Butterfly 9
Chapter IV

Public Domain

He passed a wakeful night. In the early morning, he looked up to see a little man with a briefcase at his cell door.

“Wish joy, Mr. Elliott,” the man said coolly. “I am one of Mr. Bullen’s barmen. You know, represent at law? He sent me to arrange your release, if you are ready to be reasonable.”

Jeff lay there and put his hands behind his head. “I doubt if I’m ready. I’m comfortable here. By the way, how did you know where I was?”

“No problem. When we read in this morning’s newspapers about a man claiming to be a time traveler, we knew.”

“All right. Now start explaining. Until I understand where I am, Bullen isn’t getting me out of here.”

The lawyer smiled and sat down. “Mr. Kersey told you yesterday--you’ve gone back six years. But you’ll need some mental gymnastics to understand. Time is a dimension, not a stream of events like a movie film. A film never changes. Space does--and time does. For example, if a movie showed a burning house at Sixth and Main, would you expect to find a house burning whenever you returned to that corner?”

“You mean to say that if I went back to 1865, I wouldn’t find the Civil War was over and Lincoln had been assassinated?”

“If you go back to the time you call 1865--which is most easily done--you will find that the people there know nothing of a Lincoln or that war.”

Jeff looked blank. “What are they doing then?”

The little man spread his hands. “What are the people doing now at Sixth and Main? Certainly not the same things they were doing the day of the fire. We’re talking about a dimension, not an event. Don’t you grasp the difference between the two?”

“Nope. To me, 1865 means the end of the Civil War. How else can you speak of a point in time except by the events that happened then?”

“Well, if you go to a place in three-dimensional space--say, a lake in the mountains--how do you identify that place? By looking for landmarks. It doesn’t matter that an eagle is soaring over a mountain peak. That’s only an event. The peak is the landmark. You follow me?”

“So far. Keep talking.”


The little man looked pleased. “Very well. In the fourth dimension--which is time--you do the same thing. You look around to see what is visible where you are. My contemporaries can see that freedom is unnecessary, that time travel is practical. Your people have not reached that place in time yet. But yours can see the technical facts about color television. Those facts are not visible yet to anyone here.”

“You mean that these inventions--”

“Oh, no, no, no, Mr. Elliott,” the little man said indignantly. “Don’t call them inventions. There are no inventions. None. There are only truths--scientific principles waiting through eternity for someone to discover them.”

“I must be dense, but--”

“Did your Columbus invent America? Did someone invent fire? The possibility of time travel, of color television, of any phase of social progress--these are facts. They stand up in the time dimension like mountains. Waves of humanity meander through the time dimension like caravans of immigrants crossing a continent. The first man in any wave to see the mountain peak claims that he ‘invented’ it. Soon it is clearly visible to everyone. While the people of my wave know of time travel, there are human caravans, following us many years back in time, just now discovering steam.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close