Shiloh
Chapter 17: Planning

Copyright© 2005 Ernest Bywater & R. Michael Lowe aka The Scot

Charlotte knocks at the doorway to Kyle’s bedroom. When he looks up to see who’s there she feels pain emanating from the depths of his soul. She’s never seen her son like this before. Being a good mother she naturally tries to console her son, even if she’s in the dark as to the problem. She sits beside him, and wraps him in her arms while she asks, “What’s wrong, Kyle?”

“We went down to open the CyberFun safe for Stanley. The new owners refused to even shake our hands. What’s worse, they fired us in front of all the customers and employees while also accusing us of embezzlement. I’m sure it’s part of Robert’s sick scheme, but it still hurts. Many of those people have known KK and I since we first opened our doors.”

“Why would you think Robert would do something like that? That seems over the top, even for him.”

“My suspicion is he wants to make your company my only option for employment and ditching KK will be one of the requirements for the job. What I don’t understand is why he dislikes her so much?”

“I’m beginning to question that myself. My asshole husband is like how that Red October movie described a Russian - he doesn’t take a dump without a plan. Getting you to Houston I can understand. I’d love to have you there myself. But I see no rhyme or reason to break up the two of you. Especially after seeing how beautiful and sophisticated Kathleen can be when the situation calls for it.”

Kyle cracks a brief smile, “She does clean-up well, doesn’t she?”

“All I can say, Son, is she sure surprised the hell out of me. Not only that, but your sisters and I already consider her more a part of this family than Robert will ever be. If he thinks he’s going to railroad the two of you on this he’ll soon find me kicking ass and taking names.”

“Thanks, Mom. You don’t know how much your support helps. Just don’t get discouraged if things get worse before they get better.”

“How’s that?”

“Our attorney thinks they’ll try to get us arrested. In fact, I wouldn’t put it past Robert to have me arrested during the funeral.”

“What’s Stanley advised you to do?”

“He says we’re to stay cool until he can strike, but, at the moment, I’m feeling like a tethered goat that’s bait for a tiger. What’s worse, I think I’m handling this better than Kathleen.”

“Why would that be?” asks Charlotte.

“Mom, KK’s mom often assists in the kitchen when things get hectic. Because of that a lot of those people know her and know she’s KK and Ryan’s mother. Kathleen feels this will also discredit Beverly and throw her back into depression.”

“Ouch. I guess I need to see Beverly as soon as the funeral is over.”

“Mom, I’d appreciate it if you’d take a few minutes to call her now. Invite her to come with us, or go with you somewhere after the funeral. It’s taken us a long time to get her out of the bottle, and if she goes back we may never do it again.”

“I didn’t know about that. Thanks for the warning, as my normal thing would have been to invite her out for a drink. I’ll come up with an alternative plan as she and I talk, but you need to start getting ready.”

“OK, but one more quick question. Do you happen to know where Robert’s laptop will be this afternoon?”

“Unless he brings it here, which I would seriously doubt, it’ll be on the desk in our suite.”

“Then, if I may, I need your room’s key-card, along with a note to authorize Ryan Kennedy to access your room?”

“If you’re having Ryan check it out the password is GreedIsGood.”

“Are you shitting me?”

“No, he thinks of Michael Douglas’ character as his hero.”

“And you knew this?”

“He didn’t tell me, but I saw him enter it one night.”

“And you let him continue to run Texas State Energy? Mom, you’re causing me to lose respect for you, moment by moment.”

“OK, maybe I am a dumb blond; but, until you said something I’d kept the two separate in my mind. Now I don’t know what to do.”

“For the moment, concentrate on encouraging Beverly, and let’s get past this funeral. I’ve a feeling the next two days are going to be rather wild. After that I suspect the problem with Robert may work itself out.”

“I agree concerning Robert. I’m now worried about the company.”

“You know something funny, Mom?”

“I could use a laugh at the moment.”

“Robert could get his wish about getting me involved Texas State Energy - as his replacement!”

“You’d do that?”

“It’s something KK and I’ll have to consider, at least on a temporary basis. I can assure you of one thing, there will be some wholesale changes made concerning the company’s structure. KK made an astute observation yesterday. Robert is either a control freak or an adrenaline junkie. There’s no reason he should have so many emergencies, even in a company the size of Texas State Energy.”

“I really was blind, wasn’t I, Son?”

“Maybe to some degree, Mom, but if you can’t trust your mate, who can you trust? You had different priorities and goals as you expected him to carry his end of the deal. If anyone was to blame it was me. Instead of going to you with my concerns I rebelled and fled to the Army.”

“I don’t know if it would have made a difference, Kyle. You didn’t have any facts to support your feelings and I would’ve dismissed them as part of your animosity toward Robert. Now, though we don’t have all the facts, we’ve enough for me to pull the plug. While you get ready for the funeral I’m calling my attorney to start divorce proceedings.”

“Won’t he end up with half of your assets?”

“Prenuptial agreement says he gets one million if I start proceedings and nothing if he initiates them. In addition, if he’s convicted of a felony he loses everything. I’ve a feeling I’m not going to owe him a cent.”

“OK, Mom. I’ll get ready in a minute, but I need to go apologize to Kathleen.” When his Mom leaves his bedroom Kyle goes to the guest room door and knocks.

“Who is it?” asks his crying girlfriend and partner.

“It’s me,” Kyle replies. “I need to talk to you.”

“Can’t it wait, I’m really not in the mood to see you at the moment.”

“No, Sweetheart, it can’t wait. I just had a talk with Mom.”

Kathleen slowly opens the door. Her eyes are red and her cheeks are damp. Kyle enters the room and closes the door. He immediately takes KK into his arms and hugs her. After a long minute he softly kisses each of her eyes before softly saying, “I think we can tone it down a bit. Mom is pissed at Robert to the point of divorce and she’ll be immediately receptive to anything Ryan discovers.”

“Kyle, Honey, I’ll still be hurting a lot over the humiliation, but at least I won’t have to act like I’m angry with you.”

“Good, but there is something from Mom and my conversation you need to start thinking about.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close