learned that I was just a copy and that my real body was still suspended somewhere else.

“Why do you think you were selected?” I asked.

“I suspect that it was a combination of being skilled at diplomacy and alien societal extrapolation combined with a general lack of detailed knowledge of our critical technologies.” Riho replied quietly.

I immediately thought of some of the politicians or celebrities of my past although the comparisons were probably not fair to the Hemru. I knew about protecting one’s technology. Hell, the Picket package that had been transmitted to the Earth had been sanitized to protect Assemblage secrets. It was only logical that the Hemru acted in a similar fashion when selecting who and what to send along with their probe.

“Well, I have only just begun to know you but I already think you are a fine emissary,” I offered.

Riho remained silent. I wasn’t sure what she was thinking so I continued, “You must have had some hope that we would be able to intercept the probe.”

“Yes. My mind image was included against just that unlikely occurrence. I must say, our estimation that your world would prevail against the enemy and remain in a position to do so was very, very low.”

I simply nodded. I was often amazed that we were still here also. The fading daylight caused the illuminated floor markings and path lights to come on. The alien ambassador took note of the illuminated scrollwork now marking each of the six pillars supporting the gazebo’s roof.

“L ... D...” she slowly enunciated. “What does this designation mean?”

“My daughter’s initials,” I replied. I went on to explain that my fifth daughter, Larissa Daring, had grown up on the island. I’d had this gazebo constructed as a special place just for her. I smiled as I traced the illuminated letters.

I’d forgotten that she’d marked the structure as her own ... or had I simply not ever been up here after dark? I’d have to ask her the next time she visited. The thought reminded me that I needed to give her and her sister Charity a call as it had been a while since I had last seen them both.

We were interrupted by the arrival of the automated carts. After the pair awkwardly managed to reverse themselves on the narrow trail, I waited while Ohmu assisted the unsteady alien into the lead car. The android climbed in with her while I took the second.

As we proceeded back down the path, I was able to overhear them conversing almost non-stop. I noted that the Hemru interacted with the android differently than most humans did. More like someone interacting with an appliance. Maybe interactions with the Hemru AIs were different?

As we passed my workshop I saw that there was already a bonfire burning at the north beach gathering area. Tonight was New Year’s Eve and Serenity had planned one hell of a party. I’d already explained the party’s details to Riho and extended an invitation if she wanted to attend. I was relieved when she indicated her preference to observe such a gathering from a distance.

Still, we planned to attend early on as the island’s guests were expecting to meet the alien. After a quick meet and greet, and before the commencement of feasting and imbibing, we planned to make our escape and return to my lodge and its more intimate surroundings. There, we could observe the party from the safety of my rooftop balcony. What the alien would make of naked humans dancing and singing around a fire I could only guess.


“Will you miss me?” Sova asked as we lay in my bed enjoying a post-coital cuddle. We’d enjoyed an extended morning of recreational frolicking as she was departing to return to duty on Vesta later this evening. I didn’t need my nearly two centuries of experience in dealing with the opposite sex to know that any answer other than “Of course I will miss you!” would have been a mistake.

She smiled when I replied just so. In truth, I would miss her. She was easy to talk to, especially considering her youth. She also clearly knew the boundaries of our relationship. In that, it was clear that I was just a fling for her and that fling was nearing its end date. Still, she treated her flings with a vigorous passion that had me smiling just remembering it.

Ohmu entered my bed chamber bearing a tray with cups and a carafe of coffee.

“Good morning, Sova! Good morning, John! I have coffee. Sova, your great-grandmother’s aircraft will be landing in twenty-two minutes.”

“Thanks, Ohmu,” she said, hopping out of bed and bounding to the bathroom. I remained but did pull myself up into a sitting position to receive the coffee Ohmu was pouring for me. I heard the rainfall shower turn on in the bathroom. Sova was taking advantage of the normal gravity to indulge in my abundant hot water.

“John, although they wish it to be a surprise, Hannah is bringing Alek with her. I estimate you would wish to know beforehand.”

“Thank you, Ohmu,” I said, as I sipped the perfectly prepared brew. Rather than upsetting me, I was glad to learn that my son was visiting. That he was coming with Hannah indicated that the pair were still mutually pursuing their goal of being personally involved with the pending attack against the enemy.

“How did Ambassador Riho fare last night?”

I caught Ohmu’s illuminated smirk before the android answered.

“She spent the night with Cassius in his quarters. It appears that her desire to better understand human mating techniques was at least partially fruitful. Do you want the details?”

“Not only no, but HELL no!” I blurted.

I’d had to draw the line last evening. Riho had stated that she wished to join Sova and me in my bedroom simply as an observer to study ‘the human phenomena of purely-recreational pseudo-procreation’. I’d declined, of course, invoking my personal requirements for privacy. I’d been somewhat exasperated and had absentmindedly recommended that the Hemru seek out Serenity or Cassius in order to learn such details. Apparently ... Shit!

“Ohmu! Was Serenity with them?” I asked, unable to stem my curiosity.

“No. Your great-granddaughter spent the night in her own quarters.”

Good. No, wait! I knew Serenity and Cassius had been spending some evenings together. Would my great-granddaughter be jealous of Cassius and the alien?

“Um, did she know that Cassius and Riho ... Um?”

“Yes. It was your great-granddaughter who recommended to the Hemru ambassador that experiencing the actual act would be far better than simply observing. While the word ‘dare’ was never uttered, she basically dared the alien to sleep with the young man.”

That sounded like something Serenity would do. I bet she thought it would be a humorous prank to play on the young man. Again, curiosity got the better of me.

“Um ... how did the alien react? Is Cassius alright?”

“There are recordings. I can edit out the awkward attempts at foreplay—”

“NO! That’s fine. I just want to know if either of them is traumatized ... or injured.” Maybe the alien mated like a female mantis or spider? Or maybe something equally disturbing like a Digger wasp injecting its eggs into a prey animal.

Ohmu’s face was now illuminated with an expression of mirth. “I believe both achieved their mutually desired outcomes, John. Cassius reacted much as all young men would. I suspect that having only recently gone through sexuality training and practice classes made him a suitably-understanding teacher to one new to the process. The Hemru seemed to react somewhat clinically, at least at first. Later, the increasing physical sensations undoubtedly felt by the ambassador’s fully-functional human shell caused the alien to—”

“Okay, I get it!” I interrupted. I wasn’t sure why I was reacting so prudishly about the subject. They were both adults after all and their shells had full fertility blocks in place. And Riho had an AI augment guiding her every ... ugg! I had to get the topic off my mind.

“I’m hungry,” I blurted, mostly to change the subject.

“Breakfast is being prepared as we speak. Hannah and Alek have not recently eaten and it was decided that the six of you could share a combined meal upon their arrival,” Ohmu stated.

“Six?”

“Yes. Cassius and Riho have also just awakened and will be joining the group. Having already broken her fast, Serenity is currently elsewhere seeing to the needs of the island’s guests.”

I chugged the rest of my coffee and hopped out of bed. Sova was still showering when I finished relieving myself but I chose the separate sonic cleansing chamber to allow us to finish faster. I’m sure our guests would not appreciate waiting while we dallied in the shower together longer than necessary. Besides, I was truly hungry and my stomach currently had the upper hand.


Midmorning found Alek and me relaxing under the sunshade of my workshop patio. It was nearly a perfect day, calm and warm with plenty of sun. Ohmu had served us both iced tea and then had gone off to the north beach area to assist Cassius as they taught the Hemru ambassador to swim and snorkel.

Hannah’s dog Misty was keeping near Ohmu. The augmented pet had arrived with her and was enjoying both the unlimited water and the attention from the numerous new humans on the beach. I’d made no rules regarding pets being on Heels so his presence was not taboo.

These days, most companion animals were augmented to some extent, which ensured that they remained under control. No worries about guests being bitten or animals crapping where they weren’t allowed. In fact, pets were far less of a bother than their masters. I smiled as I considered a pet-only island.

With the good weather, the northern beach area was full of activity. The majority of the island’s guests were in attendance, sunning themselves or playing in the water while trying to be circumspect about gawking at the alien in their midst.

Nearby, in the outdoor sports area, Hannah and her descendant Sova were playing a round of vectorball. The game resembled tennis except that the ball was speed-limited and trajectory-fixed by technology. It reminded me somewhat of wiffleball with the ball’s slower movements, but the lack of dips and curving flight made it more like 3D pong.

Those facts, and also that the game was played on a paved square without nets made the game unique. The player’s movements were limited by the same magnetics which guided and suspended the ball.

The technology acted on their ability to accelerate and decelerate via ankle and wrist bands. Add in that the dampening effect on the players was tied to the velocity of the ball made the game extremely challenging to master. I was solidly a novice.

“I forgot how tranquil this place is,” Alek said.

“You’re welcome here any time, Son. You know that.”

“I’m still surprised you now allow guests. Heaven forbid you allow strangers to intrude on your solitary domain.”

“I’m not that antisocial,” I argued.

He just stared at me.

“Well, maybe I was ... a little,” I admitted. “But I’m trying to turn over a new leaf. I think spending nearly a decade alone wandering around Mongolia and northern China changed me.”

I recalled my recent meeting with Jonathon. We shared the same mental foundations and he’d managed to maintain a life of solitude many times longer than I had. I guess antisocial tendencies were part of who we were.

We remained silent for a moment, simply watching the activity at the beach area and on the vectorball court. I took the opportunity to covertly study my son. As always, he was very reserved, the epitome of ‘in control.’ His current shell was older than mine, probably in its forties. It was likely the same one he’d been downloaded into after the Vexatis had left. After I’d gone against his wishes and had him reshelled here on Earth.

Despite his shell’s age, he looked to have kept it in peak physical condition. Under his nearly hairless bronze skin was a lean but strong body, corded with well-defined musculature. I was surprised that he no longer went completely bald. Instead, he now sported a shoulder-length queue that covered the small cranial data ports he’d had installed.

Like his mother, Alek modified his shells to allow for direct physical interface with our digital partners. Unlike Uxe’s extensive brain alterations and enhancement modifications, Alek’s interface ports were basic. Just simply physical backups to the standard wireless neural webs most shells had, including mine.

It was a combat precaution, a direct interface in case the wireless systems were jammed by some future foe. But despite their simple role, the visible physical alterations on his shell reminded me of his mother and I frowned, recalling the last time I had seen her in deep interface.

Alek had noticed, “What is it, Dad?”

“I was just thinking about your mother. She has given so much for our cause and for her work.”

Alek said nothing at first but I noticed that he now had a slight frown of his own. I felt bad for spoiling the mood.

“So, what do you think of your sister falling in love with the enemy?” I asked.

That made Alek smile.

“Picket is no more the enemy than any random human. The compressed mind-data which was sent to Earth was barely sentient. Along with not including any information threatening to the Assemblage, they skipped sending anything that would really make him a threat to humans.”

“You don’t think there is anything to worry about hidden deep in his psyche?” I asked.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close