Mizora: a Prophecy
Chapter VIII

Public Domain

The conversation that I had with Wauna gave me so much uneasiness that I sought her mother. I cannot express the shock I felt at hearing such youthful and innocent lips speak of the absurdity of religious forms, ceremonies, and creeds. She regarded my belief in them as a species of barbarism. But she had not convinced me. I was resolved not to be convinced. I believed she was in error.

Surely, I thought, a country so far advanced in civilization, and practicing such unexampled rectitude, must, according to my religious teaching, have been primarily actuated by religious principles which they had since abandoned. My only surprise was that they had not relapsed into immorality, after destroying church and creed, and I began to feel anxious to convince them of the danger I felt they were incurring in neglecting prayer and supplication at the throne to continue them in their progress toward perfection of mental and moral culture.

I explained my feelings to the Preceptress with great earnestness and anxiety for their future, intimating that I believed their immunity from disaster had been owing to Divine sufferance. “For no nation,” I added, quoting from my memory of religious precepts, “can prosper without acknowledging the Christian religion.”

She listened to me with great attention, and when I had finished, asked:

“How do you account for our long continuance in prosperity and progress, for it is more than a thousand years since we rooted out the last vestige of what you term religion, from the mind. We have had a long immunity from punishment. To what do you attribute it?”

I hesitated to explain what had been in my mind, but finally faltered out something about the absence of the male sex. I then had to explain that the prisons and penitentiaries of my own land, and of all other civilized lands that I knew of, were almost exclusively occupied by the male sex. Out of eight hundred penitentiary prisoners, not more than twenty or thirty would be women; and the majority of them could trace their crimes to man’s infidelity.

“And what do you do to reform them?” inquired the Preceptress.

“We offer them the teachings of Christianity. All countries, however, differ widely in this respect. The government of my country is not as generous to prisoners as that of some others. In the United States every penitentiary is supplied with a minister who expounds the Gospel to the prisoners every Sunday; that is once every seven days.”

“And what do they do the rest of the time?”

“They work.”

“Are they ignorant?”

“Oh, yes, indeed;” I replied, earnestly. “You could not find one scholar in ten thousand of them. Their education is either very limited, or altogether deficient.”

“Do the buildings they are confined in cost a great deal?”

“Vast sums of money are represented by them; and it often costs a community a great deal of money to send a criminal to the penitentiary. In some States the power to pardon rests entirely with the governor, and it frequently occurs that a desperate criminal, who has cost a county a great deal of money to get rid of him, will be pardoned by the governor, to please a relative, or, as it is sometimes believed, for a bribe.”

“And do the people never think of educating their criminals instead of working them?

“That would be an expense to the government,” I replied.

“If they would divide the time, and compel them to study half a day as rigorously as they make them work, it would soon make a vast change in their morals. Nothing so ennobles the mind as a broad and thorough education.”

“They are all compelled to listen to religious instruction once a week,” I answered. “That surely ought to make some improvement in them. I remember hearing an American lady relate her attendance at chapel service in a State penitentiary one Sunday. The minister’s education was quite limited, as she could perceive from the ungrammatical language he used, but he preached sound orthodox doctrine. The text selected had a special application to his audience: ‘Depart from me ye accursed, into everlasting torment prepared for the Devil and his angels.’ There were eight hundred prisoners, and the minister assured them, in plain language, that such would surely be their sentence unless they repented.”

“And that is what you call the consolations of religion, is it?” asked the Preceptress with an expression that rather disconcerted me; as though my zeal and earnestness entirely lacked the light of knowledge with which she viewed it.

“That is religious instruction;” I answered. “The minister exhorted the prisoners to pray and be purged of their sins. And it was good advice.”

“But they might aver,” persisted the Preceptress, “that they had prayed to be restrained from crime, and their prayers had not been answered.”

“They didn’t pray with enough faith, then;” I assured her in the confidence of my own belief. “That is wherein I think my own church is so superior to the other religions of the world,” I added, proudly. “We can get the priest to absolve us from sin, and then we know we are rid of it, when he tells us so.”

“But what assurance have you that the priest can do so?” asked the Preceptress.

“Because it is his duty to do so.”

 
There is more of this chapter...
The source of this story is SciFi-Stories

To read the complete story you need to be logged in:
Log In or
Register for a Free account (Why register?)

Get No-Registration Temporary Access*

* Allows you 3 stories to read in 24 hours.

Close