City of Endless Night - Cover

City of Endless Night

Public Domain

Chapter XIII

IN WHICH A WOMAN ACCUSES ME OF MURDER AND I PLACE A RUBY NECKLACE ABOUT HER THROAT

~1~

Anxious to renew my acquaintance with Captain Grauble at the earliest opportunity, I sent my social secretary to invite him to meet me for a dinner engagement in one of the popular halls of the Free Level.

When I reached the dining hall I found Captain Grauble awaiting me. But he was not alone. Seated with him were two girls and so strange a picture of contrast I had never seen. The girl on his right was an extreme example of the prevailing blonde type. Her pinkish white skin seemed transparent, her eyes were the palest blue and her hair was bright yet pale gold. About her neck was a chain of blue stones linked with platinum. She was dressed in a mottled gown of light blue and gold, and so subtly blended were the colours that she and her gown seemed to be part of the same created thing. But on Grauble’s left sat a woman whose gown was flashing crimson slashed with jetty black. Her skin was white with a positive whiteness of rare marble and her cheeks and lips flamed with blood’s own red. The sheen of her hair was that of a raven’s wing, and her eyes scintillated with the blackness of polished jade.

The pale girl, whom Grauble introduced as Elsa, languidly reached up her pink fingers for me to kiss and then sank back, eyeing me with mild curiosity. But as I now turned to be presented to the other, I saw the black-eyed beauty shrink and cower in an uncanny terror. Grauble again repeated my name and then the name of the girl, and I, too, started in fear, for the name he pronounced was “Katrina” and there flashed before my vision the page from the diary that I had first read in the dank chamber of the potash mine. In my memory’s vision the words flamed and shouted: “In no other woman have I seen such a blackness of hair and eyes, combined with such a whiteness of skin.”

The girl before me gave no sign of recognition, but only gripped the table and pierced me with the stare of her beady eyes. Nervously I sank into a seat. Grauble, standing over the girl, looked down at her in angry amazement. “What ails you?” he said roughly, shaking her by the shoulder.

But the girl did not answer him and annoyed and bewildered, he sat down. For some moments no one spoke, and even the pale Elsa leaned forward and seemed to quiver with excitement.

Then the girl, Katrina, slowly rose from her chair. “Who are you?” she demanded, in a hoarse, guttural voice, still gazing at me with terrified eyes.

I did not answer, and Grauble again reached over and gripped the girl’s arm. “I told you who he was,” he said. “He is Herr Karl von Armstadt of the Chemical Staff.”

But, the girl did not sit down and continued to stare at me. Then she raised a trembling hand and, pointing an accusing finger at me, she cried in a piercing voice:

“You are not Karl Armstadt, but an impostor posing as Karl Armstadt!”

We were located in a well-filled dancing café, and the tragic voice of the accuser brought a crowd of curious people about our table. Captain Grauble waved them back. As they pushed forward again, a street guard elbowed in, brandishing his aluminum club and asking the cause of the commotion. The bystanders indicated Katrina and the guard, edging up, gripped her arm and demanded an explanation.

Katrina repeated her accusation.

“Evidently,” suggested Grauble, “she has known another man of the same name, and meeting Herr von Armstadt has recalled some tragic memory.”

“Perhaps,” said the guard politely, “if the gentleman would show the young lady his identification folder, she would be convinced of her error.”

For a moment I hesitated, realizing full well what an inquiry might reveal.

“No,” I said, “I do not feel that it is necessary.”

“He is afraid to show it,” screamed the girl. “I tell you he is trying to pass for Armstadt but he is some one else. He looks like Karl Armstadt and at first I thought he was Karl Armstadt, but I know he is not.”

I looked swiftly at the surrounding faces, and saw upon them suspicion and accusation. “There may be something wrong,” said a man in a military uniform, “otherwise why should the gentleman of the staff hesitate to show his folder?”

“Very well,” I said, pulling out my folder.

The guard glanced at it. “It seems to be all right,” he said, addressing the group about the table; “now will you kindly resume your seats and not embarrass these gentlemen with your idle curiosity?”

“Let me see the folder!” cried Katrina.

“Pardon,” said the guard to me, “but I see no harm,” and he handed her the folder.

She glanced over it with feverish haste.

“Are you satisfied now?” questioned the guard.

“Yes,” hissed the black-eyed girl; “I am satisfied that this is Karl Armstadt’s folder. I know every word of it, but I tell you that the man who carries it now is not the real Karl Armstadt.” And then she wheeled upon me and screamed, “You are not Karl Armstadt, Karl Armstadt is dead, and you have murdered him!”

In an instant the café was in an uproar. Men in a hundred types of uniform crowded forward; small women, rainbow-garbed, stood on the chairs and peered over taller heads of ponderous sisters of the labour caste. Grauble again waved back the crowd and the guard brandished his club threateningly toward some of the more inquisitive daughters of labour.

When the crowd had fallen back to a more respectful distance, the guard recovered my identification folder from Katrina and returned it to me. “Perhaps,” he said, “you have known the young lady and do not again care to renew the acquaintance? If so, with your permission, I shall take her where she will not trouble you again this evening.”

“That may be best,” I replied, wondering how I could explain the affair to Captain Grauble.

“The incident is most unfortunate,” said the Captain, evidently a little nettled, “but I think this rude force unnecessary. I know Katrina well, but I did not know she had previously known Herr von Armstadt. This being the case, and he seeming not to wish to renew the acquaintance, I suggest that she leave of her own accord.”

But Katrina was not to be so easily dismissed. “No,” she retorted, “I will not leave until this man tells me how he came by that identification folder and what became of the man I loved, whom he now represents himself to be.”

At these words the guard, who had been about to leave, turned back.

I glanced apprehensively at Grauble who, seeing that I was grievously wrought up over the affair, said quietly to the officer, “You had best take her away.”

Katrina, with a black look of hatred at Grauble, went without further words, and the curious crowd quickly melted away. The three of us who remained at the table resumed our seats and I ordered dinner.

“My, how Katrina frightened me!” exclaimed the fragile Elsa.

“She does have temper,” admitted Grauble. “Odd, though, that she would conceive that idea that you were some one else. I have heard of all sorts of plans of revenge for disappointments in love, but that is a new one.”

“You really know her?” questioned Elsa, turning her pale eyes upon me.

“Oh, yes, I once knew her,” I replied, trying to seem unconcerned; “but I did not recognize her at first.”

“You mean you didn’t care to,” smiled Grauble. “Once a man had known that woman he would hardly forget her.”

“But you must have had a very emotional affair with her,” said Elsa, “to make her take on like that. Do tell us about it.”

“I would rather not; there are some things one wishes to forget.”

Grauble chided his dainty companion for her prying curiosity and tried to turn the conversation into less personal channels. But Elsa’s appetite for romance had been whetted and she kept reverting to the subject while I worried along trying to dismiss the matter. But the ending of the affair was not to be left in my hands; as we were sitting about our empty cups, we saw Katrina re-enter the café in company with a high official of the level and the guard who had taken her away.

“I am sorry to disturb you,” said the official, addressing me courteously, “but this girl is very insistent in her accusation, and perhaps, if you will aid us in the matter, it may prevent her making further charges that might annoy you.”

“And what do you wish me to do?”

“I suggest only that you should come to my office. I have telephoned to have the records looked up and that should satisfy all and so end the matter.”

“You might come also,” added the official, turning to Grauble, but he waved back the curious Elsa who was eager to follow.

When we reached his office in the Place of Records, the official who had brought us thither turned to a man at a desk. “You have received the data on missing men?” he inquired.

The other handed him a sheet of paper.

The official turned to Katrina. “Will you state again, please, the time that you say the Karl Armstadt you knew disappeared?”

Katrina quite accurately named the date at which the man whose identity I had assumed had been called to the potash mines.

“Very well,” said the official, taking up the sheet of paper, “here we have the list of missing men for four years compiled from the weighers’ records. There is not recorded here the disappearance of a single chemist during the whole period. If another man than a chemist should try to step into a chemist’s shoes, he would have a rather difficult time of it.” The official laughed as if he thought himself very clever.

“But that man is not Karl Armstadt,” cried Katrina in a wavering voice. “Do you think I would not know him when every night for--”

“Shut up,” said the official, “and get out of here, and if I hear anything more of this matter I shall subtract your credit.”

Katrina, now whimpering, was led from the room. The official beamed upon Capt. Grauble and myself. “Do you see,” he said, “how perfectly our records take care of these crazy accusations? The black haired one is evidently touched in the head with jealousy, and now that she has chanced upon you, she makes up this preposterous story, which might cause you no end of annoyance, but here we have the absolute refutation of the charge. Before a man can step into another’s shoes, he must step out of his own. Murdered bodies can be destroyed, although that is difficult, but one man cannot be two men!”

We left the official chuckling over his cleverness.

“The Keeper of Records was wise after his kind,” mused Grauble, “but it never occurred to him that there might be chemists in the world who are not registered in the card files of Berlin.”

Grauble’s voice sounded a note of aloofness and suspicion. Had he penetrated my secret? Did I dare make full confession? Had Grauble given me the least encouragement I should have done so, but he seemed to wish to avoid further discussion and I feared to risk it.

The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close